Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 07:55 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
We already know that women fail basic training at very high rates, even under lower standards. We know that hardly any women have been able to pass Marine Boot and zero women have been able to pass IOC. We know that women have a much higher injury rate than men in the military, despite their previously 'soft' roles.

We know quite a bit already.
Where are you getting your numbers. I know Im lazy but I havent been able to find any stats on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 08:29 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
It was almost predetermined that we would come to this result of allowing women into all combat positions.

There was a time before the 1970s when there were relatively very few women in the military. We were in the middle of Vietnam and it was about to end. The women's liberation movement had been going on for a while, but he fact that we were in a war tempered the experiment from moving into the military.

Once the numbers of women in the military started growing, and we got into several skirmishes around the world, the men went and the women stayed behind and filled the non combat slots the men left while they went off to combat. That was not a problem as long as there were enough people in the military. The men had to take more combat tours as a result, but since there were more people in the armed forces, it wasn't that bad.

Then we had political changes. We had a president (Clinton) who loved his country, but didn't like the military and even wrote letters saying as much. Over his tenure the size of the military grew smaller. Combat tours for the men would be more frequent, if the number of actions stayed the same. I am not going to get into which president had the most actions during their terms.

Then we had a president (Bush) who loved his country and the military whose term included a couple major skirmishes, during which he did not grow the size of the military enough to run them without requiring multiple tours for combat troops. I remember during Vietnam that once you had a tour under your belt, you pretty much had to volunteer for a second.

Now we have a president who many question whether he loves this country or the military. He has reduced the military even more, and keeps saying what he won't do to diminish the enemies around the world that believe we are weak and susceptible to attacks. I believe he has been pushed to the point where he now reluctantly believes he has to get our military involved around the world, to fight our enemies, but, since our military has been weakened so much, the only way we can put the appropriate numbers of service personnel into position, is to let woman do the jobs that most of them should not be doing. Before the end of his second term he will be sending our military into harms way without the proper "tools" to do the job, because he has weakened our military over the last seven years.

Just watch and, hopefully, learn from it.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
It's funny the military has always gotten blamed for the restrictive role that woman serve under but in actuality it is congress who determine their role. I would also safely say that a large percentage of woman do not believe they should be drafted and would not want to serve but for those that do go for it...

Old 12-07-2015, 09:36 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Where are you getting your numbers. I know Im lazy but I havent been able to find any stats on this.
This is the best source. From the above post. http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/FileDow...2-4a518be998f7

Cant copy any paste because it is a PDF. See page 3 and 4. The numbers are abysmal.

67% more likely to have a medical discharge
12.7% discharge rate for medical reasons in basic vs 5.2%
Use non gender related medical services ship board 6x more than men
79%-88% of the injuries are lower extremety injuries.
Female gender is a risk factor for injury in basic training.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:44 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You didn't answer my question, so I will ask it again, now knowing that the are now in their 40s. When they were in their late teens and twenties were they in the military or another circumstance where they might have been placed in a situation close to women they were not allowed to fraternize with and had no opportunity to be with a girlfriend, over a period of several months or more? If not then you don't really know how they would act, do you?
I didn't respond to you because I find the argument that men committing sexual assault can't be blamed, because they have "uncontrollable urges" and it is the fault of the victim absolutely despicable. I won't argue something that I find that morally reprehensible.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:39 AM

Ok I've read thru the links. With all the women wash out talk... of the articles one was women washing out of the Marines infantry Officer course. Which I imagine is very intense. From the article:
"The two were cut during the physically and academically demanding Combat Endurance Test, along with 81 of the 90 male Marines who applied for the program, Marine Corps Times reported April 8."

Two articles dealt with women not making it thru the Ranger School. From the article:

"Most importantly, what the result so far demonstrates is that the Army has stood by what Ranger School graduates and women soldiers alike have demanded: maintaining the incredibly high standard of what senior military leaders call the “Army’s most physically and mentally-demanding course” while making room for women who could handle the test and sought the chance to meet that bar. No one wanted any slack cut, and none was."

The others dealt with more female injuries and only one was actually military stats.

While these are valid points its hardly real stats on actual wash out rates showing a significant number of women failing BASIC training. Marine Officer and Ranger sound pretty elite to me. Of course men in general are more physically capable and probably more psychologically capable of combat and its logical that women would sustain more injuries and have more overall health issues but what you gave me doesn't really support the significant percentage failing basic.

And if a person fails basic, there not going to combat anyway, right?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:20 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

And if a person fails basic, there not going to combat anyway, right?

If a person fails basic, he goes back home.

If he gets assigned to a combat specialty after basic and fails that for basic reasons of physical weakness (something other than a profileable medical problem, like "chronic spinal misalignment"), he goes back home.

So all drafted young man has to do in this new world order is "fail" to do the required number of pushups, and he goes back home just as the women will do. Right?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:25 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I didn't respond to you because I find the argument that men committing sexual assault can't be blamed, because they have "uncontrollable urges" and it is the fault of the victim absolutely despicable. I won't argue something that I find that morally reprehensible.
I nowhere said that the men shouldn't be blamed, but the odds of something bad happening are greater when you put all the right( or wrong, depending on how you look at it) circumstances together in one place and time. Thank you for raising two angels, by he way. I am looking forward to reading about their honors by whatever authority you ascribe to.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If a person fails basic, he goes back home.

If he gets assigned to a combat specialty after basic and fails that for basic reasons of physical weakness (something other than a profileable medical problem, like "chronic spinal misalignment"), he goes back home.

So all drafted young man has to do in this new world order is "fail" to do the required number of pushups, and he goes back home just as the women will do. Right?

[/font][/font]
IDK. Thats why Im asking questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events