Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 01:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
What's the point of posting this stuff without any commentary?

As an aside and for my commentary, this list means absolutely nothing. Take Texas for example. They made the list but have no state or local income tax. That'll make up a lot of difference in a slightly higher property tax if you have a decent income and aren't a welfare bum.

Property taxes are only part of the story as any well informed individual knows, but hack click bait stories such as this are consumed daily by ignorant readers.
I am a native Texan and have wanted to move back for some years now.... When I started thinking about making the move, I did some basic math caculations and though we have an approximately 6% state income tax here, the additional I would pay in property taxes would MORE than make up for that.... Unless I moved somewhere away from town.... I am still thinking Victoria if I can ever make it happen....

I have a friend in a 'burb of San Antonio.... our houses are about the same S.F. and about the same valuation and her property taxes are over THREE TIMES what mine are.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Those states also boast the best education programs in the nation and receive the least support from the federal government.
ummmm ... Texas most certainly does not boast anything of the sort.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"More reason for New Jersey residents to grumble."

Yes, because it just sucks so much here, I know.

Really sick of the national mentality that NJ is a terrible place to be/live in. Really sick of it.

Recently read an article on the Daily Mail about a woman in an upper class NJ town who is selling her mansion. Big luxurious home with a tennis court, movie theater, that kind of stuff, also complete with a whole area built for her dogs. It's like a mansion for dogs, in a sense - which is why it was in the news. What did the comments say? "My dog says no thanks... because it's in New Jersey." "Tacky house" - the response - "not for New Jersey." "Too bad this house is in New Jersey." etc. Lovely, my fellow Americans.
Now you know how those of us in "flyover" country feel over the constant ignorance displayed towards our states.

Especially states that are attacked because of politics like Illinois and Kansas....and of course Wisconsin in recent years.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:36 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"More reason for New Jersey residents to grumble."

Yes, because it just sucks so much here, I know.

Really sick of the national mentality that NJ is a terrible place to be/live in. Really sick of it.

Recently read an article on the Daily Mail about a woman in an upper class NJ town who is selling her mansion. Big luxurious home with a tennis court, movie theater, that kind of stuff, also complete with a whole area built for her dogs. It's like a mansion for dogs, in a sense - which is why it was in the news. What did the comments say? "My dog says no thanks... because it's in New Jersey." "Tacky house" - the response - "not for New Jersey." "Too bad this house is in New Jersey." etc. Lovely, my fellow Americans.
Crushing taxes, high bureaucracy, entire cities that are uninhabitable (Newark, Camden, Trenton, Wildwood, Asbury Park, Atlantic City, etc.), weekly chemical spills/fires/explosions, and corruption that makes even New Yorkers shake their heads?

Yes, Doizey sucks.

I worked in Hackensack on and off. Not too terrible, but still Doizey. best part was filling up there and avoiding the insane NY gasoline taxes.

On that list I went from #11(NY) to #37(VA), we definitely have more money and it goes further here.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What do you think the property/house is worth for it to be so high?
Somewhere over $600K. It's nicer than my house.

Actually, what it's *worth* and what the county is appraising it are two very different things. I estimate my taxes are based on a value about 23% higher than what I could get for my house. I expect 10% appraisal hikes from now until the end of time. Protests are notoriously ineffectual.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Crushing taxes, high bureaucracy, entire cities that are uninhabitable (Newark, Camden, Trenton, Wildwood, Asbury Park, Atlantic City, etc.), weekly chemical spills/fires/explosions, and corruption that makes even New Yorkers shake their heads?

Yes, Doizey sucks.

I worked in Hackensack on and off. Not too terrible, but still Doizey. best part was filling up there and avoiding the insane NY gasoline taxes.

On that list I went from #11(NY) to #37(VA), we definitely have more money and it goes further here.
Oh yeah? "Doizey"? Bye.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Now you know how those of us in "flyover" country feel over the constant ignorance displayed towards our states.

Especially states that are attacked because of politics like Illinois and Kansas....and of course Wisconsin in recent years.
"Now" I know? Please. NJ's been sh*t on for decades. My complaints are nothing new. Hence the fact that I'm tired of it.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post

Yes, Doizey sucks.

Wildwood is uninhabitable? Tell that to the 1000's of tourists vacationing there as we speak...Asbury park is in the middle of regentrification, I still have high hopes for AC with the plans for the future that have recently been approved. I give you Camden and Trenton. No chemical spills or issues in south Jersey, yes we are still the "Garden State" down here.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Those states also boast the best education programs in the nation and receive the least support from the federal government.
I disagree. IIRC, Texas received over $19 billion from the Federal Government when the so-called "Obama Stimulus Money" was distributed. Fast forwarding to 2015, the Federal Government has provided billions of dollars in disaster relief because of flooding and other natural disasters.

However, even talking about support from the Federal Government is too general, since each state has different needs. Border states require more money for obvious reasons. States with National Parks, states with Military Bases, and so on will get more money from Washington. So most of the "lists" are inaccurate because they don't take these things into consideration.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wildwood is uninhabitable? Tell that to the 1000's of tourists vacationing there as we speak...Asbury park is in the middle of regentrification, I still have high hopes for AC with the plans for the future that have recently been approved. I give you Camden and Trenton. No chemical spills or issues in south Jersey, yes we are still the "Garden State" down here.
We have a troll on our hands... no one else says completely ridiculous and inaccurate stuff like that. Especially a former New Yorker (apparently) who despite the instant we are better than you bias should know better.

And again - "Doizey"??? That's definitely a first!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:55 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
While high property tax is one thing, overall tax liability and hidden costs should be calculated too. For example in NYC, the property taxes are lower but you have to pay extra NYC income tax as well as higher utility bills. Certain towns where the state caps the property tax but instead the towns raises use taxes.
Yeah, there are some great websites out there that look at total tax burden because whether it's sales tax, property tax or income tax it all comes out of the same checkbook at the end of the day.

I would state that some of the claims about having "the best schools" are equally misleading. There are tons of bogus methodologies out there to hand out awards that schools can point to and feel good about.

One of them heavily weights things like amount spent per pupil and diversity which makes high cost of living urban schools get stronger ratings regardless of academic performance. (way to stack the deck)

Another school award program cites a school relative to other schools in it's state so even if your state sucks at education....if you scrape together the best into magnet schools you'll get great ratings...but god help those "left behind" in the non-magnet schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events