Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I personally believe that there are comparatively few instances where the average person should be drug tested to begin with. Some examples in which I find the practice OK:
  • Arriving at the ER unconscious
  • During the examination of the deceased, if specifically necessary or otherwise authorized
I say this as an employer, for what it's worth. I simply find little sense in the practice, and the practice itself is already applied in a woefully inconsistent (albeit deliberate) fashion.
I completely agree and this push to drug test people who are receiving social service benefits has nothing to to with any legitimate concern that they are using drugs, it's done to cast dispersion on their character and lead to further 'shaming'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:56 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Unfortunately, TOO many "I don't wanna work vs I CAN'T work" folks on SSDI have screwed those that NEED it vs WANT it.

Sad, but true!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:15 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,274,180 times
I can't even read past the first page because these attitudes make me sick. For every judge approving "99%" of cases, there is five more approving under 30%

Mental DISORDERS are DISORDERS. Try working a senintary job while having flashbacks of your rape and/or time at war and let us know how well you do at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not just people it's also judges. Takes 3 denials and then you go in front of a judge.
You have some judges with a 99% approval rate on SSDI petitions.

And historically SSDI spikes during economic downturns with job losses.
And this time is especially bad because they changed the rules for what qualifies which added more subjective disabilities. More than 50% of claims are for mental impairments.

For some it has become long term unemployment until SS kicks in.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I would really like to see more done with fraudulent claims. I have seen SO many instances of people who work under the table making more money than many other workers. I lived in an interesting area where it seemed to be over-the-line and it doesn't seem that what I saw was unusual: Facilitating Fraud: How SSDI Gives Benefits to the Able Bodied | Cato Institute

Before they borrow from SS, they need to take a good and hard look at other options.
social security's acting commissioner has made fraud her top priority; creating a new fraud unit to beef up investigations of fraud by all involved (claimants, doctors, judges, etc.). This is a lot of fraud taking place but more and more folks are being caught and prosecuted. That said, the current program is unsustainable without major tax increases or shifting budgets and, changing some of the criteria for disability. The current system rewards folks for NOT returning to work once they are on the rolls. They need to offer incentives for folks to obtain new training and job preparedness that can accomodate their disability and not cut them off until they are secure in their new employment.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Unfortunately, TOO many "I don't wanna work vs I CAN'T work" folks on SSDI have screwed those that NEED it vs WANT it.

Sad, but true!
NO, that's just not true. Conservatives don't like to spend money on any social programs, so they engage in "shaming" in order to gain support for cutting or eliminating the program. It started with Reagan's poor shaming and has been going on ever since. You find one example and impugn all people with that example This is just a new spin on that - "disabled shaming". Who's next? Maybe the elderly..they could always shame the adult children of the elderly and claim that the Government shouldn't pay SS benefits because it is the responsibility of a family to take care of their own elderly. Or, how about disabled vet shaming? After all, vets can get SSDI and a VA pension at the same time..I can hear it now "Vets are 'double dippers'.

We just need to refuse to buy the BS

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-27-2015 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Why would I care? far as im concerned the money they took from each for SSI I would never ever see again even after hitting the age to collect due to some gov red tape or something. So why would i get upset at them basically telling me my suspicions had always been correct?

Each time they take out money claiming it to be for SSI or anything think of it as a friend/relative borrowing money and saying "I promise to pay you back".

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/us...-say.html?_r=0

What do you think? If this happens, I feel bad for those who truly need it to survive.
I agree. Sadly, many people who do not really need it have continued to abuse the system, and there is a very real risk that this could result in shortfalls for those who honestly and genuinely need it.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I agree. Sadly, many people who do not really need it have continued to abuse the system, and there is a very real risk that this could result in shortfalls for those who honestly and genuinely need it.
yep you just keep buying that lie and wait until they come after your old age pension or your parent's. I will gleefully remind you that "I told you so".

Why can't you understand that you are being fed a big lie just as you were with the poor and the meme that they are lazy, ungrateful, don't really want to work and need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They don't even need to dream up new shaming campaigns, they can just cross out poor and replace it with disabled, elderly, or veteran.

Who is doing this? Whoever would benefit from the government having more money to spend on things other than social programs. Much of it is coordinated through ALEC, that way legislators don't even have to write their own bills, they call ALEC and get boiler plate legislation. Here's an example, ALEC has generously provided pre-written legislation calling for the privatization of Social Security Resolution Urging Congress to Modernize the Social Security System with Personal Retirement Accounts - PRAs Exposed - ALEC Exposed

The push to cut or eliminate SSDI started with Reagan
"the Gipper’s plan to whack Social Security Disability Insurance. Republicans, he discovered, planned to denounce the liberal program as a scandal of fraud and waste. A fire storm of controversy erupted after his story appeared. The White House first denied it. Then the White House confirmed the story but said the facts were wrong. On the third or fourth day, the White House announced the program was snuffed"

Insight into the sneaky plan to cut Social Security Benefits
The people who tell you that Social Security will be "broke" are hoping that, faced with that (fictional) nightmare, you might be willing to accept steep benefit cuts now. But we don't have to -- the projected shortfall can be fixed with some very modest changes, like raising the payroll tax cap (right now you only pay payroll taxes on the first $117,000 of your wages, which means that the wealthy actually pay less as a proportion of their income than the rest of us) or gradually raising the payroll tax by a point in tiny increments over an extended period.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 AM

Fox calls Vets Triple Dippers http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/01...cial-security/

GOP rule change to cut SSDI by 20% House Rule Could Hurt Vulnerable Disability Beneficiaries | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

SSDI fraud reported to be .04% Social Security disability payments will be cut by a fifth if Congress doesn’t act - The Washington Post

Moral of the story, if they get away with this, you'd better not be poor, disabled, elderly or a disabled vet in this Country

Old 07-27-2015, 11:55 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Disabled people are easy to rob. Even in Berkeley, the city of enlightenment, thugs rob blind people because of how easy they are. The feds and republicans just want to get in on the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events