Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 02:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
You do realize that all predators hunt for sport.
With a great deal less concern for the other species. Even to extinction.
The only natural predator (besides humans) that I've heard about that does that is the domestic house cat. There may be a few others, but I'll bet they are few & far between.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:15 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Wow, just wow.

Let's just say you don't have much of a conscience. Hope no one harms anyone in your family.
Over 9,000 trophy hunters went to South Africa last year for big game hunting. It's a business that employs 70,000 people in an area where jobs are scarce. Those 9,000 trophy hunters (90% of which come from the U.S.) spent over $115 million. While there is a sentimental school of thought that all animals should be allowed to live in peace and tranquility, no one seems to get upset when these wild animals are attacking and killing children and villagers. The meat from those trophy kills are distributed to nearby villages, who are a) grateful for the food, and b) grateful they don't have to worry about attacking animals.

If you're going to get mad at this dentist, you also need to step back and look at the big picture -- those 9,000 trophy hunters, should we hunt them down and make their lives a living hell, threaten their jobs and their families for something is that a) legal, b) encouraged, and c) done with an eye towards conservation of the entire wildlife circle of life (too many of one dominant species threatens other species, etc.)? If you don't want to go big game hunting -- don't.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:20 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
The only natural predator (besides humans) that I've heard about that does that is the domestic house cat. There may be a few others, but I'll bet they are few & far between.
Most predators do at some point or other even if just to train their own offspring. As a lad I used to specialize in removing problem predatory animals by trapping. The worst I've even seen was over 400 chickens killed in 2 nights on a chicken farm by Mink. They urinate and spray scent all over the kills so nothing else will eat it.

Killer Whales will kill Sea lions just to play with them. They do the same to Dolphin or Sharks.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Over 9,000 trophy hunters went to South Africa last year for big game hunting. It's a business that employs 70,000 people in an area where jobs are scarce. Those 9,000 trophy hunters (90% of which come from the U.S.) spent over $115 million. While there is a sentimental school of thought that all animals should be allowed to live in peace and tranquility, no one seems to get upset when these wild animals are attacking and killing children and villagers. The meat from those trophy kills are distributed to nearby villages, who are a) grateful for the food, and b) grateful they don't have to worry about attacking animals.

If you're going to get mad at this dentist, you also need to step back and look at the big picture -- those 9,000 trophy hunters, should we hunt them down and make their lives a living hell, threaten their jobs and their families for something is that a) legal, b) encouraged, and c) done with an eye towards conservation of the entire wildlife circle of life (too many of one dominant species threatens other species, etc.)? If you don't want to go big game hunting -- don't.

There has been NO evidence presented -- zip, zero, none -- that "Cecil" was attacking villagers' children or that the people of Zimbabwe have been rejoicing over the lion's death …

But … I had my own near close encounter just a bit over two years ago …

I was picking some wonderful ripe delicious wild raspberries in a wild overgrown (but suburban) area near the Mississippi River, when I noticed some fresh deer tracks in the dusty dirt road, which indicated an obvious startled*quick*start*run …

Nearby in the dust were a couple of fresh perfect beautiful large cougar tracks … !!! My first impression was of course hair raised on the back of my neck, knowing that mountain lions in North America do take and kill and eat human beings opportunistically …

At the same time, being in my 60s, having lived a full interesting life, my first fear was not for my own life, but that of the lion … (S)he remains rare and endangered in America due to massive over-hunting in the past … There are still too few of their species around, but lots of plenty enough of guys like me …

If that near encounter had turned out badly for me, it would have been worse for his/her kind, as (s)he would certainly have been hunted down and killed ...

Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most predators do at some point or other even if just to train their own offspring. As a lad I used to specialize in removing problem predatory animals by trapping. The worst I've even seen was over 400 chickens killed in 2 nights on a chicken farm by Mink. They urinate and spray scent all over the kills so nothing else will eat it.
You have a point. I remember back on the farm my Grandmother would lose numerous chickens to various predators on occasion. Some were eaten, and some weren't. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You have a point. I remember back on the farm my Grandmother would lose numerous chickens to various predators on occasion. Some were eaten, and some weren't. Practice makes perfect, I guess.
A good number of predators will kill prey animals when opportunity presents itself, with the chance to come back the next day or so to finish up the "leftovers" …
(Think of the human habit of going to the supermarket and stocking up for the coming week … it's often like that …) …

In addition, large predators such as wild cats will first eat the internal organs, which are readily available and good chewing right away …
The muscle flesh is often left to "age" for a day or two, becoming softened up for consumption by diners who bolt down large chunks of food, rather than doing extensive chewing (as we omnivores do) ...

Old 09-09-2015, 02:41 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
There has been NO evidence presented -- zip, zero, none -- that "Cecil" was attacking villagers' children or that the people of Zimbabwe have been rejoicing over the lion's death …
People and livestock being eaten by lions is a very real issue. That Cecil may not have been engaging in such activity doesn't change that fact. Nor does it change the fact that controlled lion hunting reduces the number of negative encounters that the locals have with lions.

Remember, the Dr. didn't go hunt "Cecil the preserve dwelling lion." Instead, he went lion hunting, and the lion that he got happened to be Cecil. Big difference.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:44 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Wow.........just wow!!!!

You attack a poster saying THEY sound miserable?????

Are you a moderator???
Are YOU a moderator???
Well,
Quote:
Ya, these morons born in a mall should just stay there. Douche bags release aquarium fish because they are too stupid to figure out how to care for them. These fish that are not indigenous to the area take over. We now have carp, snake heads and other niceties because of these empty headed fools that have watched too many movies like avatar. Clueless and classless.

They cause millions of dollars of damage by these "good deeds". What kind of moron releases a store bought anything? Would you release a dog from the pet store? A poisonous snake? Dipsticks.
Yeah WOW. So yes the poster sound miserable to me with repeated names calling in one post, didn't mean to attack and if someone is offended they are free to click on report anytime. Is there any particular reason for your much enthusiastic effort??

Old 09-09-2015, 02:49 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,374 times
Quote:
Sorry if I hit a nerve responding to a post about admitted stupid acts of destroying local ecosystems, it was not directed at you but I'm guessing you now realize how stupid releasing animals can be? We now have pythons in Florida released by "do gooders".

BTW what does lobster have to do with a lion? Maybe YOU should stay on topic..
Don't be sorry I'm sure your name calling wasn't directed at me.. Like I said we don't have a problem here, must be where you live what you complaint are dangerous and inconsiderable act rather than stupid, which is probably why you're so terribly upset about. Anyway the lobster post was a reply to the other curious poster that's why I did not elaborate further, just pointing it out to you.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:16 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Links? Do corrupt people advertise? I've done enough reading about Africa and their many issues and corruption is often mentioned. No links. What is it with this "Got links" thing?
So, your opinion...thanks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events