Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 03:48 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yeah …
As if the human species in Africa was near extinction before the Great White Hunters came from far away on safari to "control" and "manage" the large predators …

uh huh
I think you mean extirpation since we are not a separate species.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:50 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You said:

"Listen I understand (kind of) the outrage about this lion but big game hunting is nothing new. Many rich people have engaged in such activities for centuries. I really don't think this makes someone a psychopath. IMO, its not much difference between your run of the mill deer hunter and vegans. Vegans think hunters are terrible, awful people. Are they? Its all lies in our own perception."

There's a difference between a garden variety deer hunter and Dr. Palmer. I'm actually vegetarian (almost vegan) and have no problem with people who hunt for food. I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to, but at the same time, it's incredibly humane compared to factory farming in the US. So to the extent a deer hunter is actually hunting for food, have no problem with it.

What Dr. Palmer is doing, however, is not that. 55,000, right? Or something like that? Think of what that money could be used for. Someone's college education, for example. Instead, he used it to purchase the right to stalk, hunt, and kill an animal for the thrill of it. Not because he needed the meat. Not because it was a danger. Because it's an addiction for him, and it makes him feel good. Do you understand the difference here?
That is simply a matter of opinion. I know several vegetarians and one super strict vegan who think hunters are just as bad as Dr. Palmer. Like I said, perspective.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Furthermore … One magnificent lion killed needlessly yields one mounted trophy …

A photo safari, OTOH, could have resulted in a HUNDRED gorgeous photos of "Cecil" without any harm to one hair on his mane …

*sigh*
We don't really need to hunt for food anymore. Its really quite needless for most everyone.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
"Nature" doesn't exist to fulfill our fantasies, does She … ???

"Open wide … Breathe through your nose … "

(My all time top favorite "Dentist" character is the one played by Steve Martin in "Little Shop of Horrors" …)
Aren't humans a part of nature?

Old 09-09-2015, 03:54 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I never said nor suggested such a thing. But the threat of lion attacks is quite real, your reductio ad absurdum notwithstanding.

If there were regular wolf attacks on people and livestock in your neck of the woods, would you want something to be done about the problem, or would you shrug it off with a "well, we're not close to extinction yet. Just let the wolves eat a few more people"?
Until quite recently, the European invaders of the "New World" went out of their way to kill off any and every animal they regarded as either threatening or a competitor, or both …

Eagles and hawks, coyotes, snakes, 'gators, wolves, bear and mountain lions were mercilessly hunted hunted hunted, poisoned and trapped, often with bounties offered and paid for carcasses or body parts … and of course the American bison was "hunted" nearly to extinction making room for imported beef cattle …

Human beings, as all living things, can reasonably be expected to protect themselves and their offspring when directly threatened or outright attacked … No one here suggests otherwise …

But "Cecil" was simply baited and murdered for *kicks* and for no other reason …

The idea that recreational slaughter is actually good for the natural world is … naive ...

Old 09-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Yep.

Wolves are a huge problem in MT/ID/WY. As you said, the ranchers WILL solve that problem. They are doing a good job as we speak.

The weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth from the bunny huggers that pushed for wolf re-introduction is epic.
There are provisions in the laws for protecting humans and livestock from predators and for compensating farmers for their losses …

Properly so ...

Old 09-09-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think you mean extirpation since we are not a separate species.
Nice try at avoiding my point about the idea of The Great White Hunters selflessly traveling to far away Africa and just in the nick of time to save helpless African humans from Lions and Leopards and such …

But again … "Cecil" was not killing and eating humans or their cattle, was he … ???

Old 09-09-2015, 04:15 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Until quite recently, the European invaders of the "New World" went out of their way to kill off any and every animal they regarded as either threatening or a competitor, or both …

Eagles and hawks, coyotes, snakes, 'gators, wolves, bear and mountain lions were mercilessly hunted hunted hunted, poisoned and trapped, often with bounties offered and paid for carcasses or body parts … and of course the American bison was "hunted" nearly to extinction making room for imported beef cattle …

Human beings, as all living things, can reasonably be expected to protect themselves and their offspring when directly threatened or outright attacked … No one here suggests otherwise …

But "Cecil" was simply baited and murdered for *kicks* and for no other reason …

The idea that recreational slaughter is actually good for the natural world is … naive ...
We are talking about controlled, managed hunting. Not recreational slaughter. But go ahead with your fallacious arguments, if it makes you feel better.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:19 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Nice try at avoiding my point about the idea of The Great White Hunters selflessly traveling to far away Africa and just in the nick of time to save helpless African humans from Lions and Leopards and such …

But again … "Cecil" was not killing and eating humans or their cattle, was he … ???
And now you double down on your fallacious argument. . .

Old 09-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
We are talking about controlled, managed hunting. Not recreational slaughter. But go ahead with your fallacious arguments, if it makes you feel better.
Again, I favor licensed managed responsible hunting …

Which part of that do you not get … ???

I am against *slob* hunting, which IMHO includes "trophy" hunting ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events