Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:56 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
I think you are full of sh%t
Are you referring to me?

You think I care if you believe me or not?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:58 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But those incidences are not exclusive to Mizzou, they can unfortunately happen anywhere. What could Wolfe have done? If there were problems happening in the classrooms, that would be easier to deal with. But random people making racist remarks on the street?
I've already acknowledged this. Being dismissive, unresponsive and showing no concern is where Wolfe went wrong and failed at his job.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time I was told to "go back to Africa", I'd probably be able to buy everyone who posted in this thread lunch at Chick-fil-A. This isn't a comparison of who gets worse racism, that again, is ignoring the actual problem at hand.
What is the problem at hand then? You claim it is students who are "unsafe" and "victimized" by racism on campus. My assertion is that you cannot be made unsafe and a victim by the racism. That places the power directly in the hands of the racist to do that. You are responsible for your own safety and your own protection from victimization. That takes the power away from the racists. Appealing to authority to protect you is a powerless proposition that you cannot win in the long run.

Quote:
Look, if you want to stand on the sidelines and just accept it, that's fine. That's your right. But don't vilify people who want to peacefully stand up for something they believe in.
Those who appeal to authority to protect them are the ones standing on the sidelines. They are the ones who are failing the rest of us and I will vilify them for that reason.

Quote:
You still haven't explained how Butler and this protest group have attacked other students on campus. There hasn't been a single act of violence in this entire thing. That's the best part about all of this.
The goal of the protests was to shut down the campus and stop classes from occurring.
That is directly an attack on the education of other students.

Every single complaint being made all comes down to the deep and pervasive spending cuts made in education the State of Missouri in the last 4 years. These protests completely fail to acknowledge that as the source of all of these problems, and instead provide cover to that idea by pitting African-American faculty and students against Asian and Hispanic faculty and students, the groups who will absorb the cuts necessary to increase African-American faculty and enrollment (not already under-represented whites). Education at Mizzou will suffer and suffer deeply as a result of these protests while the most critical issue and the real "problem", a state that ignores education funding for cheaper taxes, will go pass by in exchange for passing assent of those in authority by sacrificing Wolfe.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
If I had a dollar for every time I was told to "go back to Africa", I'd probably be able to buy everyone who posted in this thread lunch at Chick-fil-A. This isn't a comparison of who gets worse racism, that again, is ignoring the actual problem at hand.
But how is forcing someone to resign fixing the problem? Timothy Wolfe resigning is not going to stop the racism in Columbia. Its not going to make those saying hateful things decide to turn their lives around.

And I'm not saying the problem should be ignored, I just don't see how the students' demands are going to change anything. I doubt the faculty is the major problem. The racism and sexism is coming from fellow students.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:10 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,510 times
The students and faculty at Mizzou have just guaranteed that a diploma from that school will be less than worthless. Show me a business that will happily employ a student who screams racism and walks out the first time something doesn't go his way.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
I've already acknowledged this. Being dismissive, unresponsive and showing no concern is where Wolfe went wrong and failed at his job.
There was nothing a University President could have (or should have) done. The allegation (unproven) is that a redneck in a pickup uttered a slur at the (black) student govt. president.

Honestly, who gives a crap? There are bigots out there. There are liars out there. Maybe some redneck bigot did say something bad. Maybe the student president is a liar. In any case, it isn't a big deal, and speaks to this American obsession with race. Stop it already!

Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Interestingly, the game they are about to boycott is against Brigham Young, historically the most racist university in the USA, which might not have any black players on the team at all. (But I think they have a token black player on their basketball team.)

Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
If I had a dollar for every time I was told to "go back to Africa", I'd probably be able to buy everyone who posted in this thread lunch at Chick-fil-A..........
Actually, if you had 10 million dollars for every time that was said to you, you would still be broke.
Never happened.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:21 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Interestingly, them game they are about to boycott is against Brigham Young, historically the most racist university in the USA, which might not have any black players on the team at all.
BYU has an amazing level of outreach to American Indian, Asian, Hispanic, and Pacific Islander students. It actually has one of the most diverse football teams in Div I-A, with particular high proportions of each of those ethnicities.

1978 was a long time ago. Today, the impact of LDS missionary work was turned BYU and BYU-Hawaii into much more diverse campuses (especially BYU-Hawaii, one of the most diverse campuses in the country).

Last edited by marigolds6; 11-09-2015 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Cleaned up language to be less confrontational

Old 11-09-2015, 01:26 PM

369 posts, read 374,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I am Hispanic. I face bigotry and prejudice every day, day in, day out. When is the last time someone implied you should lose your citizenship because of your last name?

This has never made me feel unsafe. Ever. Nor victimized. If you think this makes you unsafe and a victim, then you have never truly been unsafe. You solve "the problem" by the collective force of individual actions, not by demanding that those who are the problem fix it.
In my observation, a lot of so-called Hispanics seem to be white-washed and kiss white butt; therefore, they will probably claim that white racism isn't much of a problem. Perhaps it is a survival strategy, who knows.

In response to this thread in general: I find it interesting that many non-blacks like to criticize the so-called Negro for riots, but when some students do something like this in a non-riot way, people still get an attitude? Perhaps the issue is, they really want blacks to just "know their place" and ignore white racism. Well, you may not want to hold your breaths on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events