Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:12 AM

774 posts, read 744,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Here's what I see based on four quadrants:
I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread. How does this fall in with the sister wives desire to have polygamy legalized based on gay marriages being legalized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 AM

171 posts, read 197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
IMO, they have a valid point.
Especially since the cohabitation laws in Utah and some surrounding states were enacted with the expressed purpose of criminalizing the fundamentalist lifestyle after Utah outlawed polygamy in order to gain entry into the Union.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:16 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
BS if the gays can have their gay marriages then the polygamists should have their plural marriages. Divide the benefits up appropriately and if me as a taxpayer pay more then so be it. I'm for the rights of all not a few. People who are for gay marriages and against plural marriages are hypocrites.
How will you "divide up" the right to not be compelled to testify against your spouse? If a defendant has 3 legal spouses, can the state compel each spouse to testify, but they may omit every third word?

I don't at all agree with your last statement. Every adult now has the right to be married to the person of his/her choice. We all share that right equally. In what way is that hypocritical?

Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread. How does this fall in with the sister wives desire to have polygamy legalized based on gay marriages being legalized?
The thread appears to be a debate about poly marriage and whether people are for it or against it, with elements of the recently won same sex marriage pulled in as well.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Divide the benefits up appropriately and if me as a taxpayer pay more then so be it. I'm for the rights of all not a few.
I'm not interested in paying for other people to have "rights". People have the right to mate and breed but they shouldn't expect my success to foot the bill for it. There is a difference between "rights" and "entitlement". No one is owed anything more than what they earn.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:23 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Gay marriage rulings have pretty much opened up the flood gates.

Whether you believe Polygamy is right or wrong, I don't see how anyone who supported same-sex marriages could within the same logic reject incestuous or polygamous marriages.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What I think is interesting is that we always think of polygamy as being one man with multiple wives. What about the one wife with multiple husbands scenario?
I think that's because the "religions, cults, whatever" who currently practice polygamy would tell you that's not the way it works.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As it stands now employment related health insurance has different coverage levels. Usually something like this:

-Employee Only
-Employee + Spouse
-Employee + Child(ren)
-Employee+Spouse+Children

I don't see how health insurance would change all that much due to PM.
FFS, I'm not suggesting it can't be done. I'm simply pointing out that someone is going to have to tell the Health Insurance Companies that they aren't allowed to say "maximum of one spouse and 10 children". That someone would be the Gov't. Again, my point is that at this point, it's not possible to keep gov't out of marriage issues.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Gay marriage rulings have pretty much opened up the flood gates.

Whether you believe Polygamy is right or wrong, I don't see how anyone who supported same-sex marriages could within the same logic reject incestuous or polygamous marriages.
Yep. It's coming down to the theory that anyone should be able to do anything they want as long as everyone involved consents and is of age.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:35 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Goats and dogs, like children, are not capable of consent. That is a barrier I hope and pray that we never break.

This should come as no surprise to anyone. If gender is no longer material in the definition of marriage I see no reason why numbers or prior relationships should be either.
Agree^^. I'm not a Libertarian but I take the Libertarian approach on this: What consenting adults do it their business. It's ok not be to be pro Polygamy, or pro Gay for that matter, but as tax paying Citizens they should be free to do what they want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events