Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 07:39 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
This is not at all like segregation. Segregation based on race was reprehensible. But that has NOTHING to do with the biological fact that a man cannot become a woman. Yet you think by crying "bigot" and being sarcastic and rude, you can somehow bully people into accepting that falsehood. You simply cannot change biological facts. Again, it is ridiculous that we are even having this discussion. You might as well be trying to convince the world that 3+3=7. IT DOESN'T. Unless you want to completely throw out the definition of numbers or plus signs.
Okay. So a man cannot become a woman. You won't accept anything else. You've made that statement. Now what would you propose the transgender person do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Okay. So a man cannot become a woman. You won't accept anything else.
Facts are such pesky thing, aren't they? And sometimes they get in the way of feelings.

Quote:
Now what would you propose the transgender person do?
1) Get with the program and submit to screening through appropriate means just as the rest of us must do.
2) Select one of the options offered to get through screening just as the rest of us must do.
3) Take a bus.
4) Drive.
5) Stay at home.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
wtf is "gender identity"?

you either got a schlong or not...
Having a schlong does not always mean you're exclusively male. There are people that carry both the xx chromosome and the xy chromosome, and who are born with both testes and ovaries.

Why is it so hard to grasp that primary sexual characteristics are not as black and white for some as they are for most? If it's possible to carry both sets of chromosomes then it is not a stretch to consider a biological basis for gender confusion.

And given that, why is it acceptable for society to be so vile toward those who struggle as a result of this very complex biological issue?

It looks a bit silly to stamp one's foot over and over saying a man cannot become a woman when there are documented cases of people born with characteristics of both sexes.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Facts are such pesky thing, aren't they? And sometimes they get in the way of feelings.

1) Get with the program and submit to screening through appropriate means just as the rest of us must do.
2) Select one of the options offered to get through screening just as the rest of us must do.
3) Take a bus.
4) Drive.
5) Stay at home.
Yes, facts are a pesky thing. See my post above

Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Nope I understand, what I take is that you don't understand that every group doesn't have the same experiences. You see similarities yet you are not black or transgender. lol... As if what you see holds any merit to actual experience being in either group and having the experiences faced by those within the group.

I can see that with you it's like going in circles because you refuse to understand that every minority group has different plights.

It always baffles me when people try to tell someone what it's like when they are not the group being talked about.

The only thing me and you will agree on is that all individuals in this country should be treated with respect and as human beings.
You're assuming a lot about me. All I said is I see similarities in their experiences. I really do not want this thread to be hijacked...

Old 09-24-2015, 08:48 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
There are people that carry both the xx chromosome and the xy chromosome, and who are born with both testes and ovaries.
You can't have both an "xx" and an "xy." You can have an "x" and another "x," or an "x" and a "y." (Or, in rare cases, just an x, or a xxy combo.)

The same two primitive structures that become ovaries in an "xx" fetus become the testes in an "xy" fetus. You can't have two of each, any more than you can have four hands or four kidneys. It IS possible to have an abnormal structure that contains both ovarian and testicular tissue. But there are no more than two of those (and they are typically nonfunctional).

Having an abnormal congenital condition is NOT the same as being, say, a genetically typical XY male who has actually fathered children, and then decides that he's really a woman.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Reading through these leaves one thinking; did every American skip biology class altogether?

What of the legitimate and unfortunate soul born with both a schlong and a honey pot?

I guess you numbnutz fly from completely different airports than I do because you sure do NOT have the ability to "quietly" discuss your gender with the grade 8 drop-out manning any of the security apparatus at any airport.

Compassion only relates to those who fit into one of your convenient and traditionally ignorant pigeonholes.

It comes to mind that it's probably a good thing Americans do not have to declare the relationship of your parents. Legality notwithstanding, the whispering of one half of the planeload directed at the other half for having been born of incestual relationships between brothers and sisters might drown out the full power whine of the Rolls Royces.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You can't have both an "xx" and an "xy." You can have an "x" and another "x," or an "x" and a "y." (Or, in rare cases, just an x, or a xxy combo.)

The same two primitive structures that become ovaries in an "xx" fetus become the testes in an "xy" fetus. You can't have two of each, any more than you can have four hands or four kidneys. It IS possible to have an abnormal structure that contains both ovarian and testicular tissue. But there are no more than two of those (and they are typically nonfunctional).

Having an abnormal congenital condition is NOT the same as being, say, a genetically typical XY male who has actually fathered children, and then decides that he's really a woman.
Yes, you can.

Quote:
I recently read about a case where a person had both a pair of X chromosomes and an X and a Y chromosome. How does that happen?

-A curious adult from California

November 12, 2009

What you're probably talking about are people who have two sets of cells in their body. One set has an X and a Y chromosome. These cells are male. The second set of cells has two X chromosomes and so is female.

Whether this has any effect on a person depends on the percentage of each kind of cell the person has. If he has mostly XY cells, then he might not even know about his XX cells. Same thing if she has mostly XX cells.

There can definitely be issues with someone who has a more even split of XX and XY cells. These folks are often true hermaphrodites -- they have both male and female qualities.
Understanding Genetics

Old 09-24-2015, 09:37 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Yes, you can.
A person can have mosaicism, which I think is what your quote referred to. It is a genetic disorder in which cells have inconsistent chromosomes and the genitalia may have varying degrees of abnormality.

But by saying a person can't be both "xx" and "xy," I meant that a person can't have two normal ovaries and two normal testes and a functioning penis and a functioning uterus. It's not possible to be BOTH male and female in that sense. Just cut off the testes and penis and you have a biological normal woman. Not possible.

Of course it's important to be sensitive towards those who have a true disorder. It's another thing to be a biologically and physically normal male, and yet stand in front of others and state you are female. There's a degree of self-deception to that which is mind-boggling.

Last edited by saibot; 09-24-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
A person can have mosaicism, which I think is what your quote referred to. It is a genetic disorder in which cells have inconsistent chromosomes and the genitalia may have varying degrees of abnormality.

But by saying a person can't be both "xx" and "xy," I meant that a person can't have two normal ovaries and two normal testes and a functioning penis and a functioning uterus. It's not possible to be BOTH male and female in that sense. Just cut off the testes and penis and you have a biological normal woman. Not possible.

Of course it's important to be sensitive towards those who have a true disorder. It's another thing to be a biologically and physically normal male, and yet stand in front of others and state you are female. There's a degree of self-deception to that which is mind-boggling.
Is there? How to you know a transgender female is completely biologically and physically a male? Given the complexity of sexual development, it's quite likely they aren't.

It IS possible to be both male and female. I did not claim there are people walking around with two completely functioning sets of male and female sex organs. But people can and do have both sets of chromosomes in cells to varying ratios.

I always hear "if you have a penis you're a man, end of story." Or, if you have a Y chromosome you're a man, end of story." Well no, it's not.

This doesn't even take into account the hormonal and genetic variables necessary to delineate sexual development in a fetus and beyond.

Quote:
For now, though, we'll focus on cases where people have both XX and XY cells. There are a couple of ways this can happen.

In the first way, an XX twin and an XY twin fuse very early on in development. The end result is a person with both sets of cells. This is called chimerism.

In the second way, a fetus starts out with an extra X chromosome. Early in development, something happens when the egg divides so that each new cell gets an uneven number of chromosomes. As the cells continue to divide, you end up with someone with two sets of chromosomes. This is called mosaicism.
I'm not saying trans people are intersex. What I am saying is there's likely a gene or hormonal variant that we don't fully understand yet. Being convinced you're the opposite gender at three years old when you've not been socialized to a degree that you are as an adult would indicate to me that it is an innate biological trait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events