Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Goats and dogs, like children, are not capable of consent. That is a barrier I hope and pray that we never break.

I agree with you on this.

Quite honestly, I've never heard a responsible person in a non-standard relationship bring up such a wacko scenario. The only people that ever seem to introduce that scenario are those who have some psychological issues themselves and attempt to toss in "what if's" that are "straw man" arguments. Yes, there are some total nuts out there, but this issue is really a non-issue in terms of where society is evolving to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM

47 posts, read 34,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Trouble is, polygamy has always been a source of oppression for women. Same sex unions (now marriages) have not. That's what I've got against it.
One man one woman marriages have also been a source of oppression for many women over the centuries. Would that be a rationale for banning it?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:32 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,954 times
BS if the gays can have their gay marriages then the polygamists should have their plural marriages. Divide the benefits up appropriately and if me as a taxpayer pay more then so be it. I'm for the rights of all not a few. People who are for gay marriages and against plural marriages are hypocrites.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:43 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedinho View Post
One man one woman marriages have also been a source of oppression for many women over the centuries. Would that be a rationale for banning it?
What I think is interesting is that we always think of polygamy as being one man with multiple wives. What about the one wife with multiple husbands scenario?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:44 AM

171 posts, read 197,744 times
I don't understand people saying that government should get out of the business of marriage. Then who would define and legitimize marriages? Someone needs to-- marriage has legal consequences. If your answer to that question is "religion" or "church" or any variant of those, then you're essentially saying that atheists and agnostics shouldn't be able to marry. You would be taking a civil institution and making it into a purely religious one. That sort of violates a little thing called the Constitution.

Marriage predates religion, whether religious folks want to believe it or not.

As for the arguments against plural marriages purely for insurance reasons, there's a pretty simple answer to that: universal healthcare. Insurance tied to employment is an idea whose time has run its course.

As for the issue of SS benefits, why not just split the benefit? I'm sure a system could be devised.

I don't necessarily think plural marriage is a "good" thing, but it's not my job to determine what's right for other consenting adults.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:48 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
You make it sound so simple. Who's going to force the insurance companies or the SSA to do as you described? Gov't. That's my point.
As it stands now employment related health insurance has different coverage levels. Usually something like this:

-Employee Only
-Employee + Spouse
-Employee + Child(ren)
-Employee+Spouse+Children

I don't see how health insurance would change all that much due to PM.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
Bringing up sisters wives? Strange.....

Old 08-28-2015, 10:07 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
First step towards that end goal. Just like decriminalization of sodomy was the first step towards SSM. They have paid attention to the playbook.

I don't agree. There should have never been any laws about cohabitation in the first place. It is a private matter, affecting only the people involved.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Social Security - If you are my spouse, I die and you get $400 per month from being my spouse, it would remain the same, $400 would go to the the spouses. If I had four wives, each would receive $100.
That's just the death benefit. What about monthly benefits?

Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Further reading shows that the Browns are claiming that the cohabitation laws violate their first amendment rights to free exercise of their religion also.

[scribd]276381389[/scribd]

IMO, they have a valid point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events