Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:04 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times

Advertisements

This report is utterly useless, they have family in Mexico, so they go back and forth. The latest wave are Central Americans, I doubt they will be as transient. I don't fault Trump and his wall, anything would help. I pay thousands in property taxes to support a county hospital and school system that they abuse. It's not fair to those who come in legally, nor is it fair to our poorer citizens. But again, I don't believe that report for one second. I believe what I see, they go home and they come back - that's what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:05 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Actually that is a big deal, because it is certainly not happening in Europe. This drop has made it much easier to integreate the ones who are already in the US.
The reason they can integrate is because they come from a Western, Christian culture that's compatible with US culture and - the majority of them - are willing to work hard to get ahead.

It also helps that Mexican culture is fairly tolerant of other people. Of course when they are a majority they will often tease you for not being a Latino, but by and large they just let you be.

This is very different from the "us vs them" mentality of Islamists.

Quote:
It is precisely of this reason US is not going to have a big immigration problem in the future. Yes, whites will eventually be a minority, but the ones replacing them are almost white Christians. Republicans shouldn't worry about hispanics, many of them will become just like them in the future.
Except that when there's a majority of Mexicans anywhere, they turn the place into Mexico. This is true for any immigrant group. For them to become Americanized they have to stay a minority.

Quote:
Compared to the EU, I think the US has a bright future. Not only has EU economy done terribly, but now millions of muslims is wandering into EU each year. This will not end well, and US will end up looking quite good in comparison.
Yes, I'd rather risk living in Mexico than ISIL Caliphate. But I'd much rather live in the US...

Old 11-22-2015, 11:32 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Sorry, Pew has a stellar credibility, and would never lower themselves to what you suggest. It is one of the truly unbiased polling and research opinion organizations.

Go find another place to where your tin foil will work. I am SO embarrassed that my fellow conservatives are not only swallowing this crap, but spewing it with regularity.

You keep on believing that, same as you likely believed that Iraq had WMD's because our President, with "Stellar" credibility said so. Yep, it must have been Gospel..

Do you seriously think that the Government cannot influence anyone when ever they like. ?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I find it intriguing that Mexicans, whether immigrants or illegal, seem to be able to find jobs when there are so many unemployed people who were born in the USA can't.

Or maybe it is that the Mexicans actually bust their butts working rather than whining and sniveling? Most Mexicans I know are hard, hard workers, are family orientated, and too proud to do the welfare thing.
That's quite true, I think notion that the majority of them use welfare is bogus. I think a lot of them (or their kids at least) might be on Medicaid, but I don't count that as welfare. To my understanding, most countries aside from the US (and including the US for that matter) have some sort of government healthcare.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Except that when there's a majority of Mexicans anywhere, they turn the place into Mexico. This is true for any immigrant group. For them to become Americanized they have to stay a minority.

Yes, I'd rather risk living in Mexico than ISIL Caliphate. But I'd much rather live in the US...
I disagree. First off mexicans will never become the majority, it is ethnic europeans who will become a minority in 2050. And in 2050 a lot of mexicans have grown up in the american neighborhoods, and hence become no different from other americans. That is because kids who grow up in a different culture, become quite different from their parents.

Hence in 2050 when about 25-30% are hispanic, and 45-50% are white, then half of the hispanics are going to be culturally white and most of the asians will be in white communities as well. Hence, todays majority culture will remain a majority in 2050 as well.

And if you want to turn US into Mexico, then it is not enough to make hispanics a majority, because the remaining 45% matters. In addition, a lot of the problems in Mexico is not due to their culture, but because their institutions are corrupt and inefficient, and their infrastructure is poor. Institutions and infrastructure doesn't have to change, just because the culture change. But as I said, with the current rate of immigration, the current majority culture will remain a clear majority. Hence, US will not turn into Mexico!

Last edited by Camlon; 11-22-2015 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-22-2015, 03:42 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,542,629 times
Quote:
I disagree. First off mexicans will never become the majority, it is ethnic europeans who will become a minority in 2050. And in 2050 a lot of mexicans have grown up in the american neighborhoods, and hence become no different from other americans. That is because kids who grow up in a different culture, become quite different from their parents.

Hence in 2050 when about 25-30% are hispanic, and 45-50% are white, then half of the hispanics are going to be culturally white and most of the asians will be in white communities as well. Hence, todays majority culture will remain a majority in 2050 as well.

And if you want to turn US into Mexico, then it is not enough to make hispanics a majority, because the remaining 45% matters. In addition, a lot of the problems in Mexico is not due to their culture, but because their institutions are corrupt and inefficient, and their infrastructure is poor. Institutions doesn't have to change, just because the culture change, and US infrastructure will remain the same. But as I said, with the current rate of immigration, the current majority culture will remain a clear majority.
Totally disagree with you but hey you keep believing that.
Only thing I'll say is, Hispanics are more welcome and excepted in white household than any other minority.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's right, because bleeding heart liberals like yourself, by encouraging and supporting those who come into this country illegally make this a necessary evil. If they can't freely send billions of dollars every year back to Mexico, coming here isn't so sweet for them.
Please forgive me for thinking of the ramifications of the proposed legislation on other people besides illegal immigrants.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:13 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
If you are going to make a claim like this please support it. Personally I know plenty of Republican business owners (am one myself) and NONE hire illegals. As far as taking American jobs, illegals will typically do a job for much less thus compressing wages.
Again, blame the employers, not the immigrants!!!

IME, many business owners are of the Republican persuasion because they resent oversight, regulation, taxes and other bastions of the Democratic guard. IMO, most of those busted for hiring illegal immigrants are Republican.

[sarcasm]But I suppose you're right - the rich and powerful do seem to be overwhelmingly liberal. [/sarcasm]

Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM

102 posts, read 128,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Totally disagree with you but hey you keep believing that.
Only thing I'll say is, Hispanics are more welcome and excepted in white household than any other minority.
Interesting, why do you think this?

Old 11-22-2015, 04:51 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It has accelerated under the Obama administration. Gee, I wonder why?
Proof, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events