Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:35 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
But in all seriousness, NJ has some of the best public schools in the nation. We frequently rank top 3-5, sometimes even number 1 statewide. NJ is a great place to raise a family. I'm sure the same goes for some other high-taxed states. Whatever town you live in, if it's a middle class or above town, I'm willing to bet it has excellent public schools.

You do get what you pay for...
Allow me to bring another angle to this story. The schools rank high not being of high property taxes, but because of NJ's demographics- the high percentage of Indians of living in NJ who push their children to excel in studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
There is nothing wrong with someone posting a story regarding taxes, cost of living, demographics etc. of any kind. I appreciate all of them and do further research.

Property taxes will impact us because wherever we might move in the future, we want to buy a high-end, large estate home.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
There is nothing wrong with someone posting a story regarding taxes, cost of living, demographics etc. of any kind. I appreciate all of them and do further research.

Property taxes will impact us because wherever we might move in the future, we want to buy a high-end, large estate home.

You're right - everyone has different goals.

We have a high income but prefer a nice, but not palatial, home. That's why Texas works for us - we don't pay income tax and since we choose not to live in an estate type of home, the property taxes are not a significant concern to us, because we're coming out so far ahead by not paying income taxes.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Allow me to bring another angle to this story. The schools rank high not being of high property taxes, but because of NJ's demographics- the high percentage of Indians of living in NJ who push their children to excel in studies.
That's so false that's laughable. The high school in my town was 13th in the state a few years ago and my town is 95% white.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're right - everyone has different goals.

We have a high income but prefer a nice, but not palatial, home. That's why Texas works for us - we don't pay income tax and since we choose not to live in an estate type of home, the property taxes are not a significant concern to us, because we're coming out so far ahead by not paying income taxes.
I wouldn't want a palace myself, but I'd sure love a home that is around 3,000+ square feet in a beautiful and safe neighborhood with lots of amenities and great weather like we have now, no "special taxes" or what is referred to here often as Mello-Roos taxes.

I'd love for our forever home to be right here in the San Francisco Bay Area; however, we have so many "newly wealthy immigrants" buying our properties for cash around here that we can't compete for the nicest homes in the best neighborhoods unless we pay in cash, and I don't want to do that.

States that don't tax out-of-state government pensions are good for us, in addition to those that don't tax income at all, but property tax in those states is often very high and with no limit on their rise.

Unless I'm mistaken, Texas property taxes can go up more than our fixed amount here of a maximum 2% (ever since Prop. 13 was passed in 1978.)

Old 08-18-2015, 11:15 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,544 times
I switch back and forth from Texas and New Mexico - 95 miles apart. My wife works in Ruidoso but the income tax is low for her- the real estate taxes are especially low $1079 a year for a 2500 sq ft house with two ponds and 17 acres.

My income is generated from Texas and I am licensed there. It works especially well.

As for good schools and education - at the higher level no one can touch California and its 2 and 4 year college system. The University of California ( especially Berkeley ) puts any public school in NJ to shame and their property taxes are lower. The k-12 might be better too except for the large and notoriously poor districts in LA.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
States that don't tax out-of-state government pensions are good for us, in addition to those that don't tax income at all, but property tax in those states is often very high and with no limit on their rise.
Unless I'm mistaken, Texas property taxes can go up more than our fixed amount here of a maximum 2% (ever since Prop. 13 was passed in 1978.)
Staying in California may still be a good option. Don't forget, 13 states (not CA) even tax Social Security payments:
13 States That Tax Social Security Income

I don't think any other state has the mandated property tax limits that Prop 13 provides. When it passed the other states panicked and quickly passed legislation essentially preventing their states passing a similar law.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
The important thing is, how much actual property tax you pay. In some states with a high tax rate, you will be paying a lot less money out for taxes due to the lower property value in the state with the high tax rate.

Then the next factor is, other taxes, including things like state income taxes, sales taxes, etc.

One state may have high tax rates like Texas, but prices are much lower resulting in lower property tax payments. And Texas does not have as many taxes to pay as a lot of states do. Total taxes paid for the year will much less than some other states.

As a native Californian we raised our family in the high priced section of Silicon Valley. We live in a home that is 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level home that is large, unique and first class on a 5 acre estate property in the county across the street from the upscale area of town. In our old area, we are talking a few million for such a place if you could find it, and here it is a few hundred thousand. Taxes are just a pittance of what they would cost in the Silicon Valley. Overall far lower taxes than we would owe in the Silicon Valley.

Overall real estate tax rates really only tell a small portion of the story.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:04 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times
Middle income/no deduction Americans pay European tax rates while receiving nothing that high European taxes buy. Ohio, on top of the high property taxes, + state, + local, +school tax allows legal theft of your property if property taxes are not paid. One could lose $150,000 house for let's say $300 property taxes he owes. Ohio is not alone in allowing this sort of "public private" predatory partnerships that may rob you blind. For the people indeed.

Last edited by RememberMee; 08-19-2015 at 12:19 AM..

Old 08-19-2015, 06:35 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Oh, so I guess you got 'guidos' from the movies then.

Yeah, too many movies.
Or I lived one state over in NY and I already stated I worked in NJ periodically.

This blaming tv or movies is as weak as your states reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events