Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Aren't there regulations in place to prevent that? Aren't there procedures in place to cover this without higher command being brought in?

It seems, when citizens are killed or abused by bad cops who step out of line you want to quote rules and regulations and do all you can to defend the cops actions and then explain to us to why it was the citizens fault. For some reason you can't support fixing the regulations in order to protect those citizens in any of those cases.

But in this case, it seems you are hot to have the rules ignored or dismissed, in-place processes circumvented, and a "4star" to come in and order that these rules be wiped.

Interesting... Hypocrite often?
Its called critical thinking ...and spirit of the law vs letter of the law.. in this case military code of regulations

Ignorant often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Is he a hero? Probably.

Did he break a law or disregard orders? Probably.

Does he really want Allen West speaking for him? I think not.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
I would bet anything that this is coming way above his coc, up at the DC level that put pressure to charge.

The military often decides to charge people or not, merely breaking a rule does not automatically invite a judicial or nonjudicial punishment.

Some flag rank and/or political appointee got it in their head that they better make this guy an example, so no one will think of bringing their personal weapons with them. There are also plenty of political appointees who are very anti-2nd Amendment, so they obviously pounced all over this one, flag ranks carrying out the duty as the appointees can basically end the career progression of a flag officer.

Last edited by k350; 08-02-2015 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 09:27 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I do not agree with this decision AT ALL! How do the rest of you feel about this?

Allen West: Navy to prosecute Chattanooga hero
Unbelievable bulls**t by some political/military hack. All in the interest in being PC whatever the Hell PC is

Total BS Top Army General: 'Have to Be Careful About Over-Arming' at Military Bases | Fox News Insider

Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Its called critical thinking ...and spirit of the law vs letter of the law.. in this case military code of regulations

Ignorant often?
"The spirit of the law???" Now I see, you think you are a comedian now. Tell me, how is it carrying a gun into a place where the law says no guns allowed - can be thought of as following the spirit of the law, verses totally ignoring it? A good outcome now justifies totally breaking the law?

No, it is called "one set of rules for you and a different for me because... well because... I say so." If you are going to be a hypocrite, then do it proudly.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-02-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Sure, there are times to break the rules. But, even then, there are often consequences for breaking the rules. This is ever more important with the military, which is subordinate to civilian authority and the rule of law. Having members of the military think that its OK to disregard the rules/law is a recipe for disaster. Still, I don't think anyone in this thread suggested throwing the book at the officer. No, those of us with who have a problem with the fact that the officer broke the rule/law to begin with (and, note, the most serious part of this rule/lawbreaking was the fact that the officer felt that he could disregard regs and carry a weapon to begin with) simply have a problem with the line of thought that the officer should get off free as a bee.

Jim Crow was once the law, and many people disregarded (thankfully, just as I am thankful that the officer disregarded the rules/law in this instance as it likely saved lives). Still, again, I note the difference of military and law enforcement breaking the rules. Civilians take no oath to uphold the law/obey the orders of those in command over there (this oath is there for a reason). And its different when civilians engage in acts of civil disobedience vs. members of the military. Note, there is a point where even the military should disobey the rules (and, thankfully, our laws take this into account), such as "rules" (regardless of whether they are lawfully issued) to slaughter civilians or kill innocent persons. But that's not what we are talking about here.
No, we're talking about a man who take actions that saved lives. He fired back at a terrorist on American soil, he should be given a medal not be charged. I was in the military, and s**t like this makes me thank the gods that I got out. No one up the CoC has any balls or any spine. Generals are political animals and they see a way to score points with an anti-gun President. Meanwhile plenty of Americans just sit back and say "well rules are rules after all." We're so conditioned to just un-critically accept that every rule should be followed it is amazing. If we lived in Revolutionary times it would never happen these days, too many citizens would be fretting over the fact that Washington, Franklin, etc. were breaking the rules they would **** themselves.

Also the Oath of Office for Commissioned Officers is this:
"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Navy of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)
It says NOTHING about following petty DoD rules during an active terrorist attack. In fact had he NOT fired upon the terrorist I would charge him with not "supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic."

Old 08-02-2015, 09:48 PM

431 posts, read 449,504 times
It's a relief to see the military is thoughtful and careful about the issue and serious about their own laws and protocols. A welcome contrast to our cops who trend towards Judge Dredd whilst hiding behind the thin blue line and redneck public opinion.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
It's a relief to see the military is thoughtful and careful about the issue and serious about their own laws and protocols. A welcome contrast to our cops who trend towards Judge Dredd whilst hiding behind the thin blue line and redneck public opinion.
Like a sheep to the slaughter...

Old 08-02-2015, 09:55 PM

431 posts, read 449,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Like a sheep to the slaughter...
Yes. I'm a sheeple because I think it's good the military doesn't just go rogue. That makes sense.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
Yes. I'm a sheeple because I think it's good the military doesn't just go rogue. That makes sense.
Yes your gleeful rule following is indicative of someone who has been conditioned for slavery. It is a very passive and a very un-American state of mind and borderline soulless. After America falls people will look around and wonder "what happened?" Our weak mindset and soullessness will be the answer. America has become spiritually weak and dead on the inside. I'm sure you'll be there cheering on the Feds as they raid houses of "political agitators" and "enemies of the state." Hey, rules are rules after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events