Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 12:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe because I was brought up in a Christian church. We never had Santa as a Christian symbol. No one I have ever known has had Santa as a Christian symbol, the fish, the cross, the nativity, Jesus, angles, God, never Santa. No one ever made a connection between Santa and God.

If Santa was a religious symbol his image would be banned from government offices, businesses displaying his image would be attacked and boycotted. There would be some proof of Santa in the Bible, in religious teachings. I dont know how you can keep insisting Santa, a myth created from many, many different origins and cultures and designed by the Coke a Cola Company is a religious symbol.

The fact that Christmas has become secular, that non-Christians celebrate Christmas with Santa, gifts, reindeer, etc. is very relevant. That is separate from the Christian religious celebration. The fact that Constantine fused pagan symbols and celebrations with his conversion to Christianity and that those pagan symbols are celebrated by the majority of people, religious or not, is relevant when your arguing these activities are of a religious nature.

If students were going to a church, going to see a nativity, or wise men, or Jesus, then yes that would be a Christian religious celebration.

Just for your clarification I did not say santa was satanic.
I too was brought up in a Christian home; in fact, I still go to a Christian church regularly, not just on Christmas and Easter. We didn't have Santa in the church, either. In point of fact, my mom and some of her friends were very anti-Santa (though he did bring us presents when we were little, and even trimmed the tree). However, here are some pictures of Santa in the church: https://www.google.com/search?q=sant...IomPUms_82M%3A There is no doubt that Santa is a symbol of Christmas, and thus Christian.

Heck, there are postage stamps with religious images on them. Religion isn't banned like that. Vintage Christmas Nativity, Baby Jesus in Manger Stamp | Zazzle You can't get more "government" than the postal service.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Really, you think a 5 year old is going to be embarrassed and put in a position to explain?
Yes. Take some time to talk to your Jewish friends if you have any, find out what they thought about all the Christmas hullaballoo in the schools "back in the day". You might be surprised.

Quote:
How much of your tax dollars were spent on these kids taking one hour to walk to a cafe?
I'm sure you could cost it out and it wouldn't be cheap.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes. Take some time to talk to your Jewish friends if you have any, find out what they thought about all the Christmas hullaballoo in the schools "back in the day". You might be surprised.

Sure, a brief walking trip to a local café means no school supplies for the rest of the year.

My guess is that many Jewish and other non-Christmas participants who remember 'back in the day' would be pleased that all this mother has to kvetch about is a piddly trip to see Santa Claus and dressing as reindeer.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Sure, a brief walking trip to a local café means no school supplies for the rest of the year.

My guess is that many Jewish and other non-Christmas participants who remember 'back in the day' would be pleased that all this mother has to kvetch about is a piddly trip to see Santa Claus and dressing as reindeer.
I know you're being facetious, but my child's school has exactly $72 left in the budget for the rest of the year.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

Here in Colorado, we provide our own school supplies. The teacher would have been paid to take these kids to the cafe. It's time s/he could have spent more wisely doing something else. S/he either would need a LOT of parent volunteers or else some para-pros to go along, to keep the kids safe.

We've heard from Jewish people who say they'd have no problem with this field trip, and others who object to it. It wasn't just the trip, as you well know. They spent a whole week on this Santa Claus/Christmas activity, including writing letters to Santa, which many Christian/non-secular people object to as well.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:15 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
I too was brought up in a Christian home; in fact, I still go to a Christian church regularly, not just on Christmas and Easter. We didn't have Santa in the church, either. In point of fact, my mom and some of her friends were very anti-Santa (though he did bring us presents when we were little, and even trimmed the tree). However, here are some pictures of Santa in the church: https://www.google.com/search?q=sant...IomPUms_82M%3A There is no doubt that Santa is a symbol of Christmas, and thus Christian.

Heck, there are postage stamps with religious images on them. Religion isn't banned like that. Vintage Christmas Nativity, Baby Jesus in Manger Stamp | Zazzle You can't get more "government" than the postal service.
So in your mind because you found an image on the internet of a santa figure doing storytime with Santa in one church that leaves no doubt that Santa is the symbol for the virgin birth of a savior of mankind and that a mythical figure formed of legends of pagan gods and 4th century saints among many others is a Christian ? And this overrides your experience of actually going to Christian church services where you never ever saw or heard reference to Santa Clause.

I'm very surprised someone hasn't complained about those vintage postage stamps. But those are from an independent website (zazzle) not from the US post office.

Quote:
No I dont have Jewish friends and we really aren't talking about back n the day. But I'm around enough 5 year old to form the opinion that they don't stress trying to explain to other 5 year old why they dont do XYZ like some others do. There probably just upset because they cant see Santa.

Why dont you cost it out. Figure how much that cost you as most monies for public schools are generated from property taxes within that district. My guess would be $0.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:20 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
No I dont have Jewish friends and we really aren't talking about back n the day. But I'm around enough 5 year old to form the opinion that they don't stress trying to explain to other 5 year old why they dont do XYZ like some others do. There probably just upset because they cant see Santa.

Why dont you cost it out. Figure how much that cost you as most monies for public schools are generated from property taxes within that district. My guess would be $0.
Consider me shocked. Not.

And no, they are not upset at not getting to see Santa if they don't believe in Santa because they don't celebrate Christmas.

And despite all the tap dancing, Santa = Christmas. Doesn't matter if he's a religious figure, he's still a symbol of a Christian holiday.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:22 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
[quote=Katarina Witt;42425820]
Quote:
Here in Colorado, we provide our own school supplies. The teacher would have been paid to take these kids to the cafe. It's time s/he could have spent more wisely doing something else. S/he either would need a LOT of parent volunteers or else some para-pros to go along, to keep the kids safe.
Like coloring or watching movies?

Quote:
We've heard from Jewish people who say they'd have no problem with this field trip, and others who object to it. It wasn't just the trip, as you well know. They spent a whole week on this Santa Claus/Christmas activity, including writing letters to Santa, which many Christian/non-secular people object to as well.
Really we dont know they spent an entire week on Santa/Christmas. We know they wrote a letter to Santa. Seriously doubt that took a week. In any event, IMO, this should be something put on the agenda for a scheduled school board meeting to allow everyone to voice their opinions and come up with a compromise for any future holiday activity or none at all. I hope they are getting the jump on Valentine day and Easter at this school.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Most stores are in the red until black Friday. Christmas is the reason why retailers can actually make money.

You take away Christmas and the whole economy will tank.

Just go ask any retailer and they'll confirm this.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
A visit to Santa is a nice experience for families. Let these lazy parents take their kids to see Santa on their own time. It's not the school's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events