Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:04 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,827,136 times

Advertisements

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...DAO/story.html

I tried to paste link above, but this sad story is a frank illustration of how welfare benefits are abused. Woman has spent her entire life on benefits. She has never been gainfully employed. Sec 8 pays her rent, even after her kids have been removed. Her alcoholic baby daddy lives with her illegally. She receives cash for her "disability" of addiction, which she of course uses to buy drugs. She converts food stamps into money for drugs. She illegally rents out rooms in her sec 8 apt to dealers, in exchange for drugs. She refuses inpt drug rehab, out of fear of losing her sec 8 voucher. Even though she has lost custody of all her many previous children, she has not gotten sterilized, and dcf lets her keep and neglect yet another two. It took dcf 4 or 5 years to finally remove these last two kids. Can you imagine at what risk of molestation they were put when mother sublet rooms to her dealers? And of course dcf is working on family reunification for this mother and her neglected children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 12:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,060,185 times
I like the states who have made it mandatory for people to be drug tested before receiving/staying on certain benefits. I support this nationwide, personally. Welfare benefits are meant to help people get back on their feet, not support them and their lazy, illegal habits for life. It's a good system in theory but it is heavily abused, which is to be expected quite honestly, which makes it far less effective and worth it IMHO.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:02 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,861,777 times
I only read part of the article because it is so disgusting but this is the type of person who is mentally ill (the article says bi-polar), was doomed to start with (child of an alcoholic and a druggie, and was raised in the poorest city in this entire state.)

DSS in this state is always a mess, there is a long history of under funding that results in too high a caseload for the workers to manage. That results in discoveries that are too late--like kids being found dead when they should have been removed from the home to begin with.

This unfortunate soul never stood a chance. From what I read, all she knows is stealing, lying, breaking rules, taking advantage, cheating the system. Her oldest child is in jail so the cycle continues.

Needed is more funding and intervention. I wish some agency could have removed HER from her childhood home before she was damaged. It never happened.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:41 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,875,539 times
Carbon copy of the life of the woman who sh@t me out.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:25 PM

8,929 posts, read 4,644,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I only read part of the article because it is so disgusting but this is the type of person who is mentally ill (the article says bi-polar), was doomed to start with (child of an alcoholic and a druggie, and was raised in the poorest city in this entire state.)

DSS in this state is always a mess, there is a long history of under funding that results in too high a caseload for the workers to manage. That results in discoveries that are too late--like kids being found dead when they should have been removed from the home to begin with.

This unfortunate soul never stood a chance. From what I read, all she knows is stealing, lying, breaking rules, taking advantage, cheating the system. Her oldest child is in jail so the cycle continues.

Needed is more funding and intervention. I wish some agency could have removed HER from her childhood home before she was damaged. It never happened.
Jebus, we've been throwing money at this issue my entire adult life, and the last thing we need is to up the ante. You will never break the chain of dependency by spending more money. That will only make the problems worse. There are solutions but they are all harsh and will likely not happen until some catastrophic event forces them to be implemented.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 PM

5,805 posts, read 5,144,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...DAO/story.html

I tried to paste link above, but this sad story is a frank illustration of how welfare benefits are abused. Woman has spent her entire life on benefits. She has never been gainfully employed. Sec 8 pays her rent, even after her kids have been removed. Her alcoholic baby daddy lives with her illegally. She receives cash for her "disability" of addiction, which she of course uses to buy drugs. She converts food stamps into money for drugs. She illegally rents out rooms in her sec 8 apt to dealers, in exchange for drugs. She refuses inpt drug rehab, out of fear of losing her sec 8 voucher. Even though she has lost custody of all her many previous children, she has not gotten sterilized, and dcf lets her keep and neglect yet another two. It took dcf 4 or 5 years to finally remove these last two kids. Can you imagine at what risk of molestation they were put when mother sublet rooms to her dealers? And of course dcf is working on family reunification for this mother and her neglected children.
This is what happens when excessive, I hate to use this word, "liberal" bias enters the discourse on social policies. Too much emphasis on individual rights at the expense of collective societal benefit. She should have been forced into drug rehab, kept under surveillance until she is clean, gainfully employed and sterilized. It would have been far better for her, for her unborn children and for society as a whole.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:03 PM

5,805 posts, read 5,144,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Jebus, we've been throwing money at this issue my entire adult life, and the last thing we need is to up the ante. You will never break the chain of dependency by spending more money. That will only make the problems worse. There are solutions but they are all harsh and will likely not happen until some catastrophic event forces them to be implemented.
Yes, like a gigantic drug epidemic. I support rounding up all the drug addicts and force them all into rehab. They are not allowed out until they are clean for a certain amount of time and learn a liveable skill.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:06 PM

500 posts, read 320,861 times
My tax dollars at work! What a waste on such a disgusting, totally irresponsible pig.

Judging by the tone of the article I guess we are supposed to feel sorrow or sympathy for that bloated lump of humanity...I simply feel nauseated.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:16 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,217,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

More funding?

Old 12-27-2015, 04:22 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,442,535 times
Money just allows people to continue doing something they couldn't afford to do if they had to pay for it themself. Get rid of welfare for non-working families and for dysfunctional families. We are paying for the results we are getting and wonder why nothing changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events