Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 04:56 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
To my understanding, most countries aside from the US (and including the US for that matter) have some sort of government healthcare.
Proof, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:25 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Proof, please.
Not sure if your asking about inside or outside the USA, but as a Canadian, I have full coverage.

Let me give you a personal example. Last week I went for my annual, which included an eye exam, xray, blood tests, PSA, hearing, etc. After I was done with the doctor, my xrays, eye exam, blood tests and ECG were done within 1 1/2 hour, and I had to drive 30 blocks for the xrays/ECG.

Cost to me?

Zero. As in nothing. No co-pay, no deductible, no premium. It took me 5 days to get the appointment (so much for the argument of wait times under universal healthcare), and I was able to book a couple of appointment to get some moles removed, again, no cost to me. Had them done 3 days later.

Oh, and I have my choice of doctor. I don't have to belong to a HMO (there are none in Canada). I also happen to live far from a major center, more than 70 miles away. In fact, it takes me 30 minutes to drive from the small village of 151 houses to the 'big town' of 5,800, where all the facilities are available I listed.

Taxes?

Corporation taxes in Canada max out at 15%. In the USA? 35%.

Personal taxes?

We pay about the same to marginally more, depending on the jurisdiction. Overall, in Canada total tax and non-tax revenue for every level of government equals about 38.4% of GDP, compared to the U.S. rate of 28.2%. A lot of that is due to our federal sales tax and higher taxes on gasoline.

Most of my American friends (I stay at my Florida condo six months of the year) would love to change places with me. They hate their system, and can't understand the reluctance to change and institute a true national universal healthcare system, that gets rid of all the inefficacies.

Canada spends about 10% of GDP on all healthcare, the US about 16%. Results? Obamacare is a joke and made a bad situation worse. The only thing positive is that one can't be denied for preexisting conditions, but that is about it.

Canadians live longer by about 3 years.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:53 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's quite true, I think notion that the majority of them use welfare is bogus. I think a lot of them (or their kids at least) might be on Medicaid, but I don't count that as welfare. To my understanding, most countries aside from the US (and including the US for that matter) have some sort of government healthcare.

Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare - Judicial Watch

Old 11-22-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Proof, please.

Increase In Illegal Immigration By Families: You Won’t Believe Why More Are Coming With Young Children

Old 11-22-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I disagree. First off mexicans will never become the majority, it is ethnic europeans who will become a minority in 2050. And in 2050 a lot of mexicans have grown up in the american neighborhoods, and hence become no different from other americans. That is because kids who grow up in a different culture, become quite different from their parents.

Hence in 2050 when about 25-30% are hispanic, and 45-50% are white, then half of the hispanics are going to be culturally white and most of the asians will be in white communities as well. Hence, todays majority culture will remain a majority in 2050 as well.

And if you want to turn US into Mexico, then it is not enough to make hispanics a majority, because the remaining 45% matters. In addition, a lot of the problems in Mexico is not due to their culture, but because their institutions are corrupt and inefficient, and their infrastructure is poor. Institutions and infrastructure doesn't have to change, just because the culture change. But as I said, with the current rate of immigration, the current majority culture will remain a clear majority. Hence, US will not turn into Mexico!

Those of Mexican descent could very well become the majority via illegal immigration and anchor babies. They are adamant about retaining their native culture and language over American culture and the English language and they past that down through the generations.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:12 PM

A 4 year old blog piece based on 6 year old data, which means, it was at the height of .....what? The Great Recession just maybe?

Time to get with the times. Your spewing old facts that are not current.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:24 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Again, blame the employers, not the immigrants!!!
Trust me, I blame the employers. I've said it a thousand times, if people would stop hiring them, they would go home. I must point out that they are not immigrants, they are illegal aliens. They are breaking the law, so I blame them too. But yes, the employers really tick me off.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:42 PM

Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants". I don't know of a single American that doesn't want the employers punished for hiring illegal aliens but the illegals themselves were not forced to work in this country nor were they forced over the border so they are equally guilty. It's not only jobs that draw them here either but benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids also. We need to remove all of the incentives for them to come here.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
A 4 year old blog piece based on 6 year old data, which means, it was at the height of .....what? The Great Recession just maybe?

Time to get with the times. Your spewing old facts that are not current.

What makes you think that things have changed especially since we have more illegal aliens here today than we need 6 years ago? Pro-illegals just can't stand the facts.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What makes you think that things have changed especially since we have more illegal aliens here today than we need 6 years ago? Pro-illegals just can't stand the facts.
I don't deal in speculation. I leave that to conspiracy theorists, Trump supporters, and fundie Christians.

Facts only, not speculation. Your facts are old, questionable and not relevant to the current situation. Bring uptodate facts, and you might have a case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events