Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
A "trophy" hunter preferentially tries to take an animal that is big, strong, healthy and (almost certainly) most successful at differential reproduction … That is a fact, not just an opinion based upon a perception ...

This is not a good thing for the survival and prospering of that population of that species … That is a fact, not just an opinion based upon a perception …

"Trophy" hunting is bad wildlife "conservation" practice ...
LOL!!

Your "facts" are hogwash. Managing for "trophy's" is probably the BEST practice going to ensure a healthy, successful herd.

Study up on quality deer management practices here in the US. The practices are similar in Africa, but info. from the US is probably easier to obtain.

QDM is responsible for the best quality deer harvests in the history of the US, and it's happening now.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Neither are dogs....

Nice try at deflecting from true meaning of posts.
You made a statement that was factually incorrect, and I pointed out your error. I wasn't "deflecting" anything.

Dog fighting is illegal. Lion hunting isn't. I hope that simple distinction isn't lost on you.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think most people definitely do care about trophy hunting and are disgusted by it.

Many years ago, a neighbor I had just met invited me over to her house for coffee and her family room wall was covered with animal heads which her husband killed and had stuffed, and they were referred to as trophies.

I was very uncomfortable (and disgusted; the place gave me the creeps), and told her that although she seems very nice, herself, that I could not be comfortable in her home and knew that I could not be friends with her husband and that would put a damper on any friendship we might have, so I excused myself and left right away. She said that I wasn't the only one who felt this way, and that her husband's hobby caused her to have few friends. I really felt sorry for her (and truthfully, I silently questioned her judgment in choice of husbands and her meekness); however, feeling sorry for someone is not the basis for a good friendship.

I believe you are far off base. Just because you live in San Fran you aren't seeing how the rest of the Country lives. Putting a set of horns on your wall is quite normal in most of the US. You are just sheltered because you live where you live. The same goes for NYC.

Head over to Sac and you'll see a lot of hunters, and imo every buck or archery deer in S Cal is a trophy. In the mid west you'd be the one being laughed at and scorned for making a comment about a trophy deer on a wall. You might even get some people to coffee/beer out the nose if you said that in a small store or bar.

I do find it lame though that you would judge a woman for what her husband does for a hobby. You probably did her favor, for that I applaud you.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:43 AM

National Geographic would hardly be considered a "pro hunting" organization. Here is what they had to say about lions, lion hunting, and whether they should be on the endangered species list:

Opinion: African Lions Should Not Be Listed as Endangered

Old 09-10-2015, 09:46 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not always or even usually depending on species. Based on years of drought and food a 2 year old Buck can be a spike or have many tines. Here in S Cal a 5 year old Buck can easily be a 2 x 2. I've shot a five point Bull Elk that was 3 years old. It was tagged. In the local Mts there is a spike with horns almost 2 feet long and it grows the same set year after year and it's at least 6 years old. Since it's illegal to shoot it gets to pass that gene on and there are a LOT of spikes that are many years old.
"Trophy" hunters preferentially try to shoot an "alpha" individual -- big, strong, older, attractive …

Of course sometimes a hunter will take whatever passes by … Those who hunt responsibly for meat -- not antlers -- go for the protein ...

Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
"Trophy" hunters preferentially try to shoot an "alpha" individual -- big, strong, older, attractive …

Of course sometimes a hunter will take whatever passes by … Those who hunt responsibly for meat -- not antlers -- go for the protein ...
Why did you think the "trophy" and the meat in the freezer can not be the same animal????

Old 09-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
LOL!!

Your "facts" are hogwash. Managing for "trophy's" is probably the BEST practice going to ensure a healthy, successful herd.

Study up on quality deer management practices here in the US. The practices are similar in Africa, but info. from the US is probably easier to obtain.

QDM is responsible for the best quality deer harvests in the history of the US, and it's happening now.
( … "trophy's" … ???

I think you meant "trophies" …)

But, for sure, managing a deer population to suit the trophy deer hunters will be a question of "best quality deer harvests" rather than anything about favoring a natural population …

I rest my case ...

Old 09-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why did you think the "trophy" and the meat in the freezer can not be the same animal????
The dentist guy assuredly does not have a freezer full of lion meat, does he … ???

Old 09-10-2015, 09:52 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:

Ya, I suppose but out of the hundreds of hunters I either personally know or have had the acquaintance only two are openly claiming to be a trophy hunter. By design most tags are for the older males of the species.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
( … "trophy's" … ???

I think you meant "trophies" …)

But, for sure, managing a deer population to suit the trophy deer hunters will be a question of "best quality deer harvests" rather than anything about favoring a natural population …

I rest my case ...
But, the hunter does not chose........what they kill is determined by the state.

It is the state that does not want the smaller bucks harvested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events