Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 05:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mario View Post
My question is why we care more about lions in Africa than we do about the people in Africa. While they are starving, everyone else is talking about a lion. What affect does a lion have on any of our lives.
"Nature" -- and the frank careless abuse of Nature -- have profound effects on all lives everywhere, in Africa and here in wealthy white North American suburbs ...

Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM

10,764 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Hello … ???

What I'm pointing out should be obvious … (The fact that the point is being so easily *missed* indicates something of the problem, IMHO …)

There are "ethical" ways … and here are "unethical" ways … to channel $$$ into the economies of struggling African societies …
OK, I get it. You are suggesting that "wealthy white persons in rich Western societies" do something that they will in fact never do.

Not much of a point.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
OK, I get it. You are suggesting that "wealthy white persons in rich Western societies" do something that they will in fact never do.

Not much of a point.
Indeed …
Most likely "wealthy white persons in rich Western suburbs" will be looking out for Number 1, for sure … (So who cares about them and their odd violent anti-Nature hobbies … ???)

Old 09-08-2015, 05:46 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Why is it only cute animals that cause an uproar when they are killed? The same people who are outraged by the death of Cecil are the very same ones that will track down a cockroach and stomp on it or poison it in the cruelest way. And how about guinea worms? There are people like Jimmy Carter who are trying to kill off this most endangered of species entirely. Save the Guinea Worm Foundation

Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Why is it only cute animals that cause an uproar when they are killed? The same people who are outraged by the death of Cecil are the very same ones that will track down a cockroach and stomp on it or poison it in the cruelest way. And how about guinea worms? There are people like Jimmy Carter who are trying to kill off this most endangered of species entirely. Save the Guinea Worm Foundation
For many years we have taught our children and now grandchildren to capture "bugs" in a jar, look at them for a while, and release them outdoors …

Cockroaches carry pathogens and so ought to be eliminated from homes with no compunction ...

Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 PM

10,764 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Indeed …
Most likely "wealthy white persons in rich Western suburbs" will be looking out for Number 1, for sure … (So who cares about them and their odd violent anti-Nature hobbies … ???)
When you finally come to an understanding that controlled, managed hunting actually helps game populations, you will likely stop referring to it as "anti-nature."

You don't have to like it, but denying the reality surrounding hunting is silly in the extreme.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:56 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And that rot still fed something.........and made fertilizer.
True. For lion lovers these posters don't watch much Lion King. Cecil was old. When he died his rot became the grass and the antilope eat the grass. Plus, the hunters took the skin and head to make use of it.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:01 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
When you finally come to an understanding that controlled, managed hunting actually helps game populations, you will likely stop referring to it as "anti-nature."

You don't have to like it, but denying the reality surrounding hunting is silly in the extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiyQvm9d4tM

I posted this before, but I doubt many took the time to watch it.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Former hunter here … I understand hunting …

Many of my north woods congregants hunted for meat (not trophies) … My oldest brother and his number two son have been avid lifelong hunters …

There are good responsible hunters and there are *slob* hunters ...

Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
I don't fishing. I purchased live lobsters and set them free at sea though. What's your problem?
Interesting thing to do. I've heard of catch and release, but those are some ...lucky...crustaceans. Caught, hauled all the way to market, what are the odds for survival? Lol, that's a critter that's SUPPOSED to not be potted. Literally, part of The Plan, at least from a lobsters take. You know, they are now worshipped as gods, by their peers. Been to the gates of the Under verse, and returned as different beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events