Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 03:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
His staff obviously want to keep their jobs, but what kind of person would willingly be a patient of a "doctor" who derives pleasure in poaching lions?

And, moreover, who would give their hard-earned money to him so he can go out and kill more living things? There are plenty of good dentists out there who aren't sadistic animal killers.
Me.

Listen I understand (kind of) the outrage about this lion but big game hunting is nothing new. Many rich people have engaged in such activities for centuries. I really don't think this makes someone a psychopath. IMO, its not much difference between your run of the mill deer hunter and vegans. Vegans think hunters are terrible, awful people. Are they? Its all lies in our own perception.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I bet every part of that lion was used somehow, for food, something....

nope..... he was decapitated and skinned and the rest left to rot.......

Old 09-08-2015, 05:32 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Not in Cecil's case. The cowards skinned him, cut off his head, and left the rest.

Cecil the Lion -- Bones Will Become a Memorial | TMZ.com
I haven't really read anything on this as it really doesn't bother me and I had no idea there was some cat named Cecil or whatever before this and really don't care much going on.

That being said, did this dentist hop on a plane and go there on his own and then go hunt a lion in some far away country he isn't familiar with? Highly doubtful. So he hired a guide!

Now, if one is to spend the money to hire an outfitter/guide it is up to the outfitter/guide to have everything legally ready as far as licensing and permission is concerned. The hunter is paying and trusting that everything he is doing is 100% legal. So, why again is everyone so pissed off at the dentist. How I see it is that he was on a legitimate hunt, or at least belived to be.

As far as the meat, same thing. It goes to the locals. If in this case it didn't it should be on the guide/outfitter who didn't finish the normal process. Another thing, is the site you linked to just some anti-hunting propaganda site? Was the meat not taken? Or was the usable meat taken and the unusable parts, such as the "gut pile" etc.. just left there and people are considering the unusable parts the whole carcass?

All this is really no different then when I take clients out fishing. They are paying for a service in which we have aquired all licensing in the places we may be. All they have to do is show up and hop on the boat. Tournaments where big blue marlin are killed, the fish get donated to the food bank. It is our understanding that if we head to the scales and drop off a big marlin that it will go to the needyu and not rot in the dumpster. It is then out of our control.

Once again, why all the fuss over a dentist who I'm sure believed he was legally hunting a cat? If not legally in any way at all, does anyone have any proof that he knew he was in the wrong and not just being guided incorrectly, in which case it should be an issue with the guide. After all, hunting lions and other big game in Africa is not illegal.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
nope..... he was decapitated and skinned and the rest left to rot.......
And that rot still fed something.........and made fertilizer.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
Well, today's the day he's supposed to return to work. Minneapolis is a about 1000km west of where I live, and it's about 8:30AM here and almost 7:30AM there. I wonder how this is unfolding.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
This and deflategate are the dumbest stories of 2015

Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,925,236 times
He insists he didn't know cecil was a prized national treasure
he broke no law...sure in my opinion trophy hunting animals like lions is douche baggery...but again he broke no law

people spray painting his garage door, harassing him, making DEATH THREATS are 10x the douche bag he is...in my opinion...

Old 09-08-2015, 06:49 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
For those commenting without knowing much about the backstory:

Dr. Palmer and his guides tied a dead animal to the back of their jeep and dragged it from protected land into unprotected land, in order to lure the lion from the sanctuary. Palmer shot the lion with an arrow, did not kill it and went back to the lodge. The lion suffered 40 hours before they returned to kill it. When it was discovered the lion was collared, they tried to dispose of the collar and did not report it. Rather, the lion was skinned and beheaded, and left to rot. Immediately after the kill, Dr. Palmer wanted to kill an elephant, specifying it had to be large one. When the guide told him an elephant of the size Palmer wanted to kill would be difficult to find, Dr. Palmer left the country. The day after he left, the guide reported the killing of the lion, and the head and skin were confiscated by law officials.

Palmer has been guilty of unethical hunting in the past. A few years back, he obtained a permit to hunt bear in a particular county. He killed a bear 40 miles outside of the allowed area, dragged it back to the allowed area and tried to claim it was shot it the allowed area. Reports from his guide/companions state that he tried to bribe them to lie about the whereabouts of the killing, which they refused to do. He was arrested and made some kind of plea deal.

It's pretty obvious that the only thing this guy cares about is that he can kill whatever it is he goes after, law and rules be damned. I'm sure there have been many other violations he has committed that he got away with in the past. Apparently Safari Club International, which promotes big game hunting worldwide, thought his behavior to be so unethical they suspended his membership.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,925,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Just make sure that this is not a flash in the pan as far as his reputation goes. If you truly believe in the cause, then make sure that his name is well known around his workplace so that people can decide whether to go to him or not. That's all anyone can do.

He's a slimebag in my book, and I would make sure that everyone I run into knows what he did. In this day and age, social media is such a powerful tool; I can't imagine that this would be forgotten if people don't allow it to be.
SO there is NOTHING...absolutely NOTHING in your past that you would want kept a secret from your clients or coworkers/boss??

I doubt that

be careful up there on that high horse peeps, the fall is painful

Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
If you look at the River Bluff Dental facebook page, his staff have been posting cartoons of lions mocking protesters and others outraged by Dr. Palmer's actions. They don't seem upset or offended by his actions at all.
Personally, I'm far more offended by the reaction to this dentist than the hunt. People hunt. It's not unreasonable to believe he went on a hunt he thought was legal and was directed by his guides to an easier hunting ground. Their goal was to make money, and apparently he paid a lot. In a country where lions kill the local population sometimes, and other lions are hunted without controversy at all, I think the only people concerned about Cecil are animal rights activists. Apparently, the local population thinks they have far more pressing problems to deal with. Did you know a safari guide was killed by a lion in that same park a couple of weeks ago? Not to mention the thousands of political prisoners and murder of citizens by their own brutal dictator.

The thing that has offended me the most are all the calls to deport a U.S. citizen to a brutal dictatorship to face "justice," when that government issued the hunting license in the first place. We used to try to keep U.S. citizens out of countries like that when they were jailed. Remember the histrionics over Amanda Knox, who may have murdered a human being? We fought tooth and nail to get that girl out of Italy, though we can't be bothered getting preachers out of prison in Iran even while negotiating a deal that will get them billions of dollars in oil revenue. And people want this dentist to go to jail in Zimbabwe!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events