Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 12:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That would be pretty stupid. All media attention is on shopping for Black Friday. Why not take the protest to the most important retail area on the most important shopping day of the year?

When people organize a protest obviously they want media attention and public recognition. In this case the protest made sense and served its needs. Not seeing the problem here.
That's exactly my point. If BLM was about black lives mattering, it would make a concerted effort to serve the violent communities nearby.

Instead, BLM is furthering its negative, divisive mission by again deliberately interfering with the lives of affluent whites (and probably some affluent ethnic minorities) who were going about their own business.

It's just another negative-attention-seeking OWS type movement that will have no positive result for the people it claims to help (and also uses as free labor to get media attention for its profiteers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 12:41 PM

76 posts, read 67,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Would you be fine with protesting in your yard and your job. Not allowing you to make a living or to enjoy what you have?
Of course they wouldn't be ok with that. Poor people can't afford the lack of income and I doubt he even has a yard.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I understand they are now all demanding reparations from the Civil War.

If that's the case then I'm gonna become "Black like Rachael", join the movement and sit at home waiting on my check.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They're interfering with businesses and people who had absolutely no stake in the matter.
Exactly. They're mad at cops, so they destroy local businesses. Makes PERFECT sense.

Just like the countless other BLM protests and riots, where they looted and burned local businesses. SO EFFECTIVE!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
That's exactly my point. If BLM was about black lives mattering, it would make a concerted effort to serve the violent communities nearby.

Instead, BLM is furthering its negative, divisive mission by again deliberately interfering with the lives of affluent whites (and probably some affluent ethnic minorities) who were going about their own business.

It's just another negative-attention-seeking OWS type movement that will have no positive result for the people it claims to help (and also uses as free labor to get media attention for its profiteers).

Since this is Chicago, I would bet at least half of those business owners are something other than white. I would guess a good percentage of those businesses are owned by blacks.

It doesn't matter, because BLM is not going around checking to see the race of the business owners before they start these protests, or before they loot and burn. They are indiscriminately ruining people's businesses because they are childish criminals and they think that criminal behavior should warrant them special protections instead of justice.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
If only they focused on illuminating the crime and poverty in poor black neighborhoods where these police work, and get to the root of the problem which is the profile they've attained. But instead they are expecting officer's to be mind readers. These cops are human, some are violent and all are use to hunting down criminals. They WILL make mistakes, some WILL profile a kid with a knife attacking patrol cars as a deadly threat, some WILL be afraid and yes some WILL be excessive. There will always be a few casualties.

The best way to make sure your kid isn't shot by a cop or anyone else for that matter is to educate them on the risks that come with commiting ANY crime, even a petty crime comes with these risks. Heck, buying pot from a drug dealer comes with the risk of being shot. I don't see them protesting drug dealers. Why? Because they can't. But they can protest cops, the city, who's majority is usually trying to protect them. I suggest since they will be making it harder for the police to protect them they move their protest on over to the ganglords house when they are done with the police department. They can then proceed with telling him BLM. They can hold hands and block a drug run to make him listen. A 9 year old just got shot by a gang as retaliation, he had no weapon. He was just a casualty in a gang fight.

It's like the poor protesting Robinhood because he didn't deliver to every poor person, most but not all. One of his helpers kept some, so now he's an *******. Police officers are as individual as black people. The cop who shot the man is in jail, the family has been awarded 5 mil. No, it won't reverse the damage but there are always casualties in war. It's a reality that will not change. Men and women who join a force to fight evil do so knowing they might be a casualty themselves.

You all protect each other. Gangs don't rat out to the police, and yes the police force will protect themselves. Might not be ethical but it WILL occur. Best to avoid running into one by committing a crime. Their job is hunting down perpetrators of the law. They hunt criminals, how much do you think they can take? Until we get ROBO Cops you'll have to deal with mistakes or bad apples. This is reality.

Keep your kids safe from criminals AND cops by preventing them from carrying out criminal activity. If you can't then know, just like someone who works for the police force, you might fall victim of being a casualty, it comes with the criminal territory. Cops die protecting you too. They understand casualties. When you play with fire you might get burned.

Why not demand the city help clean up it's gang infested neighborhoods instead? Next time you see a crime report it, don't ignore it. Actively promote black people in poor neighborhood's to join the force and help correct the problem instead of being part of it. The force would love more black officers. Work your way up and change policies. There are so many productive approaches to take that would make a difference and at the same time cause unity instead of segregation.

Nobody thinks anyone should die, but casualties of war happen and this will not prevent that. Police officers will die working and some civilians will die as a consequence. This is the sad reality of being a human being. We takes these chances everyday. We all hope it doesn't happen again.
Great post, repped.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:48 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
I swear to god, some of you people...

Look here, for all of you hoping that there would be mass looting and buildings burning down, I hate to break your black little hearts but Chicago is still standing. There was NO mass looting, no one running into the Apple Store, Saks, VS, or Walgreens stealing anything. The stores still made some money (surprise!, some stores actually have more than one entrance and these stores knew this protest was coming and made plans) and the economy didn't collapse. The protests were peaceful w/ barely any arrests, no shootings, no arson, no National Guards.

And for all the people living no where near Chicago talking about why isn't the "black community" protesting against gang violence, well frankly you guys can shove it. I LIVE in Chicago, in an area plagued with issues and I've seen the protests. There is a ton of footage on my FB of protests not connected to police shootings going on in Chicago. Just because the media isn't focusing on it doesn't mean it's not happening. Stop pretending that the "black community" only cares when it's cop related because those are bold faced lies. I have seen, with my own two eyes, people protesting against gang violence. I have see people of all ages parked at various corners in order to dispel open air drug markets. I've seen community leaders trying to a address the problem of low employment and poor education (every single church near me offers after school tutoring, activities, and other services to help combat this). I've seen people making a real efforts, seen how block clubs can eradicate crime from that block.

This isn't an easy problem to combat, especially without help from the higher ups. If gangs were so easy to get rid off, lots of cities in this country, heck, in this world, would be a lot better off. Legalizing marijuana to reduce to allure of gang life, ending this ridiculous "war on drugs" so that people with really minor misdemeanors can get real jobs, doing more to solve the problems of unemployment and education would help.

I'm the end, the Black Friday protests were NOT about the above issues, there were about the culture of coverup and corruption that plagues this city. If you want to see protests about gang violence, DM me and I will gladly send you the footage mass media isn't showing you. Otherwise, keep your racist ignorance to yourself and stop pretending as if you know what's really going on.

Last edited by eevee; 11-29-2015 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Sp

Old 11-29-2015, 01:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
^ Who said they want mass looting and burning buildings? When that happens elsewhere, most people here overwhelmingly condemn it - even the most eager BLM supporters.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Easy way for thieves to come in amid the distraction.
Did this actually happen or is it conjecture/wishful thinking?

Old 11-29-2015, 01:54 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Exactly. They're mad at cops, so they destroy local businesses. Makes PERFECT sense.

Just like the countless other BLM protests and riots, where they looted and burned local businesses. SO EFFECTIVE!
What businesses were destroyed during this protest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events