Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:10 PM

51,027 posts, read 36,735,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
How interesting ...... When I was in the US Army I could be drug tested with no notice and no probable cause whatsoever. "It's the day to test everyone in Battalion XYZ" was about all it took. Sounds like some welfare folks have more rights than I did.
There are a whole lot of things that they can do in the military that they can't do in civilian life. Never heard of any regular employer sitting you in a chair and shaving your head first day of work, either. Private citizens are protected as they should be, I guess you sign those rights away when you belong to the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:56 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,243,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Churches may have tried but they FAILED.. The Job was TOO LARGE and the Funding TOO Small.. Same is true today! BTW Samaritans Purse pays Franklin Graham $620,000.00 a year and BGEA Pays him another $264,000.00 every year as well. IMHO You lack a lot of facts for your post.. Others have already corrected you with the FACT that welfare didn't exist..

And you, like sleepy, seem to have a reading comprehension problem. I never asserted that welfare existed during the depression.

Perhaps my point is too nuanced for you. In fact, I'm certain it is.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
And you, like sleepy, seem to have a reading comprehension problem. I never asserted that welfare existed during the depression.

Perhaps my point is too nuanced for you. In fact, I'm certain it is.
Yes, this is how well all those charities that supposedly existed were able to help so many:

We also know that food riots broke out in many states.
In the Pennsylvania coal fields, three or four families crowded together in one-room shacks and lived on wild weeds. In Arkansas, families were found inhabiting caves. In Oakland, California, whole families lived in sewer pipes. President Herbert Hoover declared, "Nobody is actually starving. The hoboes are better fed than they have ever been." But in New York City in 1931, there were 20 known cases of starvation; in 1934, there were 110 deaths caused by hunger. There were so many accounts of people starving in New York that the West African nation of Cameroon sent $3.77 in relief.

Stossel: No need for Government Programs Cuz No One Starved to Death in Great Depression (Updatex2)

Old 01-01-2016, 03:59 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,392,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are a whole lot of things that they can do in the military that they can't do in civilian life. Never heard of any regular employer sitting you in a chair and shaving your head first day of work, either. Private citizens are protected as they should be, I guess you sign those rights away when you belong to the military.
So what's wrong with signing away some rights when one elcts to live on the public dole?

Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,433,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I would hate to see us impose laws that would allow the automatic removal of children from the homes of people with a mental disability. Children should only be removed from parents who have demonstrated that they either won't or can't care for them- not on the basis of a psychiatric diagnosis.

Maybe before we talk about taking kids away from their parents we need to look at the availability and quality of mental health services, particularly to the poor. In many parts of the country the only mental health care for medicaid patients is through "crisis clinics" which are not usually adequately staffed to deal with the long term care and treatment of the chronically mentally ill -so once they are 'stabilized' no further treatment or care is provided.

One of the biggest problem with taking kids away from their parents is - what do we do with them then? The foster care system is a disaster- the outlook for kids in foster care pretty much parallels what kids left in homes with inadequate/abusive homes experience..so is it even worth it to take them out of the home unless they are in danger of physical harm when we don't have a better option for them?
Would you allow a mentally disabled person to raise your child?

Old 01-01-2016, 04:58 PM

42,875 posts, read 26,406,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Would you allow a mentally disabled person to raise your child?
lol that's one bizarre question

Old 01-01-2016, 05:20 PM

7,063 posts, read 6,328,983 times
I worked in nonprofits for most of my career & was subject to random drug tests throughout. I always passed, of course, but it certainly didn't offend me. I,personally, wouldn't care to work with someone who was doing drugs.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,193,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I worked in nonprofits for most of my career & was subject to random drug tests throughout. I always passed, of course, but it certainly didn't offend me. I,personally, wouldn't care to work with someone who was doing drugs.
Statistically it's highly likely you've worked with people who used drugs in their off hours and never even knew it. I don't really want to sit at a desk next to someone shooting up, but past that as long as they meet or exceed all the other requirements of employment I really don't care what they do on their own time.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,302,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I only read part of the article because it is so disgusting but this is the type of person who is mentally ill (the article says bi-polar), was doomed to start with (child of an alcoholic and a druggie, and was raised in the poorest city in this entire state.)

DSS in this state is always a mess, there is a long history of under funding that results in too high a caseload for the workers to manage. That results in discoveries that are too late--like kids being found dead when they should have been removed from the home to begin with.

This unfortunate soul never stood a chance. From what I read, all she knows is stealing, lying, breaking rules, taking advantage, cheating the system. Her oldest child is in jail so the cycle continues.

Needed is more funding and intervention. I wish some agency could have removed HER from her childhood home before she was damaged. It never happened.
Nobody will ever do anything to stop this cycle.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So what's wrong with signing away some rights when one elcts to live on the public dole?
Everything. Too many people fought and died for our rights to just willy nilly take them away from those who SOME think don't deserve them whenever we feel like it. Either they mean something or they mean nothing and those who died for them died for nothing. Move if you want to live in a country where rights and freedoms can be given and taken at a whim.

P.S. This lady didn't choose one single thing in her horror show of a life. Walk a mile in her shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events