Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:31 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times

Advertisements

It certainly has popular appeal, but it's important that we hold both laws and the people that enforce them to a high standard. Adultery isn't generally illegal and is not strictly enforced in the places where it is illegal. I don't condone or support cheating on your spouse (or even a non-spouse), but vigilante justice is far worse. If this group is tacitly allowed to break the law to punish something that is morally repugnant then other groups will feel justified as well.

Also, by all accounts very few people on the site actually did any cheating:

From the group:
We have explained the fraud, deceit, and stupidity of ALM and their members. Now everyone gets to see their data … Keep in mind the site is a scam with thousands of fake female profiles. See ashley madison fake profile lawsuit; 90-95% of actual users are male. Chances are your man signed up on the world’s biggest affair site, but never had one. He just tried to. If that distinction matters. …

Too bad for those men, they’re cheating dirtbags and deserve no such discretion. Too bad for ALM, you promised secrecy but didn’t deliver.…
The Ashley Madison Hackers Just Released a Ton of Stolen Data

It's not clear if the hackers are upset that people are cheating, upset that people are trying to cheat, or just upset that the site is basically a scam. Common sense suggest that the hackers aren't disgruntled spouses (do you think you would get away with discretely cheating on someone who can hack into a large website?), so the last choice seems like most plausible motivator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 07:27 AM

927 posts, read 969,212 times
Does anybody have a direct link to the list of names? I keep hearing alot of talk, but nobody seems to have the ability to prove anything. I can only conclude the list does not exist only in a fake news story.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I kinda hope every single presidential hopeful from both parties are on this list.
Better look under the C's for Clinton, William J. I doubt anyone would blame him.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 AM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
This just makes me wonder what the IRS hackers are going to do with their stolen data.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's one thing to expose crimes. It's another to commit a crime to expose poor behavior. Anyone who celebrates such crimes are disgusting. What if these hackers released your IRS filings or other personal information?
I agree, but people will instead focus on the behavior of the individuals and decide that crimes committed against them are thus all right.

I wonder if such self-righteous people have lives that are pure as the driven snow? I wonder how they would feel if their privacy was violated - for example, if their homes were broken into when they were away, and personal secrets of theirs were spirited away and then made public? Maybe painful letters detailing past actions they regret deeply, maybe documentation of such embarrassments as bankruptcies or past entanglements with the law? Of course, that would affect them, and they only want to dismiss the rights under the law of others, those at whom they are smugly pointing fingers.

The litmus test of a person's regard for justice is whether they think everyone deserves it, or whether they think it is only deserves by those deemed worthy of it by that person. Of course, the latter entirely contravenes the entire concept of justice, but it's no secret that a great many people don't really believe in the concept of justice for all, even the deeply flawed.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The dark web makes up about 90 percent of the whole internet. What you normally see is just the surface.
What movie/TV show was that from?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:40 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's one thing to expose crimes. It's another to commit a crime to expose poor behavior. Anyone who celebrates such crimes are disgusting. What if these hackers released your IRS filings or other personal information?
That is a really ignorant thing to say. They are exposing crimes, even if they "commit a crime" to do it. Many areas do have infidelity laws, even if those laws are not enforced.

Saying "What if they released your IRS filings" is creating an absurd comparison. What if the person bagging your groceries put your children in bags? How is that even remotely related to them bagging groceries? Why would that come up in the conversation? Yes, they put things in bags for a living, but that doesn't mean they are randomly throwing children into the bags. In the same way suggesting that there is any link between exposing a cheating POS and causing innocent people to become the victim of identify thefts is the very definition of ignorant analysis.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:44 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This and this. Anyone celebrating this has a few screws loose IMO. Then again I'm operating under the silly assumption that we'd be done with the whole scarlet letter and public shaming days or the idea that what adults consensually do with each other is nobody else's business.
Yep, sour grapes by anyone "celebrating" this hack. It's private confidential, albeit immoral activity, but still not open to the public.

Do your part as a spouse to keep your partner happy. Whether that by simply being faithful, or by keeping your love life vibrant. Whatever it takes. It's your spouse after all, and "no one knows them better" than you, right?

Marriage is bull$hit anyway...

Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
I really feel bad for all those who are having their info leaked. It must feel horrible to have your trust betrayed like that!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
I used to like Ashley Madison's Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cakes years ago when I worked for another company, but since I just bought them out of the vending machine, they never had my credit card info, name or address.

Of course, now that vending machines take credit cards, I can see how the list could be so long.

BTW, not everyone who eats their snacks deserved to be exposed as though they are constantly overeating and or obese, some people just have a Zinger or Twinkie from time to time. It's not that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events