Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhB3...eview-instream

Quote:
Have you ever been told because you are a girl you can't do something?
Quote:
People think girls are supposed to be all happy and la-di-da, you know?
Quote:
Be kind of traditional, like don't do something too challenging.
Quote:
I can't really like...rescue anybody. Like its always the boys who rescue the girls in the story.
Quote:
72% of girls feel like society limits them.
Quote:
Girls should be perfect.
Quote:
Weak.
Quote:
Girls aren't strong.
Quote:
Can't be brave.
Quote:
During puberty a girl's confidence plummets, making her more likely to accept limitations.

I could make a very similar list for boys. I'm all for women's empowerment but propaganda like this marginalizes boys who aren't what society expects them to be.

#girlpower is a bit stale IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:49 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
I think society is more rigid on guys nowadays. A girl can do whatever she wants now, but imagine a guy wearing a skirt and using makeup. I mean, it does happen, but it's not mainstream yet.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
If you are told over and over and over that you are a "victim" you take on the mindset of being a victim.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:38 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,564,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are told over and over and over that you are a "victim" you take on the mindset of being a victim.
and if the Leftists cannot find a victim, they will create one.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I can think of more easy way of life as a girl than as a guy. Many girls aren't pushed to get married or have children, what else is there to worry about?

Girls can go out dressed like a guy or a girl and society is perfectly fine with that.

Even a gay guy is not entirely socially accepted dressed as a girl to go out.

Feminist movement has removed a lot of barriers and requirements in society and the only barrier left is that many females don't push themselves hard enough to get respected.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:48 PM

914 posts, read 973,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can think of more easy way of life as a girl than as a guy. Many girls aren't pushed to get married or have children, what else is there to worry about?

Really? You obviously have never been to Utah then or many other countries., There are many countries and places/cultures that oppress women or make society look down on them if they are strong and independent and don't just want to stay home and have endless babies. I love my kids and waited to have them but then I didn't grow up in a place where if you are over 21 and not married and had at least one kid you are strange. I know because I work with women like that who constantly feel the pressure not only from society but even their own families. They want to go see the world but feel that is "not the done thing"

Girls can go out dressed like a guy or a girl and society is perfectly fine with that.

It is in the UK,especially in London and other major cities

Even a gay guy is not entirely socially accepted dressed as a girl to go out.

Feminist movement has removed a lot of barriers and requirements in society and the only barrier left is that many females don't push themselves hard enough to get respected.
Or maybe they are not allowed to? and also maybe barriers have been broken down because there are barriers for women like career progression , wages being so much less, amongst other things.

I'm not saying men do not have any barriers but I think society (even in the US in some states) has a long way to go before it accepts that a woman's place is not just in the home and that they are capable of so much more if they wish and should be paid equally for it. Trouble is also for some that they are excluded or made to feel wrong if they want anything outside of just getting married and those aspirations are not put into them as it is not the norm.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Or maybe they are not allowed to? and also maybe barriers have been broken down because there are barriers for women like career progression , wages being so much less, amongst other things.

I'm not saying men do not have any barriers but I think society (even in the US in some states) has a long way to go before it accepts that a woman's place is not just in the home and that they are capable of so much more if they wish and should be paid equally for it. Trouble is also for some that they are excluded or made to feel wrong if they want anything outside of just getting married and those aspirations are not put into them as it is not the norm.
The wage gap is a myth. Far more woman are derided for leaving the workplace than for entering it.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...83752909957472

We need equality in workplace accidents tho. Workplace death rate differential sure is no myth.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:53 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
While ladies earn less on average, they outspend men. So, we (guys) know where our money end their travel.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The wage gap is a myth. Far more woman are derided for leaving the workplace than for entering it.
Mark J. Perry and Andrew G. Biggs: The '77 Cents on the Dollar' Myth About Women's Pay - WSJ

We need equality in workplace accidents tho. Workplace death rate differential sure is no myth.

The wage gap isn't a myth at all, but I agree deaths in the workplace probably vary. But doing the same job, for same amount of time with the same quality/effort (or even more in some cases) should mean equality of pay. It doesn't happen.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
While ladies earn less on average, they outspend men. So, we (guys) know where our money end their travel.
I don't understand what you are saying, the last bit makes no sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events