Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
My first thought is that if you are on disability due to metal illness. You need to be in some sort of behavioral health program. I have no problem with my tax dollars supporting someone who is disabled, but if that person can be helped by treatment they need to go if they want their benefits. I really don't think that's asking too much.
In this case, yes, I agree. The article did state that she was bi-polar. Although some bi-polar people can keep it under control as long as they take their medication. I do think that rather than just throwing money at things, there has to be a better plan. In Massachusetts, the department of human services is notorious for not keeping an eye on these cases. No one notices until some child dies or is found to be horribly abused.

When a disaster occurs, whatever governor happens to be in charge makes a speech and points the finger at the Dept of Human Services. Says it's their fault, blah blah blah. Orders an investigation. Then it stays really quiet until the next time. Nothing is really done at all, nothing changes. If someone would come up with a real plan that would work, I wouldn't mind money being given to human services.

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-28-2015 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...DAO/story.html

I tried to paste link above, but this sad story is a frank illustration of how welfare benefits are abused. Woman has spent her entire life on benefits. She has never been gainfully employed. Sec 8 pays her rent, even after her kids have been removed. Her alcoholic baby daddy lives with her illegally. She receives cash for her "disability" of addiction, which she of course uses to buy drugs. She converts food stamps into money for drugs. She illegally rents out rooms in her sec 8 apt to dealers, in exchange for drugs. She refuses inpt drug rehab, out of fear of losing her sec 8 voucher. Even though she has lost custody of all her many previous children, she has not gotten sterilized, and dcf lets her keep and neglect yet another two. It took dcf 4 or 5 years to finally remove these last two kids. Can you imagine at what risk of molestation they were put when mother sublet rooms to her dealers? And of course dcf is working on family reunification for this mother and her neglected children.
I will pray for her.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:55 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,800 times
Why can we not put an IUD in people if they give their consent? It is good for 5 years and the person doesn't have to do anything to maintain it. It's also recommended for women that have already had children, which she has. I guess at her age (47) she is not likely to get pregnant again but for younger women it's cheaper to pay for an IUD than all the many children they'll create in drug-induced hazes with drug addict men. It would give the addict some kind of chance.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I will pray for her.
She needs more than Jesus.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:00 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I agree, and I want states to take kids quickly in such environments, so the kids have a shot at real life, not junkie life.
As a caveat, since society will take the burden of parenting on her behalf (and that cost money from you and me), this woman must be sterilized for life, no choice.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:02 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Why can we not put an IUD in people if they give their consent? It is good for 5 years and the person doesn't have to do anything to maintain it. It's also recommended for women that have already had children, which she has. I guess at her age (47) she is not likely to get pregnant again but for younger women it's cheaper to pay for an IUD than all the many children they'll create in drug-induced hazes with drug addict men. It would give the addict some kind of chance.
Why the need for their consent? It needs to be contingent on their welfare benefit and housing. Or better yet, juts round her up and do it.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:07 AM

658 posts, read 1,142,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I like the states who have made it mandatory for people to be drug tested before receiving/staying on certain benefits. I support this nationwide, personally. Welfare benefits are meant to help people get back on their feet, not support them and their lazy, illegal habits for life. It's a good system in theory but it is heavily abused, which is to be expected quite honestly, which makes it far less effective and worth it IMHO.

despite the fact that various national and regional studies have shown the testing actually LOSES money?

Old 12-28-2015, 03:09 AM

658 posts, read 1,142,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
This is what happens when excessive, I hate to use this word, "liberal" bias enters the discourse on social policies. Too much emphasis on individual rights at the expense of collective societal benefit. She should have been forced into drug rehab, kept under surveillance until she is clean, gainfully employed and sterilized. It would have been far better for her, for her unborn children and for society as a whole.

yes, the coerced sterilization of a person is a great conservative position to endorse.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:43 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Money just allows people to continue doing something they couldn't afford to do if they had to pay for it themself. Get rid of welfare for non-working families and for dysfunctional families. We are paying for the results we are getting and wonder why nothing changes.
There is something to be said for that idea. There is no reason for a person that isn't working to live in a high cost city and have their own apartment. I advocate bringing back "poor farms" but in a humane way. We taxpayers would provide the land, tools and capital for a self sustaining farming community. No drugs. No alcohol. No cigarettes. You work on the farm for a good portion of the day or work in the community kitchen. No television. Self improvement and skills training would fill your free time after work. You would be paid a very small stipend that is kept for you upon proving yourself able to take care of yourself.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
I love it; the story starts out with her "chain smoking Newport cigarettes" @ 8.77 per pack according to a quick google search. She (actually the taxpayers) probably spends AT LEAST 15 dollars per day on smokes. She is very overweight and drug addicted. All of this paid for by US.

We are paying for her to kill herself slowly.

As you move down reading the story you see her using bottled oxygen ? You also see her with at least 15 pill bottles. Not only are we shoveling money into her slow death; we are also paying for medical care so that her life is extended. We are wasting cash on this woman. She needs to be committed to an institution as it would probably cost us much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events