Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I was referring to those who don't make it public and I'm discounting the game hunters but referring to people you'd never think would pay a lot of money to kill exotic game.

Take your pick. What if it came out that David Letterman paid 100 grand to shoot a Leopard? Might there be a backlash over that? Pretty sure that since this incident it would make some news. Of course it is unlikely that he did something like that but you see my point?

A lot of people highly placed in society have and still do things that were it known to the public, it would change quite a few things for them. People will accept in some form, a husband beating his wife (Hello Whitney) cheating on their Spouse (Hello Hillary) and things like that but when it comes to killing animals, for some reason people see that as far worse than almost anything else.

It's coming out. What it depends on is who will be first. This can't not happen, it has already started and now it is just a matter of a little time.

I think that every single person who participates in these barbaric activities SHOULD be publicized so that their friends, family, customers, colleagues, clients, fans and the general public knows what sociopaths they really are.....

I do not hunt.... It's not my thing.... but I have a lot of friends who DO hunt and I don't have a problem with that..... every single one of them that I have spoken to about this is APPALLED at how this whole thing went down and abhors the thought of trophy hunting and canned hunting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So is this just a passive aggressive and roundabout way of saying that you approve of Dr. Palmer's lifestyle?
No, this my direct way of saying that people who lose their s#it over a lion and wish all sorts of sickly imaginative tortures for a fellow human being (but are anti-capital punishment, pro-'choice', no doubt) are low grade people.

I have no problem with lawful, ethical hunting or hunters. If this guy's a poacher, then he is a criminal and should be treated as one, but the perverted fantasies of a bunch of Disney-ized dysfunctional children should not be indulged.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
You'd better take up your concerns with Twitter.
Don't you mean the powers that be at c-d?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it upsets me, because we have no business to fly over to countries like this and just take whatever we want. It is the epitome of "Ugly American" to me. I think this man should have to compensate the people of this area, at the very least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I think that every single person who participates in these barbaric activities SHOULD be publicized so that their friends, family, customers, colleagues, clients, fans and the general public knows what sociopaths they really are.....

I do not hunt.... It's not my thing.... but I have a lot of friends who DO hunt and I don't have a problem with that..... every single one of them that I have spoken to about this is APPALLED at how this whole thing went down and abhors the thought of trophy hunting and canned hunting.....

If one report I read is accurate, they tied meat to a car and dragged it though the preserve, luring the animal outside the safe area, and then attempted to kill it. It was an enormous display of hunting skill and daring.

I propose we take Mr. Palmer back to Africa, stuff his pockets with fresh hamburger, and let him make a run for it. Isn't that about the same chance he gave this lion?

Fair, is fair. I have no problem with REAL hunting where people pursue game in their natural habitat and use the resulting kill for food.

(Hard to believe in this day and age will still have a$$holes running around the world pretending to be big game hunters when the animals are literally dropped at their feet and all they have to do is pull the trigger/shoot the arrow-- as in this case).

Old 07-30-2015, 10:46 AM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Don't you mean the powers that be at c-d?
No, I do not.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Fair enough. But then Palmer should have left the killing of the animal up to the local tribe, since they are the ones most affected by the lion, and since the respect granted the hunter is important in their culture. A rich foreigner shouldn't have any say in it.
Hmmm...Ever read Patterson's story of Tsavo? Or seen its ..rather licensed, version, The Ghost and the Darkness? [u] It , has ever been, the tale, that the tribes looked to a "bwana" to end the reign of a man killer. Which , I grant, Cecil was not. Probably a few goats, pigs, what have you. Nevertheless, this translates to big money for a Tribesman, and his family. Perhaps the lion was a bit of a ..celebrity..such as it is, but many may have been sick to death, of paying his ..fees? For performance.

A goat may not be much, in perception, to an average American, but, it translates to a LOT for a bushman. Not, however, as much as a Father, or young, strong man, of the tribe. He, who is faced with taking on this , powerful, male lion, with a spear. Because the tribesman are denied firearms. And, thus, a rich "bwana" may be the answer to their prayers. Look at it from THEIR eyes. TIA. ...This Is Africa. These simple people, living off the land, what their hard, backbreaking, work, provides.

A lion, "celebrity" or no, can be a drain they can Iill afford. This ...traditionalism..you say it should be left to, is another price, a high one, they cannot afford. Would YOU , risk YOUR , strong, sons life? Send him to kill the lion, with a spear and a knife? Your asking people for bravery and sacrifice, you are not required, nor willing, to give , yourself. Think about that.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:57 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmm...Ever read Patterson's story of Tsavo? Or seen its ..rather licensed, version, The Ghost and the Darkness? [u] It , has ever been, the tale, that the tribes looked to a "bwana" to end the reign of a man killer. Which , I grant, Cecil was not. Probably a few goats, pigs, what have you. Nevertheless, this translates to big money for a Tribesman, and his family. Perhaps the lion was a bit of a ..celebrity..such as it is, but many may have been sick to death, of paying his ..fees? For performance.

A goat may not be much, in perception, to an average American, but, it translates to a LOT for a bushman. Not, however, as much as a Father, or young, strong man, of the tribe. He, who is faced with taking on this , powerful, male lion, with a spear. Because the tribesman are denied firearms. And, thus, a rich "bwana" may be the answer to their prayers. Look at it from THEIR eyes. TIA. ...This Is Africa. These simple people, living off the land, what their hard, backbreaking, work, provides.

A lion, "celebrity" or no, can be a drain they can Iill afford. This ...traditionalism..you say it should be left to, is another price, a high one, they cannot afford. Would YOU , risk YOUR , strong, sons life? Send him to kill the lion, with a spear and a knife? Your asking people for bravery and sacrifice, you are not required, nor willing, to give , yourself. Think about that.
I'm sorry, you are sounding quite ignorant here. Africa is a modern country, they understand tourist dollars and their tribes and goats are not in the national park that was Cecil's home. Your post makes them sound like they are still sacrificing virgins to the full moon or something.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:58 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
No, this my direct way of saying that people who lose their s#it over a lion and wish all sorts of sickly imaginative tortures for a fellow human being (but are anti-capital punishment, pro-'choice', no doubt) are low grade people.

I have no problem with lawful, ethical hunting or hunters. If this guy's a poacher, then he is a criminal and should be treated as one, but the perverted fantasies of a bunch of Disney-ized dysfunctional children should not be indulged.
I am actually pro-capital punishment but in this case I would be happy seeing him deported to Zimbabwe to face charges there.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
So Cecil was in the wild living like a wild animal? No, he was living like a zoo animal, captive to the cameras. He was a tourist toy. He was income and that is why you're so upset? He was a symbol like the lion you see at the start of some movie. Do you listen to yourself?

Oh goodie, a picture with Cecil the big lion. Look at the big kittie.
Hwange National Park is over 5,600 square miles in size. That's some zoo...

Yes, I would say Cecil was living like a wild animal.

And why knock income? Everyone who sees nothing wrong with what this guy did constantly brings up the $50k he paid and how the money helps the locals. Wrong for someone else to bring up money??

Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it upsets me, because we have no business to fly over to countries like this and just take whatever we want. It is the epitome of "Ugly American" to me. I think this man should have to compensate the people of this area, at the very least.
Cecil got killed because he was treated like a pet!

Now the ugly about Cecil is coming out, just like I said it would.

How does a tourist get their picture taken with Cecil? I mean, what wild lion would sit for a photo session? How did he get the point he could be in photos with tourists or any other human being for that matter?

He was lured. You bet, it started out with luring him with something, he didn't just decide to become fearless of human beings. Lions aren't friendly to humans are they? No, he was given something and he got used to it.

So Cecil was lured and through habit learned to accept humans as providers of something. Who trained Cecil to accept things from humans? Why the people making money from the pictures of course.

Who really killed Cecil? The people paying for pictures, the people taking the pictures and everyone associated with turning Cecil into little more an a circus animal. Don't start with he was in the wild but came around for pictures. Nonsense, wild animals don't do that, period.

Cecil was like the Elk at Yellowstone who poses for pictures. He isn't wild either, he got trained through some human intervention to stand for pictures. Someone at some time lured him to a spot and that is where he shows up everyday like clockwork.

That is what happen to Cecil. Greedy people trained him to accept being close to humans and then someone else figured it out too.

That is why Cecil is dead. Pay compensation to the people in the area? Who do you think killed him? They pulled the trigger on that crossbow long before the Dentist ever got there. They killed him. Greed killed him the minute someone lured him for a picture.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events