Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 07:42 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
And are you sure about Latin America? Most places in Central America and notably Mexico had abolished slavery before Jackson even left office and the last vestiges were gone in Spanish South America within 10 years of Jackson's death. Only Cuba and Brazil completely abolished slavery in the Western Hemisphere later than the United States.
Good suggestion for an exercise in history!

Andrew Jackson (March 15, 1767 – June 8, 1845), POTUS March 4, 1829 – March 4, 1837

1804: Haiti declares independence and abolishes slavery.
1807, 25 March: Abolition of the Slave Trade Act abolishes slave trading in British Empire.
1810: In Mexico, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla declares slavery abolished.
1811: Spain abolishes slavery at home and in all colonies except Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Santo Domingo.
1811: The First National Congress of Chile approves a proposal drafted by Manuel de Salas that declares the Freedom of wombs, which sets free the sons of slaves born on Chilean territory, no matter the conditions of the parents; it prohibited the slave trade and recognized as freedmen those who, passing in transit through Chilean territory, stayed there for six months.
1813: Mexico abolishes slavery in the documents Sentimientos de la Nación
1813: In Argentina, the Law of Wombs was passed on 2 February, by the Assembly of Year XIII. The law stated that those born after 31 January 1813 would be granted freedom when contracting matrimony, or on their 16th birthday for women and 20th for men, and upon their manumission would be given land and tools to work it.
1814: Uruguay, before its independence, declares all those born of slaves in their territories are free from that day forward.
1816, 16 July: Simon Bolivar declares the emancipation of all the slaves in the Province of Venezuela.
1818: Treaty between Britain and Spain to abolish slave trade.
1818: Treaty between Britain and Portugal to abolish slave trade.
1818: France abolishes slave trading.
1820: Mexico formally abolishes slavery with the Plan of Iguala
1821: Gran Colombia (Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Panama) declares free the sons and daughters born to slave mothers, sets up program for compensated emancipation[53]
1823: Chile abolishes slavery.
1824: The Federal Republic of Central America abolishes slavery.
1825: Uruguay declares independence from Brazil and prohibits the traffic of slaves from foreign countries.

Andrew Jackson POTUS March 4, 1829 – March 4, 1837

1829: Last slaves are freed in Mexico.
1830: To circumvent the law, Anglo colonists in Texas converts slaves into "indentured servants for life".
1830: The first Constitution of Uruguay declares the abolition of slavery.
1831: Bolivia abolishes slavery.
1831: Brazil adopts the Law of 7 November 1831, declaring the maritime slave trade abolished, prohibiting any form of importation of slaves, and granting freedom to slaves should they be illegally imported into Brazil. In spite of its adoption, the law was seldom enforced prior to 1850, when Brazil, under British pressure, adopted additional legislation to criminalize the importation of slaves.
1836: Republic of Texas is established. Slavery is made legal again.

1847: The Ottoman Empire abolishes slave trade from Africa.
1847: The last slaves in the Swedish colony Saint Barthelemy are freed.
1848: Slavery abolished in all French and Danish colonies.
1850: Brazil, under British pressure, adopts the Eusébio de Queiróz Act (Law 581 of 4 September 1850), criminalizing the maritime slave trade as piracy, and imposing other criminal sanctions on the importation of slaves (already prohibited in law since 1831).
1851: New Granada (Colombia) abolishes slavery.
1853: Argentina abolishes slavery when promulgating the 1853 Constitution.
1854: Peru abolishes slavery.
1854: Venezuela abolishes slavery.
1859: Trans-Atlantic slave trade completely ends
1862: Cuba abolishes slave trade.
1863: Slavery abolished in Dutch colonies Surinam (33,000 freed) and the Antilles (12,000 freed).
1871: Brazil: Rio Branco Law (Law of Free Birth) declares free the sons and daughters born to slave mothers after 28 September 1871.
1873: Slavery abolished in the Spanish colony of Puerto Rico: March 22.
1888, 13 May: Brazil enacts the Golden Law, decreeing the total abolition of slavery with immediate effect

Quote:
Please feel free to read any of the previous posts on any of the 9 previous pages where examples were given of the American heroes and important figures who were abolitionists, did NOT own slaves, and were anti-Indian removal. Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson were racists and everyone of their respective time knew it.
I didn't mean to imply that there were no forward thinkers who were more advanced in this area. Even in the formation of the country in 1780's there were groups who wanted to abolish slavery.

Martin Luthur is also an example of a religious leader who was rabidly anti-semitic.

Quote:
Respect the accomplishments of respectable men.
It is still difficult for me to reach back in history and fault everyone for not seeing things the modern way. EVEN IF THERE WERE PEOPLE WHO DID JUST THAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 07:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,191 times
Quote:
Please feel free to read any of the previous posts on any of the 9 previous pages where examples were given of the American heroes and important figures who were abolitionists, did NOT own slaves, and were anti-Indian removal. Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson were racists and everyone of their respective time knew it. But just like today, the racists of the day happened to agree with their policies. And are you sure about Latin America? Most places in Central America and notably Mexico had abolished slavery before Jackson even left office and the last vestiges were gone in Spanish South America within 10 years of Jackson's death. Only Cuba and Brazil completely abolished slavery in the Western Hemisphere later than the United States.

Respect the accomplishments of respectable men.
OK, once again for those of you who are a little slow, the ship is named after the city of Jackson,MS. (a city with a very rich history in Navy ship building) Not president Jackson.
By your twisted logic the rev. Jessie Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, and Micheal Jackson are all horrible racist, bigots for carrying on the Jackson name.

I iterate my claim that some people have way too much time on there hands!

bill

Old 12-11-2015, 08:22 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25
I don't care much about the name of this ship but why Jackson? There are many others I'd choose first.
Who cares what name it is???

Old 12-11-2015, 08:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
It's a boa.....who cares?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
OK, once again for those of you who are a little slow, the ship is named after the city of Jackson,MS. (a city with a very rich history in Navy ship building) Not president Jackson.
By your twisted logic the rev. Jessie Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, and Micheal Jackson are all horrible racist, bigots for carrying on the Jackson name.

bill
Thank you for your repeated horribly-punctuated and capitalized incoherent rants made on this forum. If you haven't bothered to read any of my posts (where I addressed the boat being named after Jackson, MS multiple times) then feel free to NOT respond to me specifically.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Good suggestion for an exercise in history!

Andrew Jackson (March 15, 1767 – June 8, 1845), POTUS March 4, 1829 – March 4, 1837

1804: Haiti declares independence and abolishes slavery.
1807, 25 March: Abolition of the Slave Trade Act abolishes slave trading in British Empire.
1810: In Mexico, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla declares slavery abolished.
1811: Spain abolishes slavery at home and in all colonies except Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Santo Domingo.
1811: The First National Congress of Chile approves a proposal drafted by Manuel de Salas that declares the Freedom of wombs, which sets free the sons of slaves born on Chilean territory, no matter the conditions of the parents; it prohibited the slave trade and recognized as freedmen those who, passing in transit through Chilean territory, stayed there for six months.
1813: Mexico abolishes slavery in the documents Sentimientos de la Nación
1813: In Argentina, the Law of Wombs was passed on 2 February, by the Assembly of Year XIII. The law stated that those born after 31 January 1813 would be granted freedom when contracting matrimony, or on their 16th birthday for women and 20th for men, and upon their manumission would be given land and tools to work it.
1814: Uruguay, before its independence, declares all those born of slaves in their territories are free from that day forward.
1816, 16 July: Simon Bolivar declares the emancipation of all the slaves in the Province of Venezuela.
1818: Treaty between Britain and Spain to abolish slave trade.
1818: Treaty between Britain and Portugal to abolish slave trade.
1818: France abolishes slave trading.
1820: Mexico formally abolishes slavery with the Plan of Iguala
1821: Gran Colombia (Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Panama) declares free the sons and daughters born to slave mothers, sets up program for compensated emancipation[53]
1823: Chile abolishes slavery.
1824: The Federal Republic of Central America abolishes slavery.
1825: Uruguay declares independence from Brazil and prohibits the traffic of slaves from foreign countries.

1829: Last slaves are freed in Mexico.
1830: To circumvent the law, Anglo colonists in Texas converts slaves into "indentured servants for life".
1830: The first Constitution of Uruguay declares the abolition of slavery.
1831: Bolivia abolishes slavery.
1831: Brazil adopts the Law of 7 November 1831, declaring the maritime slave trade abolished, prohibiting any form of importation of slaves, and granting freedom to slaves should they be illegally imported into Brazil. In spite of its adoption, the law was seldom enforced prior to 1850, when Brazil, under British pressure, adopted additional legislation to criminalize the importation of slaves.
1836: Republic of Texas is established. Slavery is made legal again.

1847: The Ottoman Empire abolishes slave trade from Africa.
1847: The last slaves in the Swedish colony Saint Barthelemy are freed.
1848: Slavery abolished in all French and Danish colonies.
1850: Brazil, under British pressure, adopts the Eusébio de Queiróz Act (Law 581 of 4 September 1850), criminalizing the maritime slave trade as piracy, and imposing other criminal sanctions on the importation of slaves (already prohibited in law since 1831).
1851: New Granada (Colombia) abolishes slavery.
1853: Argentina abolishes slavery when promulgating the 1853 Constitution.
1854: Peru abolishes slavery.
1854: Venezuela abolishes slavery.
1859: Trans-Atlantic slave trade completely ends
1862: Cuba abolishes slave trade.
1863: Slavery abolished in Dutch colonies Surinam (33,000 freed) and the Antilles (12,000 freed).
1871: Brazil: Rio Branco Law (Law of Free Birth) declares free the sons and daughters born to slave mothers after 28 September 1871.
1873: Slavery abolished in the Spanish colony of Puerto Rico: March 22.
1888, 13 May: Brazil enacts the Golden Law, decreeing the total abolition of slavery with immediate effect

I didn't mean to imply that there were no forward thinkers who were more advanced in this area. Even in the formation of the country in 1780's there were groups who wanted to abolish slavery.

Martin Luthur is also an example of a religious leader who was rabidly anti-semitic.

It is still difficult for me to reach back in history and fault everyone for not seeing things the modern way. EVEN IF THERE WERE PEOPLE WHO DID JUST THAT.
I have no argument with you in anything you are saying. I used the exact same slavery timeline as you did! If you read my post I think my assertion about Jackson is corroborated by the time line. On the basis you are claiming, I would assume Martin Luther isn't popular in Israel? It's not difficult for me at all to reach back into history to find multitudes of great Americans in which to name things after versus recycling anything with Andrew Jackson's name on it. This would make a good thread on the history forum. I think in the case of a Washington or Jefferson, what they did to make America possible in the first place can make a healthy debate that it counterbalances being slaveowners. But Andrew Jackson had numerous predecessors and contemporaries that allow us to reflect that Henry Clay (for example) is far less of an objectionable figure, was an exemplary statesman during Jackson's time, and his namesake would be more likely to unite Americans than be divisive. Once again, just because Jackson was President doesn't make him great. The fact that the Whigs were incompetent by comparison (hence the virtual demise of the party) also doesn't make Jackson great.

Most nations look back into their glorious past to find figures to use on iconography. Heck in the case of the Nazis, when they couldn't find a glorious past for Germany they made one up! The United States has no such issues; there have been so many great American figures throughout history that don't have particularly objectionable pasts. You could argue that Henry Knox and Winfield Scott were "Indian Fighters". But when you review their histories they objected to it even at the time because they knew it was wrong. I think such human foibles are commendable in today's standards as they would have been in their contemporary times.

But despite having so many great leaders in figures, a particular faction of Americans continues to highlight figures with NOTABLY objectionable pasts in an effort to hang onto the notion of "who's boss". This is why in the American South you are more likely to find a school named after a Confederate general who fought to divide the country than you are to find a school named after the great, Southern leaders of the American Revolution (Nathaniel Greene, Richard Montgomery, Francis Nash, etc.) who fought for independence from tyranny. Qualitatively, Stalin "did a lot" for the Soviet Union. It's safe to say that even Russia with a dubious human rights record has stripped its landscape of any commemoration of Stalin.

Last edited by Steelers10; 12-11-2015 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 10:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Directly from the article.

"The ship is the Navy's third to bear the seventh president's name."
Just Jackson. ...

Old 12-11-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Just Jackson. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

bill
And sorry I couldn't just let this go. Please Bill, tell us more about the very rich history of Navy shipbuilding in the CITY of Jackson, Mississippi...I know you don't have a lot of time on your hands to do actual reading! And what do you call it when you iterate the same thing more than once?

Old 12-11-2015, 11:13 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,079 times
I am so tired of this PC garbage. One branch of our family is named Lee. Do we have to change it as it may offend some sweet petal? How about we determine it is part of History and go on with our lives. Gees, will this folks be offended forever? Time to grow up!

Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,191 times
Quote:
Thank you for your repeated horribly-punctuated and capitalized incoherent rants made on this forum. If you haven't bothered to read any of my posts (where I addressed the boat being named after Jackson, MS multiple times) then feel free to NOT respond to me specifically.
Yes I read your post were you admit that the ship is named after Jackson,MS. Then you go on some long winded, boring, long ago, history lesson on President Jackson for whom by your own admission the ship is not named after.

We get it, you don't like president Jackson, get over it, he's long dead!
And again by your own admission the ship is not named after!

Unless your saying that in your rosy colored ******* land anyone and anything named Jackson must now be expunged.
I guess the next time I post about my favorite poverty pimp, I will have to refer to him as the Rev. Jesse Johnson. I won't be able to listen to the king of pop anymore, unless we change his name to Micheal Johnson, How about the Johnson Five, you know with Tito Johnson.

Damn I just realized that I didn't look up the long winded, boring, history of Pres. Johnson. I hope he never dissed any blacks, native Americans, or anyone on the social justice warriors protected list, otherwise I'll have to start over on the renaming process.

C'mon steeler, Go for the record lets have 10 paragraphs of long, boring history of Pres. Johnson!
(just to be clear, the ship is not named after Johnson either, or any President for that matter, it's named after a city)

I'll give you this you libs sure are entertaining.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events