Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:33 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,103,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedinho View Post
Polygamy has actually been part of marriage historically in a lot of places. Not a new idea at all
Isn't it allowed in the Bible? Let the religious freaks figure this one out and then come back and tell us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 11:33 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
You need to check yourself. Understood? No one tells me to calm down. Especially when they have no clue what the status of my current demeanor.
It's cool for you to tell others to calm down, but they had better not return the favor?

Old 08-28-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
To the people babbling on about insuring X number of children, I have a question: did they not offer mathematics at the schools you've attended?

Now, listen real carefully. Allowing plural marriages isn't going to change the number of women in society. If there's a relationship between a man and five women, then there's four men who simply don't have partners with which to create children. A woman can produce approximately one child per year. Plural marriage doesn't change that. Concentrating the male donation to the gene pool in a smaller number of individuals doesn't produce more babies.
Why are you assuming the women don't also have multiple marriages? Since it would be perfectly legal, that's a mighty big assumption.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why are you assuming the women don't also have multiple marriages? Since it would be perfectly legal, that's a mighty big assumption.
The case that makes plural marriages legal will probably involve a relationship with one woman and many husbands because then it will be a womens rights issue. After that though I'd bet a majority of plural marriages would involve one man and many wives. Men aren't usually wired to accept sharing a woman with other men. Or a gaygle of homosexual men might work too.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The case that makes plural marriages legal will probably involve a relationship with one woman and many husbands because then it will be a womens rights issue. After that though I'd bet a majority of plural marriages would involve one man and many wives. Men aren't usually wired to accept sharing a woman with other men. Or a gaygle of homosexual men might work too.
If polygamy were legal, I would expect to see a whole bunch of strategic polygamy. Legal marriages for the purpose of enjoying certain legal rights and privileges, with no true marital relationship.

For example, I would legally marry my son-in-law. In that way, my daughter can inherit indirectly through her husband. No estate tax.

No one would ever have to pay estate tax again. See the problem? It would only be a matter of time before there would be no exception for assets held jointly with your spouse. For anyone.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:22 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did anyone even bother to read the case that the article is about?

This case is about cohabitation laws in UTAH, not legal civil marriage.

[scribd]276381389[/scribd]
Thank you for beating me to this.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:26 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
You need to check yourself. Understood? No one tells me to calm down. Especially when they have no clue what the status of my current demeanor.
Placed on ignore.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:40 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
I think that's because the "religions, cults, whatever" who currently practice polygamy would tell you that's not the way it works.
I understand that. But if you were going to legalize it, you wouldn't legalize it that way.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
It's a logical point. The can of worms has been opened. Why should any of us be surprised?

Old 08-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I understand that. But if you were going to legalize it, you wouldn't legalize it that way.
Agreed. If plural marriage is legal, it has to be polygamy not polygyny or polyandry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events