Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,112 times

Advertisements

The amount of money you guys spend on your military is insane. That's what people should be pissed about.

Forget what they name the things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
People looking for the slightest infractions in speech, jokes and possible naming of Navel ships Some of you PC ers need to get a life ..The spelling infraction is on prepuce so you have something to do.

I am offended.

El Nox

Old 12-11-2015, 02:44 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What are you attempting to say here?

Reread the post I responded to. As many posts as you have made, I think you should be able to figure it out.

BTW ... I hope this question isn't some attempt to start an argument. If so, I'm not playing.

El Nox

Old 12-11-2015, 05:01 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,113,070 times
I can't wait until USS Barack H. Obama is unveiled in 2019, at a ceremony attended by President Hillary Clinton. The sheer fake outrage that will surely ensue . . . . "Aw, c'mon, you conservative guys are too frigging sensitive . . ." "But Obama disregarded the Constitution!!!!" "You mean like Andrew Jackson did? In Jackson's case, the Supreme Court ruled that he violated the Constitution, and he willfully disregarded the Court." "Mumble, mumble, [inaudible]."

Named after Jackson, MS? Has anyone ever been there? That is a total craphole. Knowing some of you, you probably would agree if I told you it's over 80% minorities.

Mick

Old 12-11-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
The amount of money you guys spend on your military is insane. That's what people should be pissed about.

Forget what they name the things.
For real. Conservatives try to cut absolutely everything, even Social Security and Medicare, in the name of saving a buck on taxes, but you try to cut military spending by a dollar . . . . they bleed from their V. Spending more on military than the next 10 nations combined every year is insane. . . .

Mick

Old 12-11-2015, 05:10 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Well, a little humor to cheer up your Friday.

Why do they break a bottle of champagne on the bow when they launch a ship?

Spoiler

BECAUSE IT IS SUICIDE IF YOU DO IT ON THE STERN!

Old 12-11-2015, 05:35 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Plenty, no doubt. The LCS program is a perfect example of how the US military appropriations process is designed to funnel money to the right districts and perhaps get us some ships in return. Although in this case, it's an exceptional amount of money for what appears to be extraordinarily useless warships.
Not at all a useless ship. It's really pretty much what the Navy needs for future third world combat. Great for chasing down pirates, for instance, which was one of the US Navy's first roles and its primary constitutional intention.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, a little humor to cheer up your Friday.

Why do they break a bottle of champagne on the bow when they launch a ship?

Spoiler

BECAUSE IT IS SUICIDE IF YOU DO IT ON THE STERN!
You need to explain this to us slow folks. I know what the bow and stern are, but still don't get it.

Mick

Old 12-11-2015, 05:55 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
They didn't name the ship after President Jackson, they named it after Jackson, Mississippi.
Only Carriers are named after the full names of Presidents.
That is why the ship is called the USS Jackson, not the USS Andrew J. Jackson.

bill (BM3, USN, 87 to 91, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Directly from the article.

"The ship is the Navy's third to bear the seventh president's name."
Activists and "journalist" have been known to make incorrect assumptions and have a knee-jerk response before. Roadrat is correct, naval vessels have established naming rules. I seriously doubt they would have used an act of congress to make an exception for President Jackson. Although, I suppose if you really wanted to get ridiculous about this, you could argue the city was named after him, therefore the ship is named after him too.

Sheesh, we might as well blow up Mount Rushmore, rename the vast majority of cities and some states, start calling all public schools by numbers, and put nothing but trees on all our money. At this rate we are going to have to eliminate reference to any male born before 1950 because of their veiws on a woman's place in society.

You can not hold historic figures to the standards of today, their inability to conform with today's norms does not change the impact they had on history. Context is important. I say this as a member of a couple of the demographics whose self appointed leaders seem to be leading this charge. It needs to stop.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:49 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Activists and "journalist" have been known to make incorrect assumptions and have a knee-jerk response before. Roadrat is correct, naval vessels have established naming rules. I seriously doubt they would have used an act of congress to make an exception for President Jackson. Although, I suppose if you really wanted to get ridiculous about this, you could argue the city was named after him, therefore the ship is named after him too.

Sheesh, we might as well blow up Mount Rushmore, rename the vast majority of cities and some states, start calling all public schools by numbers, and put nothing but trees on all our money. At this rate we are going to have to eliminate reference to any male born before 1950 because of their veiws on a woman's place in society.

You can not hold historic figures to the standards of today, their inability to conform with today's norms does not change the impact they had on history. Context is important. I say this as a member of a couple of the demographics whose self appointed leaders seem to be leading this charge. It needs to stop.
Well, you can hold historic figures to the standards of their day, and slavery had been recognized as a sin as early as 1644 (Roger Williams--founder of Rhode Island, founder of the first Baptist church in America, and originator of the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," champion of moral dealings with the Indians, was also the first American Abolitionist).

The Founding Fathers, including the slaveholders, actually openly recognized slavery as a sin...but acknowledged they couldn't give it up and continue to enjoy the lifestyle they'd become accustomed to.

But I agree with your point on this issue. As I said before, Navy ship naming convention pointed toward naming it for a city, and I suspect the politics of the Navy's appropriation for the ship had the predominant effect on which city they named it for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events