Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 10:50 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
But, the hunter does not chose........what they kill is determined by the state.

It is the state that does not want the smaller bucks harvested.
No …

At least in Minnesota, a "buck" is a "buck and a "doe" is a "doe" … Period …

Licenses issued by the State do not specify "Large Rack Only" ...

Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
No …

They do in Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...-,00.html#deer

Go down to antler point restriction .

Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
No …

Look like your state is getting ready for restrictions too.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreat...ntersurvey.pdf

Old 09-10-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
They do in Michigan.

DNR - Big Game

Go down to antler point restriction .
Okay …

That means:

LOTS of deer in Michigan have large racks …
or …
FEW hunters bag a deer in Michigan …
and/or …
The deer population in Michigan is managed for and by the trophy hunters … ???

Old 09-10-2015, 11:13 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
His staff obviously want to keep their jobs, but what kind of person would willingly be a patient of a "doctor" who derives pleasure in poaching lions?

And, moreover, who would give their hard-earned money to him so he can go out and kill more living things? There are plenty of good dentists out there who aren't sadistic animal killers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The problem for this dentist is that when customers are faced with the choice of someone who did this and was in the news vs someone who just is a dentist with no recent crazy PR, people will choose to not be involved in his drama. You never know who will show up at this office and I wouldn't risk it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I can't imagine who would want to go to him.
Its Minnesota. A huge number of his patient population hunts, some hunt bear, etc. Those that don't, have family members that do. Most of them probably don't see him as some deranged sociopath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I don't imagine the good doctor actually ate the lion Cecil? That's the point. Hunting for fun or sport is repulsive.
Someone ate Cecil. That's typically how it works with Safaris. Also, the locals are probably thrilled that there is one less lion to carry away their children or livestock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Sure, that worked up until the time we realized we could keep animals for food instead of randomly hunting them.

No need for anyone to hunt these days, especially to hunt meat-eating predators, which humans have shunned eating for thousands of years.

I am not referring to those who hunt for food. For some, it may be necessary.
Not quite true. Humans prefer to hunt game that is less likely to kill them. Deer, antelope, moose, birds, don't feed on humans. Predators are more likely to take exception to your spear, bow, or rifle, and make an issue of it, and naw your leg off for supper.

Quote:
Who this will hurt is the locals where the lion was killed.

Their government issues the kill permits........because control is necessary and hunting is a part of their economy.
Nope. It will help the locals. Some of them eat the lion, many of them were employed tracking and skinning the lion, and the lion won't eat any of their kids.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Look like your state is getting ready for restrictions too.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreat...ntersurvey.pdf
Hello … ???

It's an old document -- ten years ago -- and recommended considering a shift toward greater harvest of "antler less" deer in northwest Minnesota … So … ???

So, no …

Licenses issued by the State of Minnesota do not specify -- have never specified -- "Large Rack Only" ...

Old 09-10-2015, 11:30 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Yes …

Recreational hunters often will try for a "trophy" and also a lot of meat …

Subsistence hunter/gatherers operate more responsibly ...
I don't know why you think the two are mutually exclusive...Anyhow, how do you define subsistence hunting? I like to hunt and fish, and I like to eat what I catch/kill. If I don't get anything, I'm not going to starve, but I'm not going to waste anything either. I hunt and fish because I enjoy it. I will try and shoot one deer to make sure I have venison and then will hunt for a bigger buck. Will I stick his antlers on my wall? Yes. Will I eat any less of him than the first "meat deer?" No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many people do no accept hunting for food as acceptable. Why is your perception more correct than theirs? To carry that further why is someone else's perception less correct than yours if they see nothing wrong with trophy hunting?

PS - many deer and bear hunters who "hunt for food" do anything but. They just want a trophy too.
Their perception isn't more correct based on a host of biological reasons, and any wildlife biologist would tell you the problems we would have with the deer population if we didn't have hunting.

As to the "trophy" deer or bear hunters, what difference does it make if they shoot Bambi's older brother with Spikes for antlers, or his dad with a 10 point rack?

Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Some of them eat the lion, many of them were employed tracking and skinning the lion, and the lion won't eat any of their kids.
No one, not even anyone defending the killing of that particular lion ("Cecil"), has brought forward any evidence that "Cecil" was "eating kids" …

Following your "logic," we humans should as soon as possible embark on a mission to exterminate all lions, tigers and bears everywhere … (before they "eat our kids" …)

Old 09-10-2015, 11:35 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,678 times
I compare this dentist to Troy Gentry who faked a video of him killing a big, bad bear. This was a tame bear, and Cecil was a protected lion that was lured from his safe home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDsUx4PH5Aw

I've never been called a bunny hugger before, but I'm fine with that title. Its better than getting pleasure from killing a living being for fun and for its body parts to hang on a wall. Hunting for needed food, fine. Killing because it gives you a high, sick and depraved.

I see no difference between hanging a animal head on your wall, than the serial killers who collect trophies from their human victims. I'm not saying the animal is as important as the human, but its the same bloodlust behavior. Even though I kill bugs and spiders, I derive no pleasure from it. And before you say spiders are needed and helpful, I have Brown Recluses.

I was at a friends, and after dinner the 2 young grandkids said they were going out to kill birds. I threw a fit that made my host mad, but it shocked me that this was a normal activity for this family. Who raises their kids to enjoy killing for fun? I adored these two boys, but I wonder if they grew up to be like this dentist. And my feelings against trophy hunting/Cecil have nothing to do with a dang cartoon or movie! Its wrong to kill man or beast and enjoy it. I watch several reality shows where they kill to live, and I love how they thank the animal and show regret. That's how it should be.

I also have two dogs, not 75 cats.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't know why you think the two are mutually exclusive...Anyhow, how do you define subsistence hunting? I like to hunt and fish, and I like to eat what I catch/kill. If I don't get anything, I'm not going to starve, but I'm not going to waste anything either. I hunt and fish because I enjoy it. I will try and shoot one deer to make sure I have venison and then will hunt for a bigger buck. Will I stick his antlers on my wall? Yes. Will I eat any less of him than the first "meat deer?" No.

Their perception isn't more correct based on a host of biological reasons, and any wildlife biologist would tell you the problems we would have with the deer population if we didn't have hunting.

As to the "trophy" deer or bear hunters, what difference does it make if they shoot Bambi's older brother with Spikes for antlers, or his dad with a 10 point rack?
The dentist who killed "Cecil" was not engaged in "subsistence" hunting …

He did not go all the way to Zimbabwe because he and his relatives wanted to eat something different than chicken, beef, pork and walleye ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events