Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:07 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_P...Network_outage

They did all that with marginal motivation to "prove a point". There's no telling what they could do in a situation like this.
OH Snap! They will stop ISIS from playing Call of Duty! That will teach them. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 09:11 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
OH Snap! They will stop ISIS from playing Call of Duty! That will teach them. LOL
You're being highly naive to what kind of insane crap Anonymous can get their hands on.

Quote:
The data theft concerned authorities around the world. Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos, said the breach "certainly ranks as one of the biggest data losses ever to affect individuals".
This isn't relevant?

Old 11-17-2015, 09:20 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Let's wait & see what Anonymous ends up doing. Will they organize for a week or so and launch a big operation that successfully cripples the Daesh communication network? Or will they make quick, small attacks in a hurry that won't do too much? I hope it's the former.

On the ISIS vs. DAESH front, I prefer to NOT call thm ISIS.

1. They are not a state, they are a terrorist organization.

2. I will not be told what to do by a bunch of smelly, ugly, cowardly murderers that should've been aborted at birth. They want to be called ISIS to bring a veneer of legitimacy amongst those they've conquered? I will call them anything else but that what they wish to be called by.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You're being highly naive to what kind of insane crap Anonymous can get their hands on.
Enlighten me.
Quote:
This isn't relevant?
I guess if they can hack the ISIS databases and get a list of all ISIS members and then hand that over to the authorities and use their credit cards to to send pizza's to refugee camps?

What do you think they will do to ISIS? I am still waiting for them to stop the Mexican Drug cartels? How long does it take to get dump data breaches of drug cartel employees? Sheesh!

Old 11-17-2015, 10:06 AM

45,575 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
I agree. Greedy people co-op a good cause and have young, naive, volunteers do the dirty work. Usually it is for personal reasons or profit. This seems like a silly adventure but it may lead to some good stories and experiences for those involved as well.
Sounds like ISIS...

Old 11-17-2015, 10:46 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Quote:
They hacked into HB Gary's security system.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Lightbulb *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
Good for them
"Anonymous" is party of the CIA in this country and ISIS is a US created entity to instill fear!!!!

THIS IS ALL A GAME MEANT TO GET/KEEP COMPLETE ACCEPTANCE FROM THE SHEEPLE IN THIS COUNTRY WHO BLINDLY BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY ARE TOLD!!

"Oh... give us your guns so we can protect you...." and then the NWO swoops right in!!!!!!

That movie "The force awakens" (Star wars) is about to clamp down hard and the sheep are all falling right into it!!

Old 11-17-2015, 11:53 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
OH yeah, I forgot because it was 4 years old that it was true any longer. My bad. Also I believe this was the last big thing that anonymous has done? What of significance have they done in the last 4 years?

Please use your "Industry Knowledge" and tell me how this group is a threat.

If attempting to do something is your bar for awesome than I guess it could possibly be awesome but not potent at all. Let me know when they actually do disrupt ISIS or make any kind of dent.

Darn those meddling kids!

Yeah, you seem to have this well thought out.

Let me know when they do something to their AK-47's or their Satellites. LOL
First, here's the easiest source of Anonymous activity.

Second, any person or group who is able to launch even something as basic as a volumetric attack against a computer resource can cause a significant disruption of services.

Third, with very limited exception, most publicly connected computer resources have vulnerabilities. Even running something as simple as scripts probing a range of IP addresses to detect said vulnerabilities can detect exploit opportunities.

Fourth, the greatest Infosec minds I've encountered over the past ten years have been some of the youngest as well; they have an abundance of time and energy and were born into technology thus grasping more advanced concepts easily. They have committed thousands of hours trying to find backdoors and weaknesses to breach perimeter security and navigate even robust and well defended infrastructures because once you're behind the primary firewalls, it's that much easier to hijack servers and establish connections as a trusted source. I see this almost every day (I'm that guy who reads the NCCIC/US-CERT daily alerts).

Fifth and final point, ISIS relies heavily on technology; it's how they communicate with operatives around the world, a well known fact at this point. However they still depend on the public internet which puts them at risk for detection. Anonymous has a well established track record of exploiting obvious vulnerabilities. It's kind of a simple math formula.

But you appear to be a cynic and will likely cling to your position simply because it's what you know to do. You haven't offered even one intelligent counterpoint other than the inane "because I said so" masqueraded in different forms.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:12 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
i hope Anonymous hits them where it hurts.

takes all their assets, etc.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Fifth and final point, ISIS relies heavily on technology; it's how they communicate with operatives around the world, a well known fact at this point. However they still depend on the public internet which puts them at risk for detection. Anonymous has a well established track record of exploiting obvious vulnerabilities. It's kind of a simple math formula.
OK, ISIS is pretty tech savvy for a militant group. But they use Facebook, Twitter and other large corporate sites. Is Anonymous going to attack those sites?

Also how many of these script kiddies know the various languages that are at play here?

One interesting thing I saw last night was that ISIS was using online games and PS4's to communicate. I assume at least some of this is via apps like teamspeak. I am not sure how these kids are going to disrupt this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
But you appear to be a cynic and will likely cling to your position simply because it's what you know to do. You haven't offered even one intelligent counterpoint other than the inane "because I said so" masqueraded in different forms.
You have not offered any realistic way they will have an effect on ISIS either.

This is my counterpoint to your argument:

Anonymous retreats from Mexico drug cartel confrontation | Technology | The Guardian

It is the most similar project to going after ISIS. Nothing ever came of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events