Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:50 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a gay guy who is partnered to another gay guy and once upon a time dated a trans person, I don't understand why so many trans people get offended by the pronouns.

I get called queen all the time. I get people assuming I like females all the time. Never once have I felt offended. But god forbids if I accidentally refer xyz to "he" or "him".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I asked the same thing earlier on. I think if it was a genuine mistake, this is of course fine. I don't think the law would cover a one time, genuine mistake. I think it's more directed towards mean-spirited, intentional commentary and refusal to be tolerant of others. But the thing is, this is a fine line.

I have an issue with the law itself but not the principle of the law. I think it's common sense that people, if they know the person is trans and don't mistake the gender by accident, call others by the gender or name they request.
Yeah, but look how many times someone made a genuine mistake and still got reprimanded for it. I was just thankful that I never said "he" or "she" and that he wasn't trying to make conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Or he was cashing someone else's check.
No, the name on his ID matched the name on the name on the check. He became a she. The photo on his ID was of him all-done-up like a lady. You could tell it was the same person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Bank tellers will be the first to be sued for failing to cash stolen checks. Better to just cash the checks than to take a chance at hurting MaryJoe's feelings.
What? No, I won't. If I cash a stolen check, I get in trouble because I cost the client money which the bank has to repay. If I don't cash the stolen check, I get praised.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:49 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Don't drag gays into this. Gay is what the trans do not want to be. Gay is what they wish to erase from existence with the puberty blockers they want to give children. I don't know why the T wants to be part of the L and G. And I wish people would stop conflating the two.
I'm "dragging gays into this" because I'm responding to a poster who has a history of posting about gays and their mental health also.

He is both homophobic and transphobic. Virulently.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Doesn't hurt my feeling a bit since I don't subscribe to such fantasy. Nor does it come into the world in which I now work or my outside business activities - I still don't and won't rent to trannies.
Good, I'd hate for them to have you as a landlord. That's one blessing they can count on.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm "dragging gays into this" because I'm responding to a poster who has a history of posting about gays and their mental health also.
IOW, you have an agenda to pursue, and the sensitivities of a group which doesn't want to be involved be damned. Right?

Quote:
He is both homophobic and transphobic. Virulently.
There go those made up words again, trying to vilify others with nonsensical babble.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
There go those made up words again.
I prefer "gayhater" to "homophobe" any day of the week. It says it like it is.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
IOW, you have an agenda to pursue, and the sensitivities of a group which doesn't want to be involved be damned. Right?
Sure, you say that like it's a bad thing. If you really didn't want to be involved, you wouldn't post in every single thread that mentions gays or transgenders.

Quote:
There go those made up words again, trying to vilify others with nonsensical babble.
I'm not trying. And virulently is not a made up word.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Oh rubbish.

Absolute nonsense. You're telling me that adolescent boys are going to dress up like girls in order to commit sexual assault in public bathrooms? Adolescent boys who are so embarrassed by everything that they can barely function, let alone function in public, dressed as girls?

Bwhahahaha! Priceless.
You don't know much about human behavior, do you?

Old 01-03-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You don't know much about human behavior, do you?
About as much as this guy, I suppose...

Quote:
Minneapolis Police Department: Fears About Sexual Assault "Not Even Remotely" A Problem. Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder told Media Matters in an interview that sexual assaults stemming from Minnesota's 1993 transgender non-discrimination law have been "not even remotely" a problem. Based on his experience, the notion of men posing as transgender women to enter women's restrooms to commit sex crimes "sounds a little silly," Elder said. According to Elder, a police department inquiry found "nothing" in the way of such crimes in the city. [Phone interview, 3/11/14]
http://mediamatters.org/research/201...-bathro/198533

Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 AM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Speaking as a gay guy who is partnered to another gay guy and once upon a time dated a trans person, I don't understand why so many trans people get offended by the pronouns.

I get called queen all the time. I get people assuming I like females all the time. Never once have I felt offended. But god forbids if I accidentally refer xyz to "he" or "him".

It is all part of the PC word police playbook. Just look at how a few libs in this thread object to me calling Bruce Jenner a "he", or a tranny.
Yet trannys themselves use the term without thinking twice about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events