Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Wear anything they choose (within reason) and still claim religious affiliation to most creeds, while women have to wear scarves, not fix their hair a certain way, not wear trousers or jeans (according to certain beliefs), not cut their hair short (certain beliefs), not wear makeup (certain beliefs), not speak in church or hold the office of a minister (certain beliefs), not show their skin, etc. And women are free not to be members of those religions. Maybe, but it's not so easy to leave when you are raised in it and your community prescribes these beliefs. Just think about all of the women around the world who have to wear burkas and not go outside without having a man present. Also think of all of the women who are required to wear scarves / not cut their hair to participate in church activities and sacraments.

Easily find shops that will help them pick out clothing and tailor it for them; women have to wade through rack after rack of items, try them on, and then get them tailored separately, or hire a personal shopper. We also have to worry about fitting a variety of different shapes. Sorry, the vast majority of shops target women not men. Well, be that as it may, walk into any men's suit shop, and you will find all of the amenities you need at a fair price. Women either have to pay an arm and a leg for the same service or do most of the footwork themselves.

Travel to nearly any country and enjoy the same freedoms they do here. No, not at all. Maybe middle eastern countries but wtf are you doing there? You can travel almost anywhere in the world, north, south, east, and west and not have to worry about any of your rights being taken away. If you are a woman, you run the risk of meeting new restrictive rules everywhere you go, especially parts of Africa and the Middle East, but not only there.

Get a decent five-figure job out of high school...and sometimes before. My sister and I both had 5 figure jobs in HS I am talking Freshman year. Just takes working alot of hours. My being a man gave me no help beyond my willingness to work in manual labor. Those jobs are not widely available to women. You can work in ship building and make $20 an hour! That is more than I make as a degreed professional now!

Enjoy a man's company without worrying about him wanting sexual favors, usually. Evolutionary reality

Negotiate salary without the boss getting an attitude. Maybe

Be sexually promiscuous without societal stigma. Lol. How old are you? No. Men brag about how they can seduce women all of the time. If a woman does that, though, she is termed as "loose" "unfit" "whorish," etc.

Raise children without raising eyebrows... Stay at home dads dont raise eyebrows? You can hire a nanny and go to work, but really the likelihood is the woman will be the one taking care of the kid. The dad will be the one paying child support. He didn't have to ask for maternity leave; he didn't have to explain a pregnancy to his family...

Need I go on? Please do.
Please read the purple comments.

Last edited by krmb; 07-29-2015 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You honestly expect me to not disregard or mock these comments???
If you proclaim to be a mature adult who is concerned with gender equality, yes I absolutely do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
A woman with her nickers all in a twist......
Stopped reading here. I am not going to entertain your posts if you are going to continue to be rude and dismissive.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:26 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Ok, and what did you do to correct them? What did you say to your kid?

If your kid (any gender) says they want to be an astronaut, and grandma says "You're too stupid to be an astronaut" would you just sit there, or would you correct her and tell her never to speak that way to your child again?

It's your job to be a guide, yes, but it's also your job to be a protector, especially when they are young and vulnerable. I wouldn't stand for anyone, even family, telling my kids what they can't do because of their sex. You shouldn't either.
Then the same applies to girls and we, as a society, needn't marginalize either sex with campaigns to make them understand they can do anything. Right?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Men can:

Wear anything they choose (within reason) and still claim religious affiliation to most creeds, while women have to wear scarves, not fix their hair a certain way, not wear trousers or jeans (according to certain beliefs), not cut their hair short (certain beliefs), not wear makeup (certain beliefs), not speak in church or hold the office of a minister (certain beliefs), not show their skin, etc.

Easily find shops that will help them pick out clothing and tailor it for them; women have to wade through rack after rack of items, try them on, and then get them tailored separately, or hire a personal shopper. We also have to worry about fitting a variety of different shapes.

Travel to nearly any country and enjoy the same freedoms they do here.

Get a decent five-figure job out of high school...and sometimes before.

Enjoy a man's company without worrying about him wanting sexual favors, usually.

Negotiate salary without the boss getting an attitude.

Be sexually promiscuous without societal stigma.

Raise children without raising eyebrows...

Need I go on?
Women are free to choose or avoid any superstition they wish. It has always been a marvel to me that women seem so easily hornswoggled by religious propaganda.

The only men's wear I know of that is tailored is formal wear, which only lawyers wear any more. Men buy their clothing the same way women do: off the rack and hoping that it will fit. Men also have a variety of shapes.

There are very few countries in the world where anyone enjoys the same freedoms they do here. Would you prefer the freedom to be killed?

A man's 5-figure job out of high school will be around 10k if he is lucky. Women are more likely to find a job.

Have you ever dated a woman and not offered sexual favors? They don't take rejection well.

Where do you find a boss without an attitude when you ask for more money? If you threaten to walk, you better be ready. I will say that men are less likely to be living paycheck to paycheck. I have seen women take anything they were handed because they were terrified of being unemployed. The way to move up is to get a better job, and that works for both men and women.

The reason women have more societal stigma about their sex lives is that they won't shut up about it. It always irritated me that by noon on Monday, all of her girlfriends knew, in detail, what we did in bed on Saturday night. I swear, women would rather talk about sex than do it. Quit bragging and you won't have a problem. The definition of promiscuous is someone who has more sex than you do.

I have no idea what your raising children comment means. Are women not supposed to raise children?

Women have these weird fantasies about what it is like to be a man. Women enjoy a lot of privileges not available to men. If they actually had to interact with the world like men do, most of them would fold like a house of cards. It's a tough world for men.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post

We need equality of work place accidents.
Huh? Wouldn't it be better to prevent work place accidents?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:50 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If you proclaim to be a mature adult who is concerned with gender equality, yes I absolutely do.
I'm a sixty plus year old father and uncle who doesn't have a hint of metrosexuality and whose approach to parenting is decidedly old school. As for proclamations, I've made none other that to read the comments that I posted which are trivial, opaquely misogynistic, and sophistic.

I don't know of any societal prohibitions regarding boys playing with dolls, I played with them with them when I was a young child and no one ever prohibited me from doing so (and that was the 1950's), yes boys are not encourage to dress in girls clothing's, but is that really a bit deal I think not considering that boys are never given the impression that there are any professions to which they can aspire to pursue, while the opposite is a fact of life for girls. Which is why so few girls aspire to careers in technology, and the STEM sciences. Those are real and important issues.

If I were to make professions regarding gender equality such professions would be heavily weighted in removing social stigmas in favor of girls and young women because that is where gender equality doesn't not exist in either quality or quantity. That is a societal problem not whether boys play with dolls or can dress up as girls.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I work in corporate accounting for a Fortune 500. We have a lesbian on staff that dresses like a man and has a butchy haircut thats shaved in a non conventional fashion. Do you seriously think if I dressed like a woman my male dominated management would let me keep my job?

You will never see a man who is allowed to crossdress in the workplace...and even women who wear traditional women's clothes are allowed far more leeway for workplace attire than men are..even when they are dressed to code, I noticed they are allowed to take off their shoes at work and walk around the office barefoot, or walk around the office with rainbow colored hair and no one says a word...but oh, let your beard be a millimeter too long and see if you dont get approached about it...the women Im speaking of are usually wearing dresses, which is basically just a slightly longer t-shirt...so effectively, they are walking around the office in loungewear/gowns with no shoes on...thats a level of comfort that no man Ive ever worked with has been allowed to have in the office...I honestly cant recall a time where Ive seen a male colleague be allowed to walk around in his business attire barefoot in any office ive worked in...I suspect youll never see it either...but its a common practice for women..

I remember one day I rolled my pant cuffs up because it was hot in the office and my feet were under my desk, and two different chicks came at me telling me to fix my pants because no one wanted to see my legs..lol...nevermind that they literally walk all the way up and down the hallways totally BAREFOOT all the time..

now most women will make excuses for this behavior and scapegoat men by saying "well women only wear revealing outfits around the office because the men who hired them wanted them to wear it"...but notice, any other time, that same woman who is scapegoating men in the workplace will immediately tell you that women dress for themselves and to make themselves feel beautiful, but not for men, in any other setting outside of work...but suddenly once they get to work, they decide to wear revealing clothes because men want them to?...well what happened

Women never truly had it hard in American society..they were simply master marketers of their own victimhood status & sob stories and men in powerful positions fell for it..end of story. Men have been suckered into believing this rubbish about gender inequality and wage faps and all this other bologna, and have cooperated to their own detriment to elevate women beyond merely living in comfort as they have historically in the U.S., to now being a downright privileged class in most instances..

Old 07-29-2015, 07:11 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
You will never see a man who is allowed to crossdress in the workplace...and even women who wear traditional women's clothes are allowed far more leeway for workplace attire than men are..even when they are dressed to code...
Oh the things that men must suffer!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
1) They can choose the religion they want. Difficulty is just an obstacle. Men face those same obstacles.

2)Im sorry the womens clothes argument is preposterous. Women are getting what they are demanding of the market. Women have the power to control these things via market action.

3) Sorry, what does the middle east have to do with the US? Men enjoy the same rights in the M/E as they do in the US? LOL

4) The jobs are widely available to women they simply choose not to fill and pursue them. I was digging ditches, working manual labor in a food processing facility, and a lumper/lift driver not many women pursuing that.

5) You have not been on a college campus in the past 2 decades if you think women are **** shamed.

6) Men dont tell their family when they are having a kid?

Last edited by dpm1; 07-29-2015 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 08:39 PM

914 posts, read 973,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Women are free to choose or avoid any superstition they wish. It has always been a marvel to me that women seem so easily hornswoggled by religious propaganda.

The only men's wear I know of that is tailored is formal wear, which only lawyers wear any more. Men buy their clothing the same way women do: off the rack and hoping that it will fit. Men also have a variety of shapes.

There are very few countries in the world where anyone enjoys the same freedoms they do here. Would you prefer the freedom to be killed?

A man's 5-figure job out of high school will be around 10k if he is lucky. Women are more likely to find a job.

Have you ever dated a woman and not offered sexual favors? They don't take rejection well.

Where do you find a boss without an attitude when you ask for more money? If you threaten to walk, you better be ready. I will say that men are less likely to be living paycheck to paycheck. I have seen women take anything they were handed because they were terrified of being unemployed. The way to move up is to get a better job, and that works for both men and women.

The reason women have more societal stigma about their sex lives is that they won't shut up about it. It always irritated me that by noon on Monday, all of her girlfriends knew, in detail, what we did in bed on Saturday night. I swear, women would rather talk about sex than do it. Quit bragging and you won't have a problem. The definition of promiscuous is someone who has more sex than you do.

I have no idea what your raising children comment means. Are women not supposed to raise children?

Women have these weird fantasies about what it is like to be a man. Women enjoy a lot of privileges not available to men. If they actually had to interact with the world like men do, most of them would fold like a house of cards. It's a tough world for men.

How many men have been killed in honor killings in relation to deciding they will not follow their religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events