Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:01 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,947,131 times

Advertisements

I would say the moment that a guys name popped up on the Ashley Madison site would do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:57 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
A guy I know said things kept disappearing from the house and were all stacked up in the garage. Wife told him she was going to have a garage sale and get rid of some stuff. Then he came home one day and found all that was left were his recliner, the tv, a lamp, and a note saying they were getting divorced.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,614,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Some of us would very much prefer to have a lifelong partner, but have zero interest in parenthood. I am one such case. In hindsight, child-free marriages are especially unstable, because they don't FEEL like marriages. They can still work, if both spouses have rewarding careers, through which they derive fulfillment. But if they don't, the marriage is at risk.

Maybe there is hope for humanity, after all?

This is true, but I've seen marriages collapse according to the above-mentioned dynamic, where there were no children, where both spouses worked full-time, where the domestic chores were split between the two partners or were done by hired-help. The marriage collapsed because the wife just didn't feel "married"... it felt more like a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship than a "real family". And if it wasn't a real family, why stay?

That does stand to reason, but exceptions abound. In my case, it was the question of kids. My ex and I were both child-free... while dating, and for years into the marriage. Well, after 8 years of marriage, she decided that she wanted a child, after all. That precipitated divorce. Today she's remarried, with a toddler, and she reports being "happy" as a stay-at-home-mom.
This is not necessarily true. My husband and I are child free and are far from unstable. What you're referring to is someone who originally wanted to be child free but then lo and behold one day the biological clock starts ticking and they change their mind. Which is fine, but clearly it ends up being a dealbreaker if your partner isn't in agreement about it.

Some are fine being child free and it was shown child free couples are actually happier than those with children. Likely because the marriage is about each other and doesn't have as much stress from taking care of children. I'm not taking anything away from parents, it's a hard job to balance a successful marriage and children. These things all boil down to proper communication and knowing yourself enough to be brutally honest about your wants and needs.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:30 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,599,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
When she was standing over me, reloading her .38 … ???

Old 10-16-2015, 06:32 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,956,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
When she was standing over me, reloading her .38 … ???
This is not a good sign......

Old 10-17-2015, 05:25 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,092,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
This is not necessarily true. My husband and I are child free and are far from unstable. What you're referring to is someone who originally wanted to be child free but then lo and behold one day the biological clock starts ticking and they change their mind. Which is fine, but clearly it ends up being a dealbreaker if your partner isn't in agreement about it.

Some are fine being child free and it was shown child free couples are actually happier than those with children. Likely because the marriage is about each other and doesn't have as much stress from taking care of children. I'm not taking anything away from parents, it's a hard job to balance a successful marriage and children. These things all boil down to proper communication and knowing yourself enough to be brutally honest about your wants and needs.

Totally agree here...
No kids
No desire
No trust funds
No minnie vans

Old 10-21-2015, 12:58 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,310,967 times
Marriage is a archaic ritual who's time has come and gone. Marriage was started for 2 main reasons. Taxation. It was easier to track down and collect taxes from two people at a time than to chase down to single people. The second was to limit the spread of sickness and disease. Let this unholy union of two people who have no business being together die it's death and fade into obscurity like so many archaic rituals before it.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:42 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Marriage is a archaic ritual who's time has come and gone. Marriage was started for 2 main reasons. Taxation. It was easier to track down and collect taxes from two people at a time than to chase down to single people. The second was to limit the spread of sickness and disease. Let this unholy union of two people who have no business being together die it's death and fade into obscurity like so many archaic rituals before it.
Sounds like you're bitter about a relationship....still stinging from a divorce?

Old 10-21-2015, 08:23 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,310,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sounds like you're bitter about a relationship....still stinging from a divorce?
I am not bitter at all. I have never been married. I was engaged once but once I regained my sanity I put a stop to that. I am in a long term relationship for nearly ten years with a woman I have known since we were children. We grew up across the street from each other. Our lives went in different directions. She married at a young age and I dated and had a good ol' time. Her marriage was terrible. She got a divorce. The majority of my friends are on second and third marriages. Family members of mine have gone through several divorces. The institution of marriage just doesn't work anymore.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:57 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I am not bitter at all. I have never been married. I was engaged once but once I regained my sanity I put a stop to that. I am in a long term relationship for nearly ten years with a woman I have known since we were children. We grew up across the street from each other. Our lives went in different directions. She married at a young age and I dated and had a good ol' time. Her marriage was terrible. She got a divorce. The majority of my friends are on second and third marriages. Family members of mine have gone through several divorces. The institution of marriage just doesn't work anymore.
Your previous post did sound very bitter.

There are plenty of couples out there who have been married for decades and don't have problems. I'm one of them! And I got married at 21 years old. I never thought of marriage as an institution either. That might be part of the problem those who divorce repeatedly have. That and they don't want to fix something or fight to save something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events