Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
What does his business have to do with the lion and killing of it?

Would that come under due process or just what form of punishment where trials are supposed to determine punishments for crimes?

I'm asking because you said you hope he loses his business. Why would you like that? Do you also hope that the people that work in his office also become unemployed because that would be the result.

Would you want to be fired because your boss did something others disagreed with? Please don't say that you wouldn't work for the guy because people work for all kinds of people who do things they don't agree with, it is called earning a living.

You would hope to take that away from them?

What would you say to them, sorry but we don't like your boss so you lose your job?

Is that the new standard because we don't do that with people who do far worse that this guy has done. Do we now take away the jobs of anyone who works for someone that does something we don't like. Is that how you want to be treated too?

In some places, drug dealers are put to death, are you in favor of that as well?
You are displaying the same lack of caring towards the people of the area who stand to lose their own business due to the loss of their biggest attraction. Why is this guy's business more important than theirs, because he's American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
And another person who cannot read about the money that this lion brought into the economy when alive and well. It was way more than 50k btw.
No come on, let's be honest here. People pay to go through the park with the hopes of seeing wildlife. There is no guarantee of seeing anything, much the less that lion. No more than seeing something at our own wild animal park.

People aren't going to demand a refund if the famous Gorilla is taking a nap on the day they visit the park.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
I think we need to get some perspective here. Animals don't have feelings, they are just there. It was probably going to die soon. This guy paid good money for it so he has every right to take it home and get it stuffed. The money he paid can be put back into the local economy to breed more animals and preserve the habitat. Some people are so ungrateful.
Ungrateful??? What don't you get that the local economy made $10,000 a DAY from tourists wanting to get their picture with Cecil. Again, this IS about this particular lion, not hunting in general. This guy paid money to poachers who lured it out of a protected area illegally, that's why they have now been arrested.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
you're encouraging people to pay a visit to this man's home, vacation home, daughter's place of work,etc. Are you a loony?
The Ryu

Quote: Originally Posted by edubz
During prime hours, all NYSC are packed. I've been to numerous

have you tried the one on Mercer in the SoHo area? It's a low key NYSC. I use to work in that area and would go there in the AM for my workout....(tiddays!)

I now go to Mid City Gym. It's a bare bone gyms. It's doesn't have a lot member classes (maybe 1 or 2) or anything like that. You go there to work-out. It's also very cheap not the greatest gym but it will do.

The best gym in NYC from personal experience:

West Side YMCA - 9 stars - the location, the space, the member classes, basketball court, inside running track, swimming pools, right next to Central Park, boxing and kickboxing rooms. You also can't be the natural light that comes into the weight room and cardio room. Free towels. I quit this gym since the price was always increasing. It went from 63 to 89 when i left. It's now at 97. 3 years.

NYSC Mercer - 8 stars - the location, decent size space, a nice boxing/kickboxing room on the basement level, decent amount of member classes, nice locker rooms (brand new). Nice natural light on the second floor. Depending on membership program, you get 2 towels before you could get as many towels as you wanted. I quit this gym after getting a job on 39th st. I was happy at this location. 69.99 for a single location.

The Bads:

Crunch on 38th st Broadway. It's a great gym but it's considered a corporate gym (not open on Sundays). They have a LOT of fitness trainers that are trying to reel in clients. The gym space is somewhat tight but they do have a lot of machines and weights. The locker room have a nightclub feeling. Little to no lighting, shower area is gross and somewhat voyeuristic. Free towels. (i quit this gym after 3 months and joined Mid City Gym) 89.99 for a single location and no Sunday...no thanks.

Mid City Gym - Yes, the current gym that i go to.... It's on the basement level of a building so no natural light. It also have a nightclub feeling since it has little lighting. Locker rooms are awful. Small lockers, you have to pay for towers. (3 bucks or 17.50 for monthly towel service - you only get 1). But for the price is still decent. $50.00.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

You're encouraging people to pay a visit to these establishments!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
The Ryu

Quote: Originally Posted by edubz
During prime hours, all NYSC are packed. I've been to numerous

have you tried the one on Mercer in the SoHo area? It's a low key NYSC. I use to work in that area and would go there in the AM for my workout....(tiddays!)

I now go to Mid City Gym. It's a bare bone gyms. It's doesn't have a lot member classes (maybe 1 or 2) or anything like that. You go there to work-out. It's also very cheap not the greatest gym but it will do.

The best gym in NYC from personal experience:

West Side YMCA - 9 stars - the location, the space, the member classes, basketball court, inside running track, swimming pools, right next to Central Park, boxing and kickboxing rooms. You also can't be the natural light that comes into the weight room and cardio room. Free towels. I quit this gym since the price was always increasing. It went from 63 to 89 when i left. It's now at 97. 3 years.

NYSC Mercer - 8 stars - the location, decent size space, a nice boxing/kickboxing room on the basement level, decent amount of member classes, nice locker rooms (brand new). Nice natural light on the second floor. Depending on membership program, you get 2 towels before you could get as many towels as you wanted. I quit this gym after getting a job on 39th st. I was happy at this location. 69.99 for a single location.

The Bads:

Crunch on 38th st Broadway. It's a great gym but it's considered a corporate gym (not open on Sundays). They have a LOT of fitness trainers that are trying to reel in clients. The gym space is somewhat tight but they do have a lot of machines and weights. The locker room have a nightclub feeling. Little to no lighting, shower area is gross and somewhat voyeuristic. Free towels. (i quit this gym after 3 months and joined Mid City Gym) 89.99 for a single location and no Sunday...no thanks.

Mid City Gym - Yes, the current gym that i go to.... It's on the basement level of a building so no natural light. It also have a nightclub feeling since it has little lighting. Locker rooms are awful. Small lockers, you have to pay for towers. (3 bucks or 17.50 for monthly towel service - you only get 1). But for the price is still decent. $50.00.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

You're encouraging people to pay a visit to these establishments!
Those establishment are gyms. I am not encouraging people to go to a stranger's home.

You need help. Turn off the PC/Laptop!

Thanks,

Old 07-30-2015, 10:23 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not a fan of this dentist and think he's lying, since he's done that before.

And we have every right to bash him online.

But I think posting personal information about where he lives, where his summer home is, where his daughter works, crosses a line. Not that others couldn't get it, but what are you trying to do here? Get someone hurt?

Not quoting the posts I'm referring to because I don't want to repeat the information.
You'd better take up your concerns with Twitter.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:24 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ungrateful??? What don't you get that the local economy made $10,000 a DAY from tourists wanting to get their picture with Cecil. Again, this IS about this particular lion, not hunting in general. This guy paid money to poachers who lured it out of a protected area illegally, that's why they have now been arrested.
So Cecil was in the wild living like a wild animal? No, he was living like a zoo animal, captive to the cameras. He was a tourist toy. He was income and that is why you're so upset? He was a symbol like the lion you see at the start of some movie. Do you listen to yourself?

Oh goodie, a picture with Cecil the big lion. Look at the big kittie.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
I think we need to get some perspective here. Animals don't have feelings, they are just there. It was probably going to die soon. This guy paid good money for it so he has every right to take it home and get it stuffed. The money he paid can be put back into the local economy to breed more animals and preserve the habitat. Some people are so ungrateful.
Nobody is this stupid, he's just baiting us.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
So Cecil was in the wild living like a wild animal? No, he was living like a zoo animal, captive to the cameras. He was a tourist toy. He was income and that is why you're so upset? He was a symbol like the lion you see at the start of some movie. Do you listen to yourself?

Oh goodie, a picture with Cecil the big lion. Look at the big kittie.
Yes, it upsets me, because we have no business to fly over to countries like this and just take whatever we want. It is the epitome of "Ugly American" to me. I think this man should have to compensate the people of this area, at the very least.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
I'm just surprised that people didn't know that this stuff goes on - - pay enough money and we'll bring the animal to you to shoot. I have no problem with people hunting animals that aren't endangered, but this isn't hunting at all. I guess if people didn't know that this happens, it should be broadcast, but I'd hope more people would have been aware prior to this . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events