Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:57 PM

112 posts, read 184,583 times

Advertisements

So I can foresee, as it seems to becoming the American way, that Bass Pro Shops announces they will no longer offer a "Free Photo with Santa Day" due to the likelihood of becoming embroiled in another bout of public outrage in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 08:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Outrage sure comes to some easily.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:05 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I'd like to read Santa's side of the story.
He posted his side on his FB page, it's on an earlier page of the thread:

Here is the text from Glen Burkett's Facebook post, copied and pasted:
"This photograph has gone viral on Facebook and on television. This child was brought to me strapped in a wheelchair and on a ventilator. I assumed they would bring the child in the chair to the set so I went to assist. They unhooked the child from the vent and placed him in my arms with a plastic tube in his throat. I was stunned but as carefully as I could I walked over in front of the camera. The child could not respond to the bells and squeakers used to direct their attention for a photograph and I was given no instructions on how to handle this child. With him cradled in my arms to support his head I manipulated him for the best picture by positioning my body at an awkward angle toward the camera, got the picture and returned him to his family and caretakers as quickly as possible. They approved of the picture initially-retakes are sometimes requested, but not in this case. Then this family contacted a television station and said I refused to sit with this child on my lap to take a picture! No one requested anything and I delivered the best picture I,could of this child for Christmas!"

Old 12-26-2015, 12:15 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

"...They approved of the picture initially-retakes are sometimes requested, but not in this case. Then this family contacted a television station and said I refused to sit with this child on my lap to take a picture! No one requested anything and I delivered the best picture I,could of this child for Christmas!"
Geez, if it was soooo important to have a 'normal' picture of the child on Santa's lap, they should have said something when they reviewed and approved the picture.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:39 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Another trivial, local incident trying to generate national outrage. I'm sorry but I just don't care.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:07 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Mom should be enjoying every moment with her sick child rather than wasting precious moments ranting on social media and soliciting attention from local news stations. All over a kind gesture by Bass Pro Shops. Pathetic.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:17 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

"This photograph has gone viral on Facebook and on television. This child was brought to me strapped in a wheelchair and on a ventilator. I assumed they would bring the child in the chair to the set so I went to assist. They unhooked the child from the vent and placed him in my arms with a plastic tube in his throat. I was stunned but as carefully as I could I walked over in front of the camera. The child could not respond to the bells and squeakers used to direct their attention for a photograph and I was given no instructions on how to handle this child. With him cradled in my arms to support his head I manipulated him for the best picture by positioning my body at an awkward angle toward the camera, got the picture and returned him to his family and caretakers as quickly as possible. They approved of the picture initially-retakes are sometimes requested, but not in this case. Then this family contacted a television station and said I refused to sit with this child on my lap to take a picture! No one requested anything and I delivered the best picture I,could of this child for Christmas!"
I did see it after reading through the other threads, but thank you for posting it again and letting me know where the quote came from. It sounds like these people are just looking for a big payday.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:30 PM

639 posts, read 579,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
People in this country have become do intolerant, blowing up every perceived injustice and taking it to social media. I'm sure the old man playing Santa was just trying to do the best thing for this baby.
In our attempt to be tolerant of anything, We've become intolerant to everything.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:03 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
After reading the Santa's post about this incident, I think the mom in this family is just someone who wants attention.

The fact that she went to a TV station to complain rather than to the management makes me very skeptical of her motivations.

https://www.facebook.com/glenn.burke...05718856310514
Yeah, after the outrage from her efforts to draw attention to her "gofundme" page no doubt, she is "claiming" that the reporter twisted the story and SHE has apologized to the Santa because she states she never thought HE did anything wrong. Really?? Cause looking at your FB post, that is not the case. You blamed him in your FB post, so how did the reporter screw that up. Everyone wants to be the victim these days.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:11 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Yeah, after the outrage from her efforts to draw attention to her "gofundme" page no doubt, she is "claiming" that the reporter twisted the story and SHE has apologized to the Santa because she states she never thought HE did anything wrong. Really?? Cause looking at your FB post, that is not the case. You blamed him in your FB post, so how did the reporter screw that up. Everyone wants to be the victim these days.
Would you happen to have a link to her page?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events