Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 02:04 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Santa is important to people, especially MOST kindergartners in the USA....HE NEEDS TO STAY!!!!
No one is trying to get rid of Santa. He is welcome at department stores, malls, parades, and your home.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:16 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Santa is important to people, especially MOST kindergartners in the USA....HE NEEDS TO STAY!!!!
Oh for god's sake he's not going anywhere.

I seriously doubt there are many other instances where kids go on a field trip to specifically see Santa. It's just odd.

It's not a school thing and as far I know, never was.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Except I was responding to a post about school sports.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:19 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh for god's sake he's not going anywhere.

I seriously doubt there are many other instances where kids go on a field trip to specifically see Santa. It's just odd.

It's not a school thing and as far I know, never was.
Exactly. They probably want the school to introduce their children to the tooth fairy, as well.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:23 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Ok, thank you. Protestants have declined from 53% to 48% in USA I will accept that. Since this is a USA event Im not interested in the global make up. Now what Im more interested in is proof the religious majority honors/celebrates Saint Nicholas and is a key figure in their faith, religion and holidays. Because this has not been my experience, but then again I have always lived in a Protestant majority area.
Unlike Protestants, Roman Catholics and the various branches that together make up Eastern Orthodoxy both venerate saints (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veneration). In fact, Catholics have a specific day set aside just to venerate all of the Church's saints, a day on which attendance at Mass is obligatory: All Saints' Day (which conveniently falls on Halloween, another one of those bits of syncreatism the early church excelled at). A basic Catholic education generally includes instruction about many of the most famous saints in addition to basic theology, and some especially devout Catholics will also attend mass on the feast days of individual saints whose lives have a special meaning to them.

So any Catholic who's had a decent religious education indeed knows about Saint Nicholas, and (by virtue of his sainthood) regards him as an important religious figure, even in his modern guise as Santa Claus. The lines about about Good King Wenceslas going out on the Feast of Stephen aren't just lines in a Christmas carol to educated Catholics, either, as both Wenceslas and Stephen are also famous saints (and actual people, not mythic figures).

Old 12-22-2015, 02:23 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I am consistent, it's just that you seem to be either unable or unwilling to understand a simple Constitutional concept - a Government institution should not be sponsoring religion. Sports are not religion.
Again, we then need to remove all Christmas symbols and paid holidays from ALL government institutions and government funded institutions. This would include the White House Christmas tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Kwanzaa is a cultural event, not a religious one. So no Constitutional issue.
And Santa Claus is a cultural event, not a religious one.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
WRONG....BACK UP....in the Santa example, it was a single day field trip....so let's use the apples to apples comparison....if I chose to live in a predominantly black neighborhood and if they were planning a Kwanza Field trip for a day and I didn't want my child to go....I would absolutely have no issue of keeping my child home for the day. As opposed to raising a stink and making the school cancel the trip
Nope, read the original linked article and the one linked within it.

Quote:
“We can’t spend five days on just one culture. That’s fostering intolerance. When Christmas is given the same time, or less time, than American holidays, like Veterans Day, then kids don’t feel as American.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...m_content=link

Quote:
Talia, a certified California teacher herself who requested her last name not be used, says she didn’t like the fact that one religion, Christianity, was the focus of most of the December teachings in school. Specifically, she didn’t like her daughter writing letters to the North Pole for two days in a row, dressing up as reindeer, and a big annual field trip to the local coffee shop where the kids sit on Santa’s lap and ask for presents.
Santa Field Trip Canceled in San Jose: Mom Accused of Waging 'War on Christmas' | NBC Bay Area

Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Again, we then need to remove all Christmas symbols and paid holidays from ALL government institutions and government funded institutions. This would include the White House Christmas tree.
Yes, we do. What is wrong with that?

Old 12-22-2015, 03:04 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, we do. What is wrong with that?
STAMP OUT ALL REMANTS OF TRADITION!!!! No more infidels!!!!

Old 12-22-2015, 03:18 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
And Santa Claus is a cultural event, not a religious one.
Christmas is not a "cultural event."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events