Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 10:14 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I said I wouldn't respond anymore but, I have to say that I don't understand why dd isn't making $50-100k a year and she works plenty. They aren't allowed any overtime except in the strictest of circumstances. Some of the more specialized RN's may be making that much but not an ordinary floor nurse.
I don't understand why did isn't making 50-100K per year either considering the average salary for a registered nurse was 66K in 2013. Maybe dd needs to find a new job or negotiate better considering....

"The BLS reports the median salary for a registered nurse was $66,220 in 2013. The best-paid 10 percent of RNs made more than $96,320, while the bottom 10 percent earned less than $45,630. The highest-paid RN positions are clustered in California, including the metropolitan areas of San Francisco, San Jose and Vallejo."

Registered Nurse Salary Information | Best Jobs | US News Careers

This is pretty good pay considering you can enter the nursing field with a 2 year degree from a community college.

Speaking from personal experience, I work with a lot of nurses. Nearly all of the nurses I work with earn 70-90K per year. And these are not ICU nurses but your floor and ER nurses. The ones who earn 90K or more choose to work a bonus 4th shift and will usually work nights (nights pay more). There are plenty of bonus shifts as many nurses do not want to work more than three 12 hour shifts per week. And most prefer to work day shifts for obvious reasons but there were always night shift opportunities available and some day shift nurses would pick up a few nights a month to earn more money. In fact, some of the hospitals were forcing nurses to work 4 shifts to accommodate the patient volume and many of the nurses were upset with that despite being paid more. There is a huge demand for nurses right now as hospitals can barely keep up with patient volume.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-20-2015 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:24 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Two sponsors drop 'The View' for hosts' lame nurse jokes | Fox News

As the mother of an RN who does yeoman work in the ER, I wish more sponsers would pull out. The View is so irrelevant and definitely ignorant.

I'd consider the source and on that basis disregard. I never watch the View anyway. Lots of nurses in my family, including my daughter, mother( long retired), aunts and cousins.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are nurses over the whole spectrum of dedication and service.

THAT is certainly true.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:32 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,608 times
To azriverfan, and any other physicians reading this: yes, many nurses can be bullies. I shouldn't be surprised that they take their anger out at new doctors, because they are vulnerable, and that's the usual target for a bully.

Unfortunately, new nurses take the brunt of the anger from these bullies. Nurses are infamous within the profession for "eating their own." In my opinion, the anger is borne out of frustration and a feeling of powerlessness...not that there is ever a good excuse for bullying others.

It's a symptom of big problems within the profession. Just about every new nurse experiences bullying and passive-agressive behavior from co-workers. This can make it very difficult to work as team. The patient doesn't get the quality care they deserve, as a result.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I
I would like to see azriverfan provide quality care and compassion after 12 hours on the job with no time off to eat or go to the bathroom, they were so swamped. And, it happens shift after shift, because the hospital staffing is so bad. Plus the deadbeats that use the ER for colds and drug stabbings or big mama's that waddle in, demand a sandwich because they haven't eaten and then proceed to crap all over the bed. The CNA's don't or can't do the clean up.....

My last post on this thread.
I
I work more than 12 hour shifts and I definitely work more than 3 days per week. I work between 5-7 days per week depending upon my call schedule. And I'm an old man who is doing this well past residency. When I was a resident and fellow, I was working closer to 100 hours per week. I would never even think of providing less quality care and less compassion because of my work hours. That was never an excuse in my mind. I'm sorry that you feel that it is one.

I still think earning $66,000 per year on average working 3 days per week with only a 2 year degree is pretty fair. No one is saying there are not unpleasant elements with nursing or that they don't work incredibly hard during their shifts, but they are well compensated and have pretty good work hours. I know many Americans would love to have a job where they could work only three days per week for $66,000 per year.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-20-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think they overreacted. Behar's comment seemed to come from ignorance as opposed to being offensive. If you don't work and are not exposed to the medical industry, you would not know that nurses use stethoscopes on a routine basis. I agree with Collin's comment. To use her "career" as part of the talent competition seems like a cop out. Could a person appear in their suit and discuss their accounting skills? What about lawyers? Are they no less talented? What if a teacher walked up with her book and ruler and discussed her talents? Where do you draw the line with that? The talent competition should include an activity in which someone can display their talent on stage. That is common sense.
Nurses use stethoscopes if they are taking vital signs, doing physical exams, listening for breath sounds. I didn't see either the View program (I never watch that program), or the Miss America program ( never watch pageants either), but if this Miss America was wearing a stethoscope as a prop during her talent speech, IMO that's just dumb. Like the nurses who sign RN in their signatures even for personal, non-medically related stuff.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They remind me of a bunch of clucking chickens.
Members in good standing of the Church of the Perpetually Offended.

From what I am reading this whole thing is dumb.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This was back in 92-93
Do you think she has changed her mind?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:52 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would like to see you get up at 5 AM and go to the cath lab and then spend a full day in the clinic from 9-5 and then come back to the hospital to see consults and do more caths and then go to bed at night only to be woken up 2 hours later and return to the ED because a patient was crashing in their mid 50's. That's what I do now. I'm a cardiologist. I work more than 12 hour shifts and I definitely work more than 3 days per week. I work between 5-7 days per week depending upon my call schedule. And I'm an old man who is doing this well past residency. When I was a resident and fellow, I was working closer to 100 hours per week. I did that for nearly 6 years. I would never even think of providing less quality care and less compassion because of my work hours. That was never an excuse in mind. I'm sorry that you feel that it is one.

There are days that I've nearly passed out because I've forgotten that I had not eaten. I will usually have someone grab me a soda just so I don't pass out during a cath.

I still think earning $66,000 per year on average working 3 days per week with only a 2 year degree is pretty fair. No one is saying there are not unpleasant elements with nursing or that they don't work incredibly hard during their shifts, but they are well compensated and have pretty good work hours. I know many Americans would love to have a job where they could work only three days per week for $66,000 per year.
PLEASE don't try to do that cath if you feel like you are about to pass out! Please sit down, have a pop and a sandwich. Eat some rice pudding, it's not bad today at the cafeteria. Take a break. Now calm down, this isn't good for your health.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Nurses use stethoscopes if they are taking vital signs, doing physical exams, listening for breath sounds. I didn't see either the View program (I never watch that program), or the Miss America program ( never watch pageants either), but if this Miss America was wearing a stethoscope as a prop during her talent speech, IMO that's just dumb. Like the nurses who sign RN in their signatures even for personal, non-medically related stuff.
I've learned never to judge people who are not in the medical field. What may seem intuitive to someone like myself may not be intuitive to someone not in the field. I learned that a long time ago. I once asked a patient to demonstrate how to use an albuterol inhaler, and they sprayed it on themselves like it was deodorant and they were being serious. I've seen more than one patient do that actually. You would be surprised at how seemingly ignorant people not in the medical field can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events