Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 02:02 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Ohio has way more problems and unless each state puts more effort into handleing heroin,crack,meth and the many other drugs they shouldnt allow the legalization of yet another one. How many losers do we really want roaming through our neighborhoods,and driving our city streets anyway. Cant believe how the few who were going to be the growers already were counting the money and what a downer that must have been when it failed at the polls miserably. So sorry Nick Lachey,maybe next time. What people dont get is we may have passed it if it applied to those who were seriously ill or had afflications but when it included all dopers and stoner wannabes you pushed us in the wrong direction. Started to look and sound like the pork barrel that was added to bills to get them passed in congress.

I agree that heroin addiction is becoming a huge problem in Ohio. Yesterday one of the local radio talks shows was hosting a heroin round table to discuss how to handle the growing problem. At any rate, the "whole marijuana is a gateway drug" is BS! What it comes down to is that doctors started handing out pain meds for every ache and pain. Due to the addictive nature of opiates a lot of folks got hooked, and started abusing them. Once they weren't able to continue to get their prescription due to legal means, they turn to the streets, and heroin, which is cheaper. No question is it a vicious cycle.

As for your opposition to legal cannabis, by that logic then we should ban alcohol. I mean, we saw how well that worked. You're right in your assessment about the other substances that you mentioned. Cannabis isn't the problem in Ohio. Never was. There needs to be a better initiative proposed in 2016, other than this POS proposal that was put together, and we need to once and for all end prohibition. Nobody should have their lives ruined for ingesting, or cultivating a plant that was used on this planet for thousands of years until bureaucracy got in the way under the guise of thinking that they know what is good for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Decriminalizing pot just leaves distribution in the hands of organized crime. Only by legalizing and regulating the sales can you keep those sales out of the school yard and restrict them to adults.
So … Should we then "legalize" LSD, PCP, Crystal Meth, "bath salts," crack, heroin, etc., too … ???

Why not … ???

Old 11-11-2015, 03:47 PM

321 posts, read 419,722 times

Old 11-11-2015, 04:22 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Your heart and marijuana Ma'am... your age is against you in this as well

Is Marijuana Bad for Your Heart?

Hidden Risk? Marijuana May Be Bad for Your Heart

CardioBuzz: Is Marijuana Bad for Your Heart? | Medpage Today

Study: Pot Increases Heart Attack Risks - ABC News

Worth the risk? vs the reward... for you perhaps... until you have a heart attack...

Change or damage DNA?
Some think so... want to be the guinea pig...
Marijuana

How about some pictures
http://www.fgcu.edu/wellness/Images/..._The_Risks.pdf

Damages the brain

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.co...al_effects.pdf

You using is not a study.. you are a personal guinea pig.. like a using a parakeet to determine if there is gas in a mine.. by that time its way too late...

You have no idea.. and respectdully no clue.. what long term changes marijuana has already made in your body. The body adapts beautifully.. but .. your personal use isnt scientific by any means.. and if someone didnt grow out of pot as an adult isnt that another sign of classical addiction?
My heart is great, my BP is great, I am exceptionally healthy for my age and get regular check-ups, thanks for your concern though.

You still miss the point, the only part of this we have any control over is whether it's legal or not (people will get it and smoke it regardless, as is clear by now). Since being illegal doesn't keep anyone from getting it including kids, and costs money we don't have, why would you be for it, even if you're against using mj in general?

I just broke my "Don't defend your post directly to NMO" policy

Old 11-11-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
So … Should we then "legalize" LSD, PCP, Crystal Meth, "bath salts," crack, heroin, etc., too … ???

Why not … ???
I think modeling a system after countries that use funds for treatment rather than the justice system would be a great change. It seems stupid to me to arrest addicts, it becomes a revolving door that costs us tons of money and makes cartels rich while use of drugs like heroin is rising everyday and now in the 'burbs as well as the inner city, so simply keep doing what we've been doing doesn't really make much sense, does it?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM

In an update to my post from yesterday which discussed a legislative hearing getting ready to be held in NJ...today I got an e-mail from another political action group called New Jersey Citizen Action. They have joined forces with New Jersey United for Marijuana Reform, which is great news! The more the better. Here is their letter and their reasons for this:

On Monday, November 16, the New Jersey Legislature will hold its first hearing on legalizing, taxing, and regulating marijuana for adults. New Jersey Citizen Action has proudly joined New Jersey United for Marijuana Reform in supporting the legalization and regulation of marijuana, and this hearing is a big step forward on our path to victory.
Why do we support legalization and regulation? Because the societal cost of a criminal justice approach to marijuana regulation is simply too great. Legalization and regulation can benefit New Jersey in the following ways:
  • PUBLIC SAFETY - With more than 21,000 arrests for marijuana possession each year, legalization and regulation will effectively cut the illegal market and focus law enforcement resources to serious crime.
  • PUBLIC HEALTH - Using the criminal justice sytem to deal with marijuana use has failed. It's time to try a public health approach that uses evidence-based programs focused on youth, families, and communities. Enhance capacity to treat, not criminalize, those who use marijuana.
  • PROTECT OUR YOUTH - Take marijuana off our street corners and school hallways and into a controlled, regulated sytem that works for New Jersey. New Jersey law should include tight controls on marketing, child-resistant packaging, and restricting access to retail store to prevent young people from accessing the regulated marketplace.
  • REVENUE FOR NEW JERSEYANS - Taxing adult marijuana sales will provide millions of dollars that can be used for innovative, impactful youth drug prevention efforts.
Whether you stand for civil rights, support public health, want to strengthen public safety, or hope to generate much-needed tax revenue to reinvest in New Jersey communities, it's time to make your voice heard.
New Jersey is on the road to legalization - but we won't get there without you.

For progress,
Phyllis Salowe-Kaye, Executive Director
P.S. To learn more about New Jersey United for Marijuana Reform (NJUMR), visit the website, or follow NJUMR on Facebook and Twitter for more updates.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:10 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think modeling a system after countries that use funds for treatment rather than the justice system would be a great change. It seems stupid to me to arrest addicts, it becomes a revolving door that costs us tons of money and makes cartels rich while use of drugs like heroin is rising everyday and now in the 'burbs as well as the inner city, so simply keep doing what we've been doing doesn't really make much sense, does it?
Yes …

The fact of use and abuse of recreational drugs should be treated as a public health problem, IMHO … (i.e., "decriminalization") … rather than "legalization," with LSD sold over the counter in every corner gas and goods shop … (i.e., "legalization") ...

Old 11-11-2015, 06:15 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,907 times
Marijuana -

The most misunderstood drug IMO. The time and effort expended on the legal side is pathetic from a manpower and economic standpoint.

My wife has a chronic illness (pain related). Thankfully Massachusetts legalized medical marijuana. The product helps her as much, if not more, than pharmaceuticals.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Yes …

The fact of use and abuse of recreational drugs should be treated as a public health problem, IMHO … (i.e., "decriminalization") … rather than "legalization," with LSD sold over the counter in every corner gas and goods shop … (i.e., "legalization") ...
Legalization does not mean the latter, just like you can't get liquor in every corner store...in NJ you can only get it at liquor stores or bars, no supermarkets, etc. It is ridiculous to think it wouldn't be very highly regulated, as it should be (I am not talking about mj however, nor am I actively involved nor care to be in the legalization of other drugs). I actually don't know how the countries who have been successful have done it, that is for policy makers to figure out. My point remains, doing what doesn't work over and over is stupid, it behooves us as a nation to look for alternate ways, if only because under they current policies abuse of opiates is worse than it's ever been in history at a higher fiscal cost than ever in history.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:49 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Yes …

This is such an ignorant statement.

To save myself a long winded response, just educate yourself on Amsterdam and "Smart" Shops.

No drug, ever, regardless of legal status, will be sold at gas stations if handled properly. If you're going to use the "Bath" salts argument, note that it is supposed to be incense, and not for human consumption. Also note it is prohibition that has lead to the rise in the lab based synthetics. Unregulated, lab created monsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events