Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,587,902 times

Advertisements

I do not agree with this decision AT ALL! How do the rest of you feel about this?

Allen West: Navy to prosecute Chattanooga hero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,101,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I do not agree with this decision AT ALL! How do the rest of you feel about this?

Allen West: Navy to prosecute Chattanooga hero
This cannot stand... sign the petition.. email hannity and van susteren... they will shine the light on this crap
Obama could stop it right now...but he won't

Disgusting

Old 08-02-2015, 02:39 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,317,457 times
He was in violation, being an officer he shouldn't have.

He also may have saved someone's life.

So, I'd expect a slap on the wrist.

In defense of the Navy, what are they supposed to do ? Tell everyone "hey, it's ok to defy regulations as long as this looks good on the news ?"

Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,101,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post

In defense of the Navy, what are they supposed to do ? Tell everyone "hey, it's ok to defy regulations as long as this looks good on the news ?"
Get a 4star with a couple and arm any soldier on duty and in good standing .... and back them up when they need to use force.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:16 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,695,306 times
Quote:

I agree. They can't ignore the violation, but should back off since the result was that fewer people died.
It's just a shame that they're not backing off.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 PM

30,750 posts, read 18,432,838 times
Disagree with the decision to charge, but I definitely would not ignore the officer's actions. Despite the officer's heroics that possibly saved multiple lives, the officer did violate DoD policy/law. Following the law and the orders of those in command above you is paramount to maintaining military discipline and order. This officer showed complete disregard for those rules/command by having a firearm on Federal property to begin with, despite not being a law enforcement officer. While I think the regulation/law is stupid, it is, nonetheless, the law.

Haven written that, I would not have charged the officer. Rather, I would have forced him to "retire," but with an honorary discharge. Such a decision would take into account the officer's ultimate heroics, while also sending a signal to others that the rules must be obeyed. Note, I'm all for advocacy efforts to have these rules/laws overturned, but you don't go about doing that by disobeying them. Not in the military you don't; that's actually very dangerous.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Agreed. But the slap on the wrist I'd advocate for is a forced honorary discharge "retirement" or a demotion if the officer really wanted to stay in.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:53 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,201,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
This cannot stand... sign the petition.. email hannity and van susteren... they will shine the light on this crap
Obama could stop it right now...but he won't

Disgusting
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Get a 4star with a couple and arm any soldier on duty and in good standing .... and back them up when they need to use force.
Aren't there regulations in place to prevent that? Aren't there procedures in place to cover this without higher command being brought in?

It seems, when citizens are killed or abused by bad cops who step out of line you want to quote rules and regulations and do all you can to defend the cops actions and then explain to us to why it was the citizens fault. For some reason you can't support fixing the regulations in order to protect those citizens in any of those cases.

But in this case, it seems you are hot to have the rules ignored or dismissed, in-place processes circumvented, and a "4star" to come in and order that these rules be wiped.

Interesting... Hypocrite often?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,996,355 times
The attitude of "well rules are rules" is just sickening and indicative of the cancer spreading throughout Western Civilization. The gleeful rule following by some in this country is why we're going to end up enslaved or collecting dust on the ash heap of history. "What we're they suppose to do, ignore the rule?" You're god**** right they are, that is exactly what they should do.

To some of you I challenge, is there EVER a time to EVER break a law or disregard a rule? If your child was drowning a pool you were forbidden to swim in, would you just say "oh well rules are rules after all?" What the hell is wrong with this country? Jim Crow was once the law too, do you think it was just to jail lawbreakers then? Should Rosa Parks rightfully have been jailed for breaking the precious rules!? I swear to all that is holy that we have become a nation of sheep...blind sheep. Perhaps the slaughterhouse will be too merciful for us.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
The attitude of "well rules are rules" is just sickening and indicative of the cancer spreading throughout Western Civilization. The gleeful rule following by some in this country is why we're going to end up enslaved or collecting dust on the ash heap of history. "What we're they suppose to do, ignore the rule?" You're god**** right they are, that is exactly what they should do.

To some of you I challenge, is there EVER a time to EVER break a law or disregard a rule? If your child was drowning a pool you were forbidden to swim in, would you just say "oh well rules are rules after all?" What the hell is wrong with this country? Jim Crow was once the law too, do you think it was just to jail lawbreakers then? Should Rosa Parks rightfully have been jailed for breaking the precious rules!? I swear to all that is holy that we have become a nation of sheep...blind sheep. Perhaps the slaughterhouse will be too merciful for us.
Sure, there are times to break the rules. But, even then, there are often consequences for breaking the rules. This is ever more important with the military, which is subordinate to civilian authority and the rule of law. Having members of the military think that its OK to disregard the rules/law is a recipe for disaster. Still, I don't think anyone in this thread suggested throwing the book at the officer. No, those of us with who have a problem with the fact that the officer broke the rule/law to begin with (and, note, the most serious part of this rule/lawbreaking was the fact that the officer felt that he could disregard regs and carry a weapon to begin with) simply have a problem with the line of thought that the officer should get off free as a bee.

Jim Crow was once the law, and many people disregarded (thankfully, just as I am thankful that the officer disregarded the rules/law in this instance as it likely saved lives). Still, again, I note the difference of military and law enforcement breaking the rules. Civilians take no oath to uphold the law/obey the orders of those in command over there (this oath is there for a reason). And its different when civilians engage in acts of civil disobedience vs. members of the military. Note, there is a point where even the military should disobey the rules (and, thankfully, our laws take this into account), such as "rules" (regardless of whether they are lawfully issued) to slaughter civilians or kill innocent persons. But that's not what we are talking about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events