Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:17 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
When they get caught, the wrongful death lawsuits will help insure they don't mingle with society consequence free. You see, there is no doubt that some of the people on whatever lists got distributed aren't the type to run to the police, they will use more direct means and its amazing what happens when such people want to know who did what. The hackers played with fire And the fuse has been lit. I wouldn't want to be any of them.
Reminds me of the joke of the guy who paid off the bet with a check and in the note field wrote "for Gay Sex".. Hoping that they guy would be too embarrassed to cash the check.

But.. I think you're way off base on the wrongful death suits. That would be a very tough case to make. Take the hacking angle out of it.. If I take pictures from the street of you going into a hotel room with a prostitute and send those to your wife, and you kill yourself because of it.. I have no liability there. It's a similar situation with the hackers.

I tap your phone and record a conversation between you and your mistress. The only liability there is wiretapping.

A better case could be made for harassment, but even that would be unlikely.

And, at the end of the day.. The reason they took their life was due to fallout from a choice that they made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Reminds me of the joke of the guy who paid off the bet with a check and in the note field wrote "for Gay Sex".. Hoping that they guy would be too embarrassed to cash the check.

But.. I think you're way off base on the wrongful death suits. That would be a very tough case to make. Take the hacking angle out of it.. If I take pictures from the street of you going into a hotel room with a prostitute and send those to your wife, and you kill yourself because of it.. I have no liability there. It's a similar situation with the hackers.

I tap your phone and record a conversation between you and your mistress. The only liability there is wiretapping.

A better case could be made for harassment, but even that would be unlikely.

And, at the end of the day.. The reason they took their life was due to fallout from a choice that they made.
Actually, you're incorrect in all thoae examples. If that defense would work the conviction or guilty found rate in the USA would drop considerably. Liability doesn't start and end with the result. You should call the tobacco companies, no doubt their lawyers could use the advice.

Last edited by Year2525; 08-25-2015 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 07:31 PM

119 posts, read 95,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
Strange, your post is the first one in this thread to mention what you are demanding people not to mention (and the post you quoted didn't mention anything about it).

Back to the topic...

Personally, I don't see why there needs to be a debate for 35 pages on C-D about the rightness or wrongness of what the hackers did. If it was an illegal act then let the authorities worry about it, it's their job, not mine. There are hundreds of stories of illegal acts every day, but it seems like people want to get caught up in this particular story, maybe because they have some emotional investment in it.

The issue that's being swept under the rug is that a lot of companies have much weaker safeguards against hacking than they could have, probably because there is no legal penalty for failure to safeguard the data (just a little embarrassment). While there may be no 100% solution (e.g., there may be inside jobs), companies are basically getting away with playing the victim role ("oh, bad luck, those evil hackers got to us"), even while their poor security choices are a major part of the problem. It's basically just a lack of a sense of responsibility on their part.
I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

People have been found liable in cases like that and will again. An example is an assistant district attorney whose chats were featured on 'To Catch a Predator, he ultimately ended up committing suicide. His sister brought forth a huge lawsuit against NBC, the judge allowed her to pursue damages for a variety of reasons and ultimately the case was settled out of court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events