Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 11:56 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Nope, I haven't googled TSA naughty bits. Maybe it hasn't happened yet, but I don't doubt that someone could create a realistic penis-shaped contraband smuggling device that would fool the body scanner.
The body scanners had to be retrofitted to stop accommodating memory cards because TSA employees were saving the scan pics and posting them online. Newer models don't allow TSA employees access to stored scans.

Quote:
TSA judicious and infallible? Nope, no one is claiming that. All the more reason to oppose them becoming more lenient about anything that is unexpected.
If they had proper cause to hold her then why did they have to lie about finding bomb particulates on her and the hands of the TSA agent that patted her down? No one is asking for leniency. We're asking for equal treatment. They had no cause to detain her so they made one up. And once the police were involved suddenly the TSA was very willing to let her right through security. If she were such a security risk why did they let her bypass security to get on the new flight just because a cop was there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I always hear this "They're trying to change the definition of _____" argument over things like gay marriage, trans rights, etc, but no one ever says why that's such an outrage.
Who cares if the "definition" of marriage changes to include gay couples? Who cares if someone who feels like the opposite sex of what they were born as gets referred to as the gender of their choosing? How does it effect you? What does it cost you to not care? What will happen if we accommodate the LGBT community in the same way we accommodate the straight community? Will the world end? Will America sink into the ocean? Will your marriage collapse because gays can marry now? Will your genitals invert because a trans woman is allowed into a ladies' restroom?
You've thrown all kinds of things into your post that I did not say. I didn't mention the definition of marriage. I didn't say my marriage would collapse because gays can marry. I didn't say the world would end. You seem to have assumed that I am opposed to gay marriage. Why would you assume that? You are judging me.

I merely do not wish "woman" to mean something different than it always has. On the one hand, I am being told (not by you specifically, but by various posters) that there is an entire spectrum of gender, that it is not just male and female. Ok, then why try to put a non-female into the definition of female? Square peg, round hole kind of thing. If there are indeed multiple genders, then we need multiple gender descriptors. Just don't hijack the word female. I find it offensive to do so. A man has not lived my experiences. His body does not have the same health issues. He does not have the ability to bear a child and lactate. His normal values on various blood tests will not be the same as a woman's (lab tests are like body scanners in that they don't care about being PC).

Definitions need standards or they are meaningless. I don't want dog to mean cat, and I don't want female to mean a man who prefers to wear a dress, or wishes he had been able to bear a child, or whatever else he wishes. He is not like me and he does not get to force me to accept him as being the same gender as I am. I have had my own joys and struggles as a woman, and a transgender has had his/her own joys and struggles, but they are not the same.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
I always hear this "They're trying to change the definition of _____" argument over things like gay marriage, trans rights, etc, but no one ever says why that's such an outrage.
Who cares if the "definition" of marriage changes to include gay couples? Who cares if someone who feels like the opposite sex of what they were born as gets referred to as the gender of their choosing? How does it effect you? What does it cost you to not care? What will happen if we accommodate the LGBT community in the same way we accommodate the straight community? Will the world end? Will America sink into the ocean? Will your marriage collapse because gays can marry now? Will your genitals invert because a trans woman is allowed into a ladies' restroom?
Exactly. I don't understand why people take it so personally. Don't get me wrong, I don't like these issues being shoved down my throat either (because sometimes I feel like they are, and I'm not exactly on board with the whole "don't use pronouns 'he' and 'she' to not offend anyone" - that's taking it too far IMO with the PC sh*t), but the majority of gay and trans people just try to live their lives as normal as possible. One of my best friends from college is gay. She wants to marry her girlfriend in the future. Who am I to get all mad and huff and stomp my foot and say she can't? She's happy. She's genuine. I want to see her happy. She's my friend. I don't care that she's gay and wants to marry another woman. She's my friend and it STILL doesn't affect my life one bit.

This friend of mine was insulted by, actually, one of my family members at a party once. He used a gay slur (f@ggot) to refer to another person he was talking about, someone who's not gay but someone he does not like. He was saying this right in front of my friend. He apologized, and she said, "It's really fine. I'm used to it. I hear gay slurs directed at me all the time. I walk down the street holding my girlfriend's hand and people yell out their car window, "F@ggots!" I'm used to it." Why do people have to do this? Why do people have to yell that at her while she's minding her own business? Why does this affect those people's lives, and how exactly? It's just pathetic.

I could not care less if someone is gay or trans. It doesn't affect me. It's as simple as that. The anti-gay and anti-trans bias on CD is unreal at times.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You've thrown all kinds of things into your post that I did not say. I didn't mention the definition of marriage. I didn't say my marriage would collapse because gays can marry. I didn't say the world would end. You seem to have assumed that I am opposed to gay marriage. Why would you assume that? You are judging me.

I merely do not wish "woman" to mean something different than it always has. On the one hand, I am being told (not by you specifically, but by various posters) that there is an entire spectrum of gender, that it is not just male and female. Ok, then why try to put a non-female into the definition of female? Square peg, round hole kind of thing. If there are indeed multiple genders, then we need multiple gender descriptors. Just don't hijack the word female. I find it offensive to do so. A man has not lived my experiences. His body does not have the same health issues. He does not have the ability to bear a child and lactate. His normal values on various blood tests will not be the same as a woman's (lab tests are like body scanners in that they don't care about being PC).

Definitions need standards or they are meaningless. I don't want dog to mean cat, and I don't want female to mean a man who prefers to wear a dress, or wishes he had been able to bear a child, or whatever else he wishes. He is not like me and he does not get to force me to accept him as being the same gender as I am. I have had my own joys and struggles as a woman, and a transgender has had his/her own joys and struggles, but they are not the same.
I find this valid. I understand where you're coming from. There's a difference between what you're saying and what anti-stuff others are saying.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The body scanners had to be retrofitted to stop accommodating memory cards because TSA employees were saving the scan pics and posting them online. Newer models don't allow TSA employees access to stored scans.

If they had proper cause to hold her then why did they have to lie about finding bomb particulates on her and the hands of the TSA agent that patted her down? No one is asking for leniency. We're asking for equal treatment. They had no cause to detain her so they made one up. And once the police were involved suddenly the TSA was very willing to let her right through security. If she were such a security risk why did they let her bypass security to get on the new flight just because a cop was there?
Those are all valid questions, and I certainly do not know the answers. I couldn't find much online about the alleged bomb particulates. Don't know why they let Petoskey through after cops showed up. If there was still any uncertainty about what the scanner had detected, I don't think they should have let the person through yet.

You say you want equal treatment, and I agree. Any anomaly (be it prosthesis, ostomy bag, or unexpected shape in the crotch area) should be investigated. I frequently have to undergo additional investigation for a liquid prescription medicine that I have to carry. I can't expect to simply say, "Well my condition makes me special, and you just have to take my word that the large bottle of liquid you see on the scanner is my prescription. If you don't, I'm going to tweet to the world how my rights were violated, and that you are anti-<insert my medical condition>, and now you've made me miss my flight, and....."

Old 09-23-2015, 12:49 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:

Oh for goodness' sake. You are not like a lot of people within your your own gender. There are plenty of women who can't bear children, who have hysterectomies at a young age and don't menstruate, for example. Are they no longer female to you?

Who gives a rat's arse what someone ELSES lab tests say? Someone being transgender does not in any way remove your womanhood from you. And you didn't choose to be female any more than someone chose to be transgender, so I'm not sure what gives you the wherewithall to be so possessive of the concept that you have to deny somebody else their drive to live it, if that's what they truly are.

It's not like you saved up your whole life to buy femaleness at the store and when you finally walked out the door with it some bloke ran up to you and snatched it out of your hands, taking it for their own, and you were left without.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Those are all valid questions, and I certainly do not know the answers. I couldn't find much online about the alleged bomb particulates. Don't know why they let Petoskey through after cops showed up. If there was still any uncertainty about what the scanner had detected, I don't think they should have let the person through yet.

You say you want equal treatment, and I agree. Any anomaly (be it prosthesis, ostomy bag, or unexpected shape in the crotch area) should be investigated. I frequently have to undergo additional investigation for a liquid prescription medicine that I have to carry. I can't expect to simply say, "Well my condition makes me special, and you just have to take my word that the large bottle of liquid you see on the scanner is my prescription. If you don't, I'm going to tweet to the world how my rights were violated, and that you are anti-<insert my medical condition>, and now you've made me miss my flight, and....."
Right. I think this woman has to understand that, yes, she is different. She does not fit into the mainstream definition of "normal" since she is a woman with a penis. When questioned, because of an un-PC X-ray machine, she needs to understand that. My friend's dad has metal in his leg from surgery and always sets off the metal detectors at the airport, and is always questioned about it, but he doesn't care. He knows that's a price he pays for having metal in his leg. Is it a pain? Sure. But wouldn't you rather the TSA check to ensure the safety of everyone else? Once they let their guard down or give into PC-ness is the second the terrorists will catch on and start putting bombs in women's crotches and telling them to claim they're trans to get a free pass and blow that plane up as planned.

Ideally, this should be learning experience for trans people. You don't get special treatment. You have to adjust to your difference just like we do in situations like this.

As I stated earlier, the only case I could see her making was if the TSA agent had laughed at her and openly made fun of her, either alone or in front of other passengers. But it seems he did not.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:04 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I feel bad for transgenders honestly I can't imagine... It's strange to me for sure-but the very depths they go into to become another gender and the treatment they face and the confusion they feel-I really just cannot imagine and I do pity them.

They have a serious mental problem.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh for goodness' sake. You are not like a lot of people within your your own gender. There are plenty of women who can't bear children, who have hysterectomies at a young age and don't menstruate, for example. Are they no longer female to you?

Who gives a rat's arse what someone ELSES lab tests say? Someone being transgender does not in any way remove your womanhood from you. And you didn't choose to be female any more than someone chose to be transgender, so I'm not sure what gives you the wherewithall to be so possessive of the concept that you have to deny somebody else their drive to live it, if that's what they truly are.

It's not like you saved up your whole life to buy femaleness at the store and when you finally walked out the door with it some bloke ran up to you and snatched it out of your hands, taking it for their own, and you were left without.
I never said that EVERY woman bears children or menstruates, and you know it, so stop throwing those kind of statements out there.

The fact that you keep referring to some people as transgender tells us that "transgender" is something different than "woman." And that was my point. There are males, females, and others who are not accurately described as either one of those. So don't try to fit every geometric shape into only square or round holes. And certainly don't try to change the definition of square and round! There is room in this world for all kinds of geometric shapes, and all kinds of people, but there has always been a standard definition, biologically of female, and if you think I am possessive to wish to keep the old definition, then label me one possessive b*tch.

If I decide that I "feel" black, and I want everyone to call me that and to accept me as being every bit as black as Harriett Tubman, Martin Luther King, or Stevie Wonder....well, I bet a lot of blacks would take offense to that. And they sure as he11 wouldn't be happy to change the definition of black just to accommodate me.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:26 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
Quote:
I didn't say you always make that argument, I said I always hear it. Anything that makes people uncomfortable is an affront to society. Both "sides" do it but the anti-equality side tends to make it about preserving the stability of our society by adhering to Merriam-Webster's strict rules.

Quote:
I can't speak to a wide spectrum of genders(it's always come across as nonsense to me) but I know that this trans person identifies as a trans woman.
And again, what does it cost you? Not all women have the same experience, so do you get to judge just how much of a woman every single one of them is? Do blood tests make the final determining factor? If that's the case then there are a lot of people with hormonal disorders that wouldn't qualify as any gender.

Quote:
What is the cost? So a tiny minority of people get called by the gender they feel they are instead of the gender that matches the genitals they were born with. So what? What impact does it have? What are the dangers? Why is what you want more important than what they want? What you want causes emotional damage to people who just want to feel normal. What they want costs you nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events