Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 12:44 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Why aren't YOU eating bear meat? You say you hunt for food. If you aren't going to eat it, why kill it? Just doing those poor Indians a favor? The real reason, and one I just cannot understand, is because somehow, for some reason, you enjoy killing.
My first parish assignment was in the far north woods of Minnesota …

Many of my congregants were enthusiastic -- and generally skilled -- hunters, not for trophies, but for food … As a guest in their homes, I was given venison, moose, and yes, bear meat … It was all delicious ...

Old 09-07-2015, 12:47 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes.......I do enjoy the kill..........but, there is more to it than you would understand.

We spend a good share of time every day training our hunting dogs.

Six days a week they either run (15/20 miles) or, swim 10 miles.

Then they work during training season hunting bear.

It takes about 7 years to get a kill tag in Michigan..........so the harvest is decided by the state.

It is a very expensive sport.......that and other hunting and fishing is a huge part of the economy in Michigan.

Yes, hunting supports conservation.
I'm sure the hysterical anti-hunters never heard of Pittman–Robertson.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Dr. Palmer has a house filled with his "trophies". Dentist Walter Palmer 'wanted to show off Cecil the lion in special shrine' | Daily Mail Online

I highly doubt he feels any remorse over killing Cecil or guilt in luring him off protected land since his main obsession seems to be gathering more heads for his little house of horrors. Anyone who patronizes this dentist's business is contributing money to fund his "hobby". Hopefully that will deter new patients and lose some old ones.
Who this will hurt is the locals where the lion was killed.

Their government issues the kill permits........because control is necessary and hunting is a part of their economy.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
My first parish assignment was in the far north woods of Minnesota …

Many of my congregants were enthusiastic -- and generally skilled -- hunters, not for trophies, but for food … As a guest in their homes, I was given venison, moose, and yes, bear meat … It was all delicious ...
Venison is our main meat.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:59 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Quote:
Who this will hurt is the locals where the lion was killed.

Their government issues the kill permits........because control is necessary and hunting is a part of their economy.
Control of lions is not necessary. They aren't endangered but they are close to getting there. Hence the reason for collaring them and providing protected lands for them to live and breed.

Less than 5% of the proceeds from the hunting permits goes toward conservation. If exotic hunters were so concerned with wildlife conservation they could simply donate money, but then I suppose it wouldn't be as much fun as shooting an animal, watching it die, skinning and beheading it and having something to brag about to their friends as they gaze at the poor creatures head hanging on their wall.

Trophy hunters cannot fathom the repulsion detractors feel for their actions, and detractors cannot fathom how anyone can think trophy hunting is acceptable. From the public's response to Dr. Palmer's murder of Cecil, it appears the majority feel as I do - trophy hunting is morally wrong.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Control of lions is not necessary. They aren't endangered but they are close to getting there. Hence the reason for collaring them and providing protected lands for them to live and breed.

Less than 5% of the proceeds from the hunting permits goes toward conservation. If exotic hunters were so concerned with wildlife conservation they could simply donate money, but then I suppose it wouldn't be as much fun as shooting an animal, watching it die, skinning and beheading it and having something to brag about to their friends as they gaze at the poor creatures head hanging on their wall.

Trophy hunters cannot fathom the repulsion detractors feel for their actions, and detractors cannot fathom how anyone can think trophy hunting is acceptable. From the public's response to Dr. Palmer's murder of Cecil, it appears the majority feel as I do - trophy hunting is morally wrong.
What you are missing is the fact that just because a trophy is made from part of the hunt........the meat can still feed others.

And BTW, paying the taxidermist is very costly.........more jobs.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:19 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Why aren't YOU eating bear meat? You say you hunt for food. If you aren't going to eat it, why kill it? Just doing those poor Indians a favor? The real reason, and one I just cannot understand, is because somehow, for some reason, you enjoy killing.
Bear meat is excellent.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:36 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Venison is our main meat.
Ours too. Wild game is the best.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Bear meat is excellent.
Most of our friends agree.

It is just something we do not care for.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:57 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yes, hunting supports conservation.
I'm sure the hysterical anti-hunters never heard of Pittman–Robertson.
If you hunting for fun folks are so proud of your "sport", then don't blame me for having no sympathies when you are attacked, injured or even killed by your prey. In fact, for you special lot, I am hoping that your prey fight back hard and successfully. And there should be a law that forbid the use of public money to rescue lost and injured hunters in the wild. Go at your own peril and cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events