Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 12:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times

Advertisements

Hunting is done with permits.

And there is a limit to the amount of permits issued.

So.........if posters are really concerned.....what you can do is apply for kill permits.........then do not hunt.

You will save an animal.

Put you money where your mouth is.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 PM

233 posts, read 418,036 times
He's not the first prize hunter around, and he's not the only one around now. He just accidentally killed a wrong animal.

I have no respect for them. They sit in their car and shoot an animal a half mile away with their sniper rifle and brag to their friends about how tough they are. You kill a bear with a bowie knife and you can brag to me about it.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sminthian View Post
He's not the first prize hunter around, and he's not the only one around now. He just accidentally killed a wrong animal.

I have no respect for them. They sit in their car and shoot an animal a half mile away with their sniper rifle and brag to their friends about how tough they are. You kill a bear with a bowie knife and you can brag to me about it.
Where is hunting from a car legal????

Old 09-08-2015, 01:03 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
To some, it is about Cecil.

To others...like me...it is about the arrogance of hiring people who don't know any better to help you corner an animal and then shooting it, not for food and need, but for "sport". Then the animal is thrown away....after they cut the head off, or skin the beast so the "hunter" can bring home the spoils for all to see what a macho danger slaying man he is.

Macho man? How about weak little dweeb with no respect for life and how precious it is...for all. Nothing wrong with the food chain....except we somehow protect those, like the dentist, who are too weak/stupid to protect themselves.

My final thought is we let the dentist go in a protected area. Hang some fresh, raw meat from his flank, and see how he does against a pride of hungry lions. Isn't that basically what he though was "sport"?
Agreed. It's not just Cecil - it's all animals. Find another way to puff up your chest. Better yet, go see a good shrink.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Funny how so many people who don't care about Cecil are taking the time to follow and post!

Anywho, for those who are really interested in conservation here is an interesting article on Cecil:

Twisting Tales – Cecil and Jericho » Friends of Hwange Trust
Thanks for posting the link. More funny is some of them sounded more outrage defending over the killer's rights than what they deemed as false outrage towards Cecil's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
That's the problem I have with it. Despite all the arguments about how trophy hunting supports wildlife conservation, feeds local populations (but not in this case however), being legal (maybe, but not in this case), etc., the fact remains that this lion died for no other reason than a human being wanted to kill it. That was his only motive.
I don't think the dentist's life should be ruined over this incident, and don't agree with some of the over-the-top hate directed at him. But in the end if his professional life is ruined, I really don't care. I despise what he did, and if there are consequences, so be it.
I will say if there are consequences he deserves it, the lion did not deserve to be killed the way he did.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:15 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I always Google new providers. I most certainly know what I can about them.
Yes, I understand. Oh..how I understand. But, again, what you DO (professionally) doesn't speak to who you ARE. When I was in the plumbing/heating trade, I was (still am) quite good at what I did. But that spoke very little as to my personal life. The man in question here, is , obviously, quite a good dentist. When your teeth are killing you, you want them fixed, for the pain to go away, You want a doctor to help you. When your sick, and/or in severe distress, you want the doctor to help you feel, even a tiny bit can matter a LOT, better.

Most people aren't concerned , at time of that distress, if the medical pros attending, are a trophy hunter. I've had some attending doctors that struck me wrong, personality wise, wasn't to concerned about that, till I was in a state to worry about it. Which, often, came much later. So, since our wannabe Tarzan here, is good at fixing teeth, I figure he'll continue to do OK. Even though folks know as much as they do, if he can fix their immediate issues...that won't matter.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have no idea how any of my, numerous, medical pros take their ...pleasures. Do you? I'm genuinally curious, I'm not being snarky. Most folks don't hang out with their doctors. Don't know them, personally, or much care . So long as they are good at what they do, who they are, matters little.
I know some doctors personally, and at least three of them are big hunters. Not trophy hunting of big game, but hunters all the same. It doesn't bother me. In fact, I know a lot of hunters and not one of them is a sociopath.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:44 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I second this
This guy's office is just a few miles from my house. I really hope his dental practice goes down the crapper - no more safari hunts for him.
Yes, no big deal if his practice goes under. After all, it had a good run and another dentist will come along, I'm sure.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Thanks for posting the link. More funny is some of them sounded more outrage defending over the killer's rights than what they deemed as false outrage towards Cecil's death.

I will say if there are consequences he deserves it, the lion did not deserve to be killed the way he did.
How do you feel about fishing????

Old 09-08-2015, 02:11 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know some doctors personally, and at least three of them are big hunters. Not trophy hunting of big game, but hunters all the same. It doesn't bother me. In fact, I know a lot of hunters and not one of them is a sociopath.
Quite. I do know a couple of my docs hunt. I've been a hunter, all my life, but how we came to know each other, in that manner, came up in conversation over magazines I was reading in the hospital, when they did rounds..stuff like that. I've never been to the field with any of them. Never tracked a stock killing cat through the Wassucks, or been out to fill my freezer, with a single one. So, I knew that they hunted...what KIND of hunter, or the real measure of the man/woman...nope.

Without any common ground for personal engagement, however brief, (said literature laying in my lap) never would have known they hunted, at all. I know some guys, who we refer to as "killers". Shoot hell out of a field of geese and such, who will dump the game afterwards. I helped bring two of these clowns down. With a simple phone call, a set of ethics, and a willingness to help. We , as hunters, have an obligation to police our own ranks, as it were. More appropriately, would be, to help police our hunting grounds.

But I digress. Point is, here, what you do, ain't who you are. Striking at someone, in their professional capacity (depending on the "transgression") for their personal life, is ill advised and counterproductive. Certainly, there are exceptions. Some idiot is going to read the latter in the context of a child molester/pediatrician thing. Gimme a break. I know where lines NEED be drawn. But, in the case in question, that doesn't apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events