Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This reminds me all too much about how we have discredited the insane police chases throughout cities and towns, except in the most critical instances. There was nothing so desperate here that deserved a death squad. The man, who may very well be a low life, broke no law for which there is capital punishment.
Bingo.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Why do police departments across the country hire these morons (ex-military)? How about increasing the salaries and hiring people with college degrees? The cops we have right now are pretty much bottom of the barrel losers without any tact or problem-solving skills.
Just a second, are you saying ex-military people are morons? Next you say the cops we have are the bottom of the barrel. Since you didn't qualify the statement, obviously you are say that they are all morons if they are ex-military and all cops are bottom of the barrel.

That wouldn't even be close to the truth.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry - I generally support law enforcement but I have watched this video over and over again and I don't see the cop being dragged. I don't see him falling till after he fires the shot either. I don't see a reason for him to shoot and kill this guy - regardless of whether or not his license was suspended, or whether or not he was even trying to drive off (which it seems he was). The officer's life was not in danger from what I can tell. That's the only scenario in which the officer could shoot to kill and I don't think his life was in danger.
I agree

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-29-2015 at 10:44 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Just a second, are you saying ex-military people are morons? Next you say the cops we have are the bottom of the barrel. Since you didn't qualify the statement, obviously you are say that they are all morons if they are ex-military and all cops are bottom of the barrel.

That wouldn't even be close to the truth.
No, James did not generalize that all ex-military people are morons. He said "these morons" -- the ones we are discussing. He also did not say that all cops are bottom of the barrel. Stop putting words in other people's mouths.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
What are you, his mother?
More like Cliff Claven - or the female version of.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Their time in prison probably is much worse than another criminal.
We can only hope.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
No, James did not generalize that all ex-military people are morons. He said "these morons" -- the ones we are discussing. He also did not say that all cops are bottom of the barrel. Stop putting words in other people's mouths.
Well, that's not exactly what he said, either. What he said was this (exactly):

Quote:
Why do police departments across the country hire these morons (ex-military)? How about increasing the salaries and hiring people with college degrees?
So what he's saying is why do police departments across the country hire ex military, ie morons? He goes on to imply that they should hire people with college degrees - which also implies that ex military personnel don't generally have a college degree.

Actually, as I pointed out, 70 percent of enlisted personnel have at least some college or a college degree. 95 percent of military officers have college degrees. So...it's entirely possible - in fact, probable - that if a company or police department hires ex military, they are hiring someone who has at the very least, some college under their belt, and very likely at least one college degree.

Just to clarify.

But wait - there's more!

He then went on to say:

Quote:
The cops we have right now are pretty much bottom of the barrel losers without any tact or problem-solving skills.
So yeah - he pretty much threw all cops currently serving straight to the bottom of the barrel.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
There is only one cop, which are the "these"? He used the plural, quite clearly.

He also said cops when referring to the bottom of the barrel and he was speaking in the general. He said all across the country. That is about as general as you can get.

Why don't you stop defending what you know nothing about? Let James speak for himself.

How about you stop speaking for others? Putting words in James' mouth is exactly what you did.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Why do police departments across the country hire these morons (ex-military)? How about increasing the salaries and hiring people with college degrees? The cops we have right now are pretty much bottom of the barrel losers without any tact or problem-solving skills.
That's pretty harsh. A lot of the morons they hire got degrees in criminal justice. Also, in know that in the SF bay area, PD salaries start around 80k/yr.

The bigger issue is the culture within PD's that allows cops to get away with, and even rewards, antisocial and unconstitutional behavior.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
[i]Officer Tensing fatally shot DuBose, 43, during a July 19 traffic stop over an alleged missing license tag. The officer has said he was forced to fire his weapon after almost being run over. Tensing, 25, surrendered to authorities shortly after news of the indictment broke, and he is expected to be arraigned on Thursday. He has been fired from his job.

Tensing's attorney told reporters that he believes the officer feared for his life and was dragged by DuBose's car. "The guy jams the keys in the ignition," Stew Mathews told CNN. "Turns the car on, jams it in the drive and mashes the accelerator. He wasn't slowly pulling away. (Tensing) feared for his life. He thought he was going to be sucked under the car that was pulling away from him. He thought he was going to get sucked under and killed."
I have no doubt the cop is lying. They all do. But assuming that he is telling the truth, the solution would be very simple. Guy starts up the car, just stand clear and let him go. Instant safety.

I'm sure the police fans are very happy that this brave police man was protecting us from thugs with missing license plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events