Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:29 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times

Advertisements

How long before the gay activitists sue the TSA for using an x-ray machines that discriminate against transgenders? They'll demand that the machines are gender neutral in order to accept everybody equally. (Barf!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If a passenger's ID says female, and something "suspicious" in the crotch area shows up in the body scan, how is simply rescanning this person as a man a safe procedure? Any woman could hide something penis-shaped down there, say "Scan me as a man because I'm transgendered," and walk right onto the plane with the penis-shaped contraband (bomb or whatever else the person wanted to smuggle).

A physical inspection would be the only way to truly know what the penis-shaped thing was.
I honestly thought about this, too.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:20 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I think [the majority of] people realize that transgender people are real. It's quite obvious that they are. (Personally, I think transgender people's feelings are valid. It's just that their feelings don't match reality--it's a mental problem.)

The problems arise when transgender people don't see the reality of their situation--and when other people support their false reality. Their situation is that they are biologically a certain gender, and that biology comes with certain rules (TSA, restrooms, etc).

There will be fewer problems if transgender people are given proper mental health support, so that they can truly deal with their reality. Pretending that this psychosis is normal isn't helping anyone.
DSM Revision and sexual identity: Gender identity disorder replaced by gender dysphoria.

The mismatch between physical gender and mental gender is not a psychosis. From the point of view of the psychiatrist, it will no longer be referred to as gender identity disorder; it is now gender dysphoria.

"Approval of this revision has been years in the making and reflects a narrowing of psychiatrists’ focus to those who experience personal distress over their gender incongruity. Those patients who feel like they need psychological help dealing with their feelings can still seek it out, while those who feel fine need not be marked as ill."

The reality is that transgendered people exist. It should not be so difficult to make accommodations for them. As far as public restrooms are concerned, if stalls are available, a male to female transgendered person using one in a women's restroom would not be threatening to me personally. It's not as if she is there to watch what I am doing in the stall next to her.

To those who would say that allowing transgender persons to use the women's restroom would mean any male could then dress like a woman in order to use the women's room for nefarious purposes, nothing prevents such men from doing so now.

It appears that the TSA does have policies in place for screening transgender persons. The problem appears to be implementing them in a tactful, considerate, and expeditious fashion. Agents should know what to do and be able to do it quickly without embarrassing folks or making people miss their flights while the agents dither around in a fog.

http://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions

"Transgender persons should use the name and gender that appears on their government-issued ID when making flight reservations and at the security checkpoint. You may ask that carry-on bags be screened in private if a bag must be opened by a TSA officer to resolve an alarm. Screening can be conducted in a private screening area with a witness or companion. You may request private screening or to speak with a supervisor at any time during the screening process."

The transgender person needs to be aware of the procedure and be prepared to deal with it. That means allowing extra time for screening in order to not miss a flight.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:24 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
This whole situation points out the absurdity of attempting to redefine "men" and "women." For airport security purposes, body scanners (which of course function on the presumption that a man has a penis and a woman does not, and vice versa for breasts), do not care about being politically correct. They function in the reality of what constitutes a man and what constitutes a woman, and are not swayed by anyone's attempt to redefine the genders.

When people have anomalies detected by the scanner (that is, anything atypical compared to the vast majority), they receive extra inspection by TSA. It could be metal pins inside the body from a medical procedure, a colostomy bag, a prosthetic limb, or a penis on someone whose ID states female.

No need to make a big stink about it.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:29 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
DSM Revision and sexual identity: Gender identity disorder replaced by gender dysphoria.

The mismatch between physical gender and mental gender is not a psychosis. From the point of view of the psychiatrist, it will no longer be referred to as gender identity disorder; it is now gender dysphoria.

"Approval of this revision has been years in the making and reflects a narrowing of psychiatrists’ focus to those who experience personal distress over their gender incongruity. Those patients who feel like they need psychological help dealing with their feelings can still seek it out, while those who feel fine need not be marked as ill."

The reality is that transgendered people exist. It should not be so difficult to make accommodations for them. As far as public restrooms are concerned, if stalls are available, a male to female transgendered person using one in a women's restroom would not be threatening to me personally. It's not as if she is there to watch what I am doing in the stall next to her.

To those who would say that allowing transgender persons to use the women's restroom would mean any male could then dress like a woman in order to use the women's room for nefarious purposes, nothing prevents such men from doing so now.

It appears that the TSA does have policies in place for screening transgender persons. The problem appears to be implementing them in a tactful, considerate, and expeditious fashion. Agents should know what to do and be able to do it quickly without embarrassing folks or making people miss their flights while the agents dither around in a fog.

http://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions

"Transgender persons should use the name and gender that appears on their government-issued ID when making flight reservations and at the security checkpoint. You may ask that carry-on bags be screened in private if a bag must be opened by a TSA officer to resolve an alarm. Screening can be conducted in a private screening area with a witness or companion. You may request private screening or to speak with a supervisor at any time during the screening process."

The transgender person needs to be aware of the procedure and be prepared to deal with it. That means allowing extra time for screening in order to not miss a flight.
Problem is once you request that "private" screening it screams out something is wrong or at least different. That goes double when you start requesting a "friend", lady-in-waiting or whatever to accompany you as a witness.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Problem is once you request that "private" screening it screams out something is wrong or at least different. That goes double when you start requesting a "friend", lady-in-waiting or whatever to accompany you as a witness.
What exactly is the "problem" with a private screening "screaming out that something is wrong or at least different"? That total strangers behind you in line will wonder what your situation is? Big deal.

Lots of people, (including myself) get pat downs. I've been pulled out of line for various reasons. My carry-on has been opened and inspected. No big deal. No problem. It's all part of traveling by plane these days.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:17 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The "something" that is different could be an ostomy bag, an insulin pump, or just the desire to not be scanned. It's no one's business what the "something" is except the passenger involved and the TSA.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:08 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I guess they need a sign now at all airports...

People with penises stand in this line.^
People who used to have a penis, who are now without, stand in this line. ^
People with vaginas and exterior female parts, stand in this line.^
People who don't know what line to stand in, move to the side until you figure it out.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly!!! I always find it amazing what some people believe. Even if a man has his penis removed he is not a female, he is simply a man without a penis. The science is still the same.
Strange science even the "science ONLY people" can't explain this one!

Sucks to follow guidelines, yet we all have to do it. I think it's just getting old for people to make dramatic changes in their lives and expect everyone else to understand. They act like rules don't apply to them.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Strange science even the "science ONLY people" can't explain this one!

Sucks to follow guidelines, yet we all have to do it. I think it's just getting old for people to make dramatic changes in their lives and expect everyone else to understand. They act like rules don't apply to them.
Yes, far be it for everyone else to understand. Yet it goes way beyond that now doesn't it? It would be one thing to not get what you've never had to experience.

It's another thing entirely to call people freaks and spit the worst kind of vitriol toward them.

I don't know why people feel the need to take what someone else is going through so damn personally.

Being transgender is not a mental illness nor a character defect. It doesn't hurt you unless you choose to let it. Being treated with dignity and respect as a human being is not a lot to ask for. The TSA is paid for by transgender persons with the same USD you all use. The TSA aren't exactly renowned for their tact and diplomacy, so if someone has a complaint it's their prerogative to make it, as it would be yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events