Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 10:26 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I expect people to live by the rules. If you can't "play with others", you don't belong. Coddling criminals makes law a joke. People need to know there are consequences for breaking the law. It is not fair to those of us that follow the rules, pay our taxes, and don't look for shortcuts.
Who's coddling criminals? And how are they doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
I expect people to live by the rules. If you can't "play with others", you don't belong. Coddling criminals makes law a joke. People need to know there are consequences for breaking the law. It is not fair to those of us that follow the rules, pay our taxes, and don't look for shortcuts.

"Coddling criminals"......so someone that makes a mistake at 18 or 19 should have that hanging over their heads for the rest of their lives, even after they have served their time?

These people don't need special treatment, they need equal treatment and an opportunity to put their life back together. Not every person that goes to jail is a hardcore criminal but a society that doesnt intergrate them is one that certainly can create a lot of hardcore criminals.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I think it's just a difficult issue. Public Safety vs unemployment. If just one newly hired ex con goes baserko and hurts people they work with or the public there's an out cry. But, what do we do with all the well meaning ex cons?
That's on the employer. You should've done a background check & determined if the conviction was job related or not.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I think it's just a difficult issue. Public Safety vs unemployment. If just one newly hired ex con goes baserko and hurts people they work with or the public there's an out cry. But, what do we do with all the well meaning ex cons?

Judge people individually. At least allow someone the opportunity to explain themselves. Nobody is saying you have to hire an axe murderer but someone that did something stupid when they were young shouldnt be prevented from pursuing a better life because of something they did a decade or more ago.

As a society we act as if we should banish anyone who has broken a law to the nether realms. The reality is that when you have no money, no chance at a job, nowhere to live and no future, going back to crime suddenly becomes a more viable option.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That's on the employer. You should've done a background check & determined if the conviction was job related or not.
There's the fear most employers will have. It's going to be my fault if I give the ex con a chance. It's a hard sell for me. I own several small businesses and I don't know if I'd take the chance. Tough one. I have a close related ex con with a degree and I see his side as well.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why are you willing to give them FEDERAL jobs? You act like this is working at a fast food place, why not hire them for fast food worker, start at the bottom like the rest of us!
Special snowflakes don't start on the ground. They fall from above. They deserve Federal jobs. (Heavy sarcasm intended)

This is a way around rules (his specialty) that essentially expunge criminal records of those special snowflakes for whom the President wants to erase hiring barriers. Insinuating it's purpose is to eliminate the handicap for those with truly minor offenses is the smokescreen to yet again fool those who can't see Oz behind the curtain. The result will be unmitigated disaster.

Obama is an expert at weaponizing people.

Last edited by Creek Hollow; 11-03-2015 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Who's coddling criminals? And how are they doing it?
IMO a person with a criminal record should have second-class citizen status. They should be ineligible to apply or hold certain jobs in our society such as in government. They can always start their own company and hire "birds of a feather", but that needs to be disclosed. I don't want a cleaning service staffed with a bunch of former junkies in my home pawing over my possessions when I am not there.

When I was in retail management back in the 1980s, I took a chance on someone with a criminal record. The woman I hired had been convicted of a drug offense. She was hired as a stock person at a Staples store outside of Baltimore. She lasted two shifts before one of her co-workers informed me that she was loading an entire shelf of cordless phones and other business machines into her car. Never again.

It is not cheap to maintain a drug habit. A minimum-wage job will not cover living expenses AND a fix.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I heard a rumor that Obama puts his pants on one leg at a time... HOW DARE HE!!!!! ARRGHH!!!! HE'S THE WORST PRESIDENT EVAR!!!!!
Great comparison to what he's proposing to do here.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:44 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yeah, I don't get the "I paid my debt to society" argument.

Yes, you paid your debt to society. No, that doesn't mean that your criminal records should be forever hidden from public view.
Who said they would be? Employers will still be able to do background checks. This just gives an ex-con a chance to get their foot in the door without having their resume go straight into the trash.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:47 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
That person with a conviction from 30 years ago will have a current list of references from employers and jobs that they have done since then. The 30 year conviction will be irrelevant. What we are talking about is thugs that have no references other than from their parole officer.
No it won't be because they checked the box that they have a criminal history. Boom, they are now removed from the selection pool just because they have a criminal history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events