Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:23 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Just in the last 90 days, there have been multiple incidents involving Asian and black students being called racial slurs to their face just walking on campus.

Is there a lot Wolfe can do about it? No.

But should he completely dismiss it? Absolutely not.

And that's what did him in. You cannot be in the position Wolfe is in and turn a blind eye and deaf ear to your students' concern. And Butler gave him ample amount of time, my guess is Wolfe thought Butler would go away and this would disappear and not turn into this.

The final straw was when the MSA Student President was called the n-word by a group of whites in Greek Town, and the higher-ups completely ignored and dismissed the concerns stemming from that incident. That happened in September, and it literally was if no one cared.

When did you attend?

My last three years, two white students covered the front lawn of the Black Culture Center in cotton balls, students posted and passed out KKK recruitment flyers in the dorms, a student spray painted the n-word on a major statue on campus, etc.
The bolded I can definitely agree with.

I attended 2002-2006. Then went to UCF from 2007-2012, I can tell you there wasn't much of a difference in reference to people using racial slurs at either university. The truth is as much as we want to believe as a society we have moved on from racism, that isn't even close to the truth. I taught the psychology of prejudice and discrimination at UCF and all of your stories happened just as much, if not more given the stories I heard from students in my classroom. It's society, not a specific university.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:24 PM

369 posts, read 374,461 times
If it is true that there has been a lot of anti-black racism on campus and the campus president hasn't taken due diligence to do something about it, then I support the students 100%.

Interesting... some people don't give a dam about black people... but couldn't make a dime without them.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:25 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Quote:
Wow. They don't feel safe because they face forms of racism on campus every day. It's not difficult. And it's not just the black students, it's the Asian students, as well. And it's just not about racism, it's about sexism and rape culture, as well.

There is literally an article of nothing but Asian and black students talking about the racism they face daily, yet once again, people want to blame/criticize/focus on the victims instead of the actual problem.

The rest of your post... "confused:
I am Hispanic. I face bigotry and prejudice every day, day in, day out. When is the last time someone implied you should lose your citizenship because of your last name?

This has never made me feel unsafe. Ever. Nor victimized. If you think this makes you unsafe and a victim, then you have never truly been unsafe. You solve "the problem" by the collective force of individual actions, not by demanding that those who are the problem fix it.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
The bolded I can definitely agree with.

I attended 2002-2006. Then went to UCF from 2007-2012, I can tell you there wasn't much of a difference in reference to people using racial slurs at either university. The truth is as much as we want to believe as a society we have moved on from racism, that isn't even close to the truth. I taught the psychology of prejudice and discrimination at UCF and all of your stories happened just as much, if not more given the stories I heard from students in my classroom. It's society, not a specific university.
Nice to see a fellow Tiger on the board.

But I agree with your statement, especially the last sentence. You're right, there's a much bigger difference in the actual climate from those two locations compared to the racial climate.

The fact that an Asian student is walking home on campus (where she already has to be concerned about possibly of being sexually assaulted) and two white guys walk up to her, and insult her with racial slurs, while mocking her race in 2015 is so sad and a huge problem. What's even worse is some people genuinely do not care.

I will say from personal experience, Mizzou had the most...racial issues(not sure how else to label it), out of any campus I have been on. I think SMU would be number two (my 3rd choice for school) and UT was the best (my 2nd choice). But then again, maybe that's because I spent more time there (Mizzou) than anywhere else.

I often think about during my junior year there, how my best friend (half black) was walking with a white a friend of ours and a couple of guys in a truck drove by and called him the n-word, as they sped off. Our friend was absolutely stunned and felt horrible, and we explained to him, that's just the reality of being a minority.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:33 PM

301 posts, read 333,627 times
I think you are full of sh%t

Old 11-09-2015, 12:36 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
I think you are full of sh%t
Yes I would like to see their proof!!! Like no one has ever lied about racial insults!!!!

Old 11-09-2015, 12:41 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,187,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
To do it right....
I could see Illinois just combining a bunch of administrator positions and departments, leaving cuts in the wake, and saying, "Change. Done." We are talking about the same state that gave faculty less than 48 hours warning that their health insurance was suspended and they would have to pay medical costs in cash and get reimbursed sometime next year.
That probably has more to do with the fact that we haven't had a budget since July because the governor is trying to force through his union busting ideas, and the legislature won't swallow the pill.

I can't imagine those universities losing some of their autonomy would go down well in any of those districts.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:54 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I am Hispanic. I face bigotry and prejudice every day, day in, day out. When is the last time someone implied you should lose your citizenship because of your last name?

This has never made me feel unsafe. Ever. Nor victimized. If you think this makes you unsafe and a victim, then you have never truly been unsafe. You solve "the problem" by the collective force of individual actions, not by demanding that those who are the problem fix it.
If I had a dollar for every time I was told to "go back to Africa", I'd probably be able to buy everyone who posted in this thread lunch at Chick-fil-A. This isn't a comparison of who gets worse racism, that again, is ignoring the actual problem at hand.

Look, if you want to stand on the sidelines and just accept it, that's fine. That's your right. But don't vilify people who want to peacefully stand up for something they believe in.

You still haven't explained how Butler and this protest group have attacked other students on campus. There hasn't been a single act of violence in this entire thing. That's the best part about all of this.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:54 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
Maybe if these coddled, babies could figure out how to open a book and learn something they might wake up, probably not though, it was hard enough to teach them how to lace their athletic shoes. This BS is getting old.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
The fact that an Asian student is walking home on campus (where she already has to be concerned about possibly of being sexually assaulted) and two white guys walk up to her, and insult her with racial slurs, while mocking her race in 2015 is so sad and a huge problem. What's even worse is some people genuinely do not care.

I will say from personal experience, Mizzou had the most...racial issues(not sure how else to label it), out of any campus I have been on. I think SMU would be number two (my 3rd choice for school) and UT was the best (my 2nd choice). But then again, maybe that's because I spent more time there (Mizzou) than anywhere else.

I often think about during my junior year there, how my best friend (half black) was walking with a white a friend of ours and a couple of guys in a truck drove by and called him the n-word, as they sped off. Our friend was absolutely stunned and felt horrible, and we explained to him, that's just the reality of being a minority.
But those incidences are not exclusive to Mizzou, they can unfortunately happen anywhere. What could Wolfe have done? If there were problems happening in the classrooms, that would be easier to deal with. But random people making racist remarks on the street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events