Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Really? Are you that naive? Within minutes of the AFF release people and their families were being located through a social media search.

And if I put up a blog with your picture, email and work info and said that the only reason that your husband cheated is because you were a frigid, awful woman and that he discovered that the babies were actually the mailman's, how would you feel about that?

Once this information is out there, anyone can use it for any purpose that they wish. With the AFF hack, they didnt just target the respective members, people went after the families, kids got Facebook messages along the lines of "your mommy is a big, huge ****." Why? For the lulz of course.

The last thing anyone wants is a bunch of internet vigilantes with access to their information and a desire for mischief.
I'm joking. Relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:20 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm joking. Relax.
I waan't. I don't think most people comprehend how big of a footprint they've left on the interwebs. You can point and laugh at those involved in this and it could be you and your family having a spotlight illuminated upon them the next time.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
I waan't. I don't think most people comprehend how big of a footprint they've left on the interwebs. You can point and laugh at those involved in this and it could be you and your family having a spotlight illuminated upon them the next time.
My family is not that stupid.

This time I'm being serious.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
My family is not that stupid.

This time I'm being serious.

I'm sure a lot of people who had a spouse cheat, get involved with drugs, have a gambling addiction or any number of other vices that would be publicly embarrassing thought the same thing at one time too.

As I said before, we're all human, not a single one of us is perfect and we are all prone to doing foolish things at times, none of us would hold up under a bright spotlight illuminating the things we were most embarrassed about for all the world to see.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:28 AM

119 posts, read 95,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
This is one of the worst posts I've seen on this forum....and that's saying a lot.

One can make this argument if the parents got married too young. But anyone in their late 20s+ that's doing these kinds of things when they're married with children. Once a person is 30, they should absolutely know better and should know that actions have consequences in life.

Ultimately, they caused this pain by making bad decisions. Nobody else did.

I'm a twenty something, but am far from idealistic (if anything, I'm the opposite). For me, if my wife cheated, our marriage would be over regardless of the circumstances. A breach of trust that severe cannot be mended, imho.

These hackers are exposing deceit and are showing these children who their parents truly are. You have to ask yourself: Is it better to live in blissful ignorance or to learn a person's true character? I support the latter.
Kiddo, I've got children your age. Your views tend to mellow as you get older, unless you are an extremist.

In a year or two, take a sample of the families touched by this. You'll see divorce. Bitter custody hearings, bankruptcy, foreclosure, restraining orders. Nothing good will come of this. I admire your ideals. Keep them for as long as you can. But this, in no way, is a happy event. It's just sad.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
This will probably cause divorces and mess up families but it is probably just speeding up the inevitable. I'm guessing most these families aren't stable to begin with.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Who appointed these hackers to be in charge of the private misbehavior of the customers of this service?

Old 08-19-2015, 09:51 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
The leaked information is not breaking up families.

The cheating men and/or their knowing partners break up families. This is just but one more way for someone's dirty deeds to surface.
I know more cheating women than men so that street is two way.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Who appointed these hackers to be in charge of the private misbehavior of the customers of this service?

These hackers weren't on some moral crusade or anything of the sort, they just saw Ashley Madison boasting and guaranteeing that its members information would remain private as a challenge of sorts.

The reality is that there is no site that can guarantee 100% privacy, if its linked in, someone will be able to find a way in. Its the risk you take being online. Adult dating website profiles can also just as easily wind up being personal banking or credit card accounts and other sensitive financial and personal data.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
This and this. Anyone celebrating this has a few screws loose IMO. Then again I'm operating under the silly assumption that we'd be done with the whole scarlet letter and public shaming days or the idea that what adults consensually do with each other is nobody else's business.
Only if you are heterosexual is it anyone else's business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events