Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 11:09 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
That would bother me way more than not seeing Santa. Santa, snowflakes, and gingerbread are in no way a comparison to a menorah and Kwanzaa candles. A more apt comparison would be either Jesus or a Nativity, but we can't have that. The Jewish kids get a menorah, and the Christian kids get Santa (a secular figure).
They didn't get a menorah. They colored in a picture of one, while learning that there are indeed other celebrations going on apart from Christmas, which had been absolutely everywhere non stop since before thanksgiving.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:16 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
They didn't get a menorah. They colored in a picture of one, while learning that there are indeed other celebrations going on apart from Christmas, which had been absolutely everywhere non stop since before thanksgiving.
I didn't actually mean they get a menorah. They point is that the menorah is religious whereas Santa is not. Jesus? Sure. Three Wise Men? Yep. Nativity? Uh huh. If one religion "gets" a religious symbol, so should Christianity.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:25 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I didn't actually mean they get a menorah. They point is that the menorah is religious whereas Santa is not. Jesus? Sure. Three Wise Men? Yep. Nativity? Uh huh. If one religion "gets" a religious symbol, so should Christianity.
What is the one thing Santa asks every kid? "And what do YOU want for Christmas?" Christmas is a religious holiday, so if Santa addresses it, he is addressing religion and making the trip religious. As a Jewish child, I would have had to say "We don't celebrate Christmas" which would only confuse Santa and make me feel weird and different. It doesn't belong in school.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:41 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Santa is a symbol of Christmas, which is religious. Santa is irrevocably tied to Christmas. It represents Christmas for both secular and religious people. As does the menorah. Non practicing Jews I know celebrate both, especially of they're married to non Jewish spouses.

The point of my PP being, you can teach kids about other celebrations this time of year without requiring them to actively participate in any. They were told the story of each tradition. It wasn't just about the commercial aspect, but it was factual and not preachy.

I think when you have a diverse student body that's a good thing.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:51 AM

16,548 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Not exactly..Israel is not a secular state, in the US we have separation of state and religion.

This is one of the modern mistakes/misconceptions liberal brainwashing in schools has created.

No we do not have a mandate religion/s as a Constitutional Republic, however the overwhelming majority of this country has been Christian.
Even today in this secular promoted society, we still have close to 3/4 of our citizens who are some form of Christian denomination.
Regardless, it is not a matter of "separation of church & state" as interpreted by liberals, instead it is written in plain English.

The First Amendment never intended to separate Christian principles from government. Yet today we so often hear the First Amendment coupled with the phrase "separation of church and state." The First Amendment simply states;

"Congress shall make no law respecting and establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Obviously, the words "separation," "church," or "state" are not found in the First Amendment; Furthermore, that phrase appears in no founding document.
Rather it was intended by most who ratified the Constitution that unlike England that mandated religion adherence to the CoE, our countries government would not mandate such adherence.
That is a far cry from saying no religion can or will be allowed in the public sector.

Also, before you start to pivot and try to say the government is designed to protect the minority against the tyranny of the majority, that does not fly in regard to this situation. I clearly stated that traditions carried out through our history did not lead to an indoctrination of non-Christians. So while it might have been uncomfortable/weird for a small portion of the students to go see santa sing Christmas hymns or participate in a Christmas play, our nation has remained without a mandated religion.
If anything, liberals have created a tyranny against the majority all in the name of not offending the minority. Some would say that if a stadium of 100,000 had even a single non Christian in it at a public event, then nothing even overtly religious should occur.
Needless to say that is absurd, and none of the Founding Fathers would agree with such nonsense.

---

I didn't address the rest of your convoluted ranting regarding "social justice", wars, crime, etc., as it is not relevant to this discussion.
Frankly when people hear the term "social justice", it is a clear indication of a liberal running amok. Life is better by a much greater degree for people, yet to hear liberals talk about it, we need to continue to tear down any semblance of our traditions/past, all to appease the malcontents of society, no matter how small their number.

`

Old 12-27-2015, 12:05 PM

16,548 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What is the one thing Santa asks every kid? "And what do YOU want for Christmas?" Christmas is a religious holiday, so if Santa addresses it, he is addressing religion and making the trip religious. As a Jewish child, I would have had to say "We don't celebrate Christmas" which would only confuse Santa and make me feel weird and different. It doesn't belong in school.

Yeah, I am sure confusing a guy in a red suit pretending to be Santa is of great concern to kids.

Most of the Jewish friends I have never bat an eye about Christmas vs. Hanukah. I have one friend who I give a Christmas gift to every year, and he accepts it in the spirit in which it is given.
Heck one year I brought it to his house, and after giving it to him, asked where my Hanukah gift was. He was happy to give it to me (though he had never actually called it a Hanukah gift before). When he did I said "where are my other 7 presents". He chuckled at me with a quizzical look on his face. I said "why do you think I bring you a gift every year,,,,because I know one Christmas gift is suppose to equal 8 Hanukah gifts". He really got a kick out of that.

The point is that most Jews are not thin skinned walking around with a chip on their shoulders. They know and accept that America has always been a majority Christian country, founded on Christian and Jewish principles/values. They themselves undoubtedly experienced some of the same traditions in schools, and were not subliminally converted to Christianity.
Instead they have enjoyed the safety of this country that affords them as citizens to practice any religion they wish, and pass that on to their future generations. Only a uber liberal and/or malcontent would make an issue of such things.

`

Old 12-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Yeah, I am sure confusing a guy in a red suit pretending to be Santa is of great concern to kids.

Most of the Jewish friends I have never bat an eye about Christmas vs. Hanukah. I have one friend who I give a Christmas gift to every year, and he accepts it in the spirit in which it is given.
Heck one year I brought it to his house, and after giving it to him, asked where my Hanukah gift was. He was happy to give it to me (though he had never actually called it a Hanukah gift before). When he did I said "where are my other 7 presents". He chuckled at me with a quizzical look on his face. I said "why do you think I bring you a gift every year,,,,because I know one Christmas gift is suppose to equal 8 Hanukah gifts". He really got a kick out of that.

The point is that most Jews are not thin skinned walking around with a chip on their shoulders. They know and accept that America has always been a majority Christian country, founded on Christian and Jewish principles/values. They themselves undoubtedly experienced some of the same traditions in schools, and were not subliminally converted to Christianity.
Instead they have enjoyed the safety of this country that affords them as citizens to practice any religion they wish, and pass that on to their future generations. Only a uber liberal and/or malcontent would make an issue of such things.

`
I don't have a chip on my shoulders either. My brother married a Christian and we as a family celebrate Christmas now, I dont practice any religion as an adult. But it is not fair for a school to schedule a trip that will make some students feel different and excluded. These are 5 year olds, it has nothing to do with a chip on anyone's shoulder.

I also don't think it's right for kids from poor families to sit them on a strangers lap who is going to tell him he will get what he asks Santa for. Maybe that family is put into an awkward position, too. Let the parents take them if they choose. Why do we continually put more and more parental responsibility on the schools anyway? How is this school-related??

Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And I feel just the opposite. That whole "war on Christmas" is much ado about nothing. That from even before December 1, things began shifting to Christmas, Christmas, Christmas. On television, in stores, on select radio stations, etc. I don't think that there's a waking hour in at least 2 weeks that I haven't been bombarded with Christmas.

And yes, I still relate to being at least partly Christian (in fact, went to Christmas service last night for the first time in years), have my tree and decorations, have attended multiple holiday get-togethers with a couple more coming, sent my cards, gave my gifts. And more. In this "war", what is it that I haven't been able to do related to Christmas that I wanted to do. Not one thing.

What disappoints me the most about "the war on Christmas" is that those claiming it show no sensitivity for those who do not celebrate Christmas. Which is exactly the opposite of what I would call the "Christmas spirit".
You've used four posts attempting to contradict everything that I've said.

This is my response to all of them. There are people who are offended by Christmas. I find that offense intolerant. I don't need to be sensitive to their bigotry.

I've double checked. Aside from the USA, December 25 is a holiday in Mexico, Canada, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain. That's international enough for me.

Political correctness on Television is no substitute for morality and in my experience tolerance is selective at best. Violence and muffled sexuality has been substituted for stories about common decency and general obedience to the Ten Commandments. Don't lecture me about my version of right and wrong. I have an excellent moral compass.

I've successfully labeled "the War On Christmas" bigotry and intolerant. I hold those people who are even a bit anti Christmas to the same standard that they would hold me were I to be critical of their religious practices.

You've praised a post that called me names and posted false information. Honest debate doesn't include those two features.

What's your agenda?

Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You don't know about mandatory school attendance laws?
Give me a break.
You were wrong about Christmas being an international holiday. You could be wrong about this.
What states?

Old 12-27-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
You've used four posts attempting to contradict everything that I've said.

This is my response to all of them. There are people who are offended by Christmas. I find that offense intolerant. I don't need to be sensitive to their bigotry.

I've double checked. Aside from the USA, December 25 is a holiday in Mexico, Canada, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain. That's international enough for me.

Political correctness on Television is no substitute for morality and in my experience tolerance is selective at best. Violence and muffled sexuality has been substituted for stories about common decency and general obedience to the Ten Commandments. Don't lecture me about my version of right and wrong. I have an excellent moral compass.

I've successfully labeled "the War On Christmas" bigotry and intolerant. I hold those people who are even a bit anti Christmas to the same standard that they would hold me were I to be critical of their religious practices.

You've praised a post that called me names and posted false information. Honest debate doesn't include those two features.

What's your agenda?
The woman was not offended by Christmas, where are you even getting this from? She was concerned that HER child not feel left out on a school trip. Most parents do not have a political agenda but are worried about their own kids happiness and well-being. It's her baby boy and she doesn't want him to feel left out, that's all. It has nothing whatsoever to do with PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events