Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times

Advertisements

I think we are bringing too many to America, but I don't have any fear over it. It's because we already have too many people.

Side note...The Syrian passport was a fake and most if not all of the terrorists were born and or raised in Europe. It is extremely ignorant to equate all Muslims to terrorists. Stop relying on Faux News and Right Wing sources for your info on Islam. The problem isn't Islam. It is Wahhabism. Read a book or two and think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:25 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
The government would be irresponsible to drop them off in an overly conservative area.
Maybe San Francisco could take them... the people there have a reputation of being the most non racist, open to diversity and tolerant of different cultures.
Oh, puh-leeze do not suggest San Francisco. We have enough problems already. The hoards of people, from illegals to millennials coming to "Silicon Valley" to become the next Mark Zuckerberg, have overrun the Bay Area. We have too much traffic congestion, the most expensive housing in the country (if one can even find anything to buy or rent), ad nauseam. On top of that, California is in its worse drought ever.

Who is paying for these refugees, many of whom do not speak English, have few skills, grew up in a completely different culture? Yup, we the taxpayers. All the while, California (for example) cuts and cuts programs for its own citizens (seniors, disabled) due to lack of funds (so Jerry can claim to balance the budget) while paying for those who are not here legally and families brought in by green card holders. My neighborhood, once an established older middle class area, has turned into a barrio in less than five years.

Too bad the "American Dream" is out of reach for many of us who are educated, have worked hard, contributed to our communities, paid taxes and followed the rules.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:43 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I think we are bringing too many to America, but I don't have any fear over it. It's because we already have too many people.

Side note...The Syrian passport was a fake and most if not all of the terrorists were born and or raised in Europe. It is extremely ignorant to equate all Muslims to terrorists. Stop relying on Faux News and Right Wing sources for your info on Islam. The problem isn't Islam. It is Wahhabism. Read a book or two and think.
Of course all muslims aren't terrorists. But in regards to the major attacks that have occurred in this country, around the world, and of course most recently in Paris, what religion/warped offshoot of said religion do these people claim to be?

For people like myself, I just say check out ANY person carefully who comes into our country beyond the "welcome to the US!"....ie, check into one's background, see if they have the means/a skill to support themselves, aren't criminals, etc. This is common practice in many other countries around the world. Or how about not letting who knows who is coming into our country illegally unchecked as they please? That's naive, especially in this day in age. And it's equally naive to think we can keep letting people in unchecked when we have tons of our own citizens who can't(or don't want to) find jobs. And think we can pour all this money into bringing 10,000 more people into this country when our country is basically broke/our credit card is maxed way beyond it's limit. Our country is broke with piles of unsolved $/other issues.

I read the book and it's called common sense, not which side of the same coin is "right". And following the rule of law. And a country living within their own means. And stop trying to solve the worlds problems/being everything to everybody. Many other countries practice it. So should we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Oh, puh-leeze do not suggest San Francisco. We have enough problems already. The hoards of people, from illegals to millennials coming to "Silicon Valley" to become the next Mark Zuckerberg, have overrun the Bay Area. We have too much traffic congestion, the most expensive housing in the country (if one can even find anything to buy or rent), ad nauseam. On top of that, California is in its worse drought ever.

Who is paying for these refugees, many of whom do not speak English, have few skills, grew up in a completely different culture? Yup, we the taxpayers. All the while, California (for example) cuts and cuts programs for its own citizens (seniors, disabled) due to lack of funds (so Jerry can claim to balance the budget) while paying for those who are not here legally and families brought in by green card holders. My neighborhood, once an established older middle class area, has turned into a barrio in less than five years.

Too bad the "American Dream" is out of reach for many of us who are educated, have worked hard, contributed to our communities, paid taxes and followed the rules.
Ugh, sorry to hear about this, especially someone like yourself who's playing by the rules/working hard. As I've said above, our country doesn't have the money for this nonsense anymore. And when the rule of law is ignored, people who play by the rules/work hard for a living and see others get a free/semi-free ride will eventually say....why bother? If that comes to pass, it won't be pretty.

Perhaps there's hope for your city though...at least it's a start

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ction-bid.html

Last edited by stevek64; 11-16-2015 at 11:54 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post

Thank for your thoughtful and logical post. We in CA are already dealing with a lot of cutbacks and simply can't afford to take them in good bye

Glad to see some others thinking critically and logically instead of using just their hearts.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 AM

775 posts, read 776,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Contrary to the BS on the Internet,

According to the state department a total of 14 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Loisiana since January 1. 6 of them have been resettled in NOLA.

It would be a tad challenging to hide 10,000 refugees in NOLA.

How would a Syrian get to , let alone be admitted to Mexico City and then somehow make their way to the US border? Would it not be smarter to just fly into JFK, assuming one has the means and ability to obtain a visa to get a connecting flight to the US?

People have a tendency to believe anything, no matter how goofy, when it validates their perceptions.

You are being manipulated.
It is certainly understandable human emotion after a tragedy like this. However, I don't think these tens of thousands of refugees figure are even remotely accurate. Where is the source? Do you believe everything you hear when you are emotional? From several independent sources and news agencies, I believe that figure of 14 for NO is likely. That's a HUGE difference over the exaggerated 65,000. That's not even close to what some European countries have vowed to take!

Again, where do you get those figures? They are highly suspect and yes, they'll whip up a crowd - if you believe anything and everything without question. You have to look at it from a rational viewpoint.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:59 AM

775 posts, read 776,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is so stupid a statement. Obama is Christian, sorry to burst your bubble. Even if he wasn't, why the heck would he want to do that? It makes no sense whatsoever, it's just more idiocy from the "we hate having a black president" crowd.
Yes, there are plenty of home-grown radicals out there. And I don't mean Muslims or Syrians.......they definitely have a certain belief. I think it's called hatred and they have to vent, preferably in a forum.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times
I think if we bring refugees in, they should go to SANCTUARY CITIES. They are the compassionate ones, right?

Old 11-17-2015, 06:31 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is so stupid a statement. Obama is Christian, sorry to burst your bubble. Even if he wasn't, why the heck would he want to do that? It makes no sense whatsoever, it's just more idiocy from the "we hate having a black president" crowd.
I supported Herman Cain last election, so I guess that "bursts your bubble. If Obama is a Christian, then I'm Santa Claus! He is a muslim- take the blinders off, and quit drinking the kool-aid.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Probably an Advance Guard for the coming invasion of Space Aliens ...
HappyRider made a valid point.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:16 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post

Of course the Syrian passport was fake. Assad doesn’t issue passports to ISIS. That doesn’t change anything. ISIS slipped someone in as a Syrian, fake passport or not. As for whether what Islam is or isn’t, if you say you are a Muslim, then you are a Muslim. Can you prove you are a Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events