Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,602,149 times

Advertisements

I have no sympathy for our fellow citizens who choose to make themselves political hostages by willingly traveling to hostile nations like N Korea, Iran, Syria, Somalia, etc.

It's very simple: if you don't want to be kidnapped by a hostile govt, don't go there.

I see all who end up being held hostage in such situations as self-inflicted wounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 10:22 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,529,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I have no sympathy for our fellow citizens who choose to make themselves political hostages by willingly traveling to hostile nations like N Korea, Iran, Syria, Somalia, etc.

It's very simple: if you don't want to be kidnapped by a hostile govt, don't go there.

I see all who end up being held hostage in such situations as self-inflicted wounds.
Iran does not belong in that list. I would agree that North Korea, Syria (active warzone exception), Somalia (active warzone exception), and a handful of other places are too dangerous for travel (although my objection to North Korea is at least as much ethics as danger).

Old 01-25-2016, 12:20 PM

8,516 posts, read 6,938,310 times
Thought Dennis Rodman was the only American crazy enough to travel to N Korea.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:09 PM

5,667 posts, read 5,101,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Iran does not belong in that list. I would agree that North Korea, Syria (active warzone exception), Somalia (active warzone exception), and a handful of other places are too dangerous for travel (although my objection to North Korea is at least as much ethics as danger).
Why do you feel Iran should not be on a list of countries to be avoided? Just curious.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:24 PM

Lightbulb So, you haven't been keeping up with current events...

Quote:
Iran does not belong in that list.
Oh, really...

Homecoming for Americans Hostages Freed From Iran Video - ABC News

Old 01-25-2016, 05:49 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,529,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why do you feel Iran should not be on a list of countries to be avoided? Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Because it gets 5 million visitors annually, including many from the West. Because the examples of Americans detained in Iran is nothing like what happens to 99.9% of visitors in Iran.

The four detainees freed from Iran were:

1) An Iranian-American pastor who was convicted of holding private religious gatherings in violation of Iranian law,
2) An Iranian-American in the US marines convicted of espionage/practical collaboration with the US government (Iran does not recognize US-Iranian dual citizenship, so it treats dual citizens as if they are only Iranian citizens),
3) An Iranian-American businessman likely arrested for founding a political organization advocating secular democracy in Iran,
4) An Iranian-American journalist convicted of espionage for reasons that remain fairly opaque.

Common thread? All Iranian-American dual citizens, putting them in a precarious position under Iranian law. Also engaged in political activities that likely raise flags for the regime in Iran.

I'm certainly not saying that Iran is a liberal democracy, but it does not belong in a list with North Korea and active war zones as destinations to avoid.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I'm certainly not saying that Iran is a liberal democracy,
Good. Because that would be ridiculous beyond words.

Quote:
but it does not belong in a list with North Korea and active war zones as destinations to avoid.
Iran is a very hostile terrorist sponsoring state that illegally seizes and holds Americans who travel there. Just as N Korea does. They're on the same list for the same reasons.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,773,559 times
Some Americans enjoy going to 3rd world countries because they feel superior and more special. In America they're just average Joe but once they set foot in a very remote and closed off country it's like being Christopher Columbus and meeting the Indians the 1st time. Except North Korea maybe behind the times but not by that much.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,279,019 times
I find the late Christopher Hitchens' comparison of North Korea with Heaven to be interesting and amusing.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 AM

35,773 posts, read 21,148,087 times
why do people climb mountains to freeze? people do whatever they think big enough to do- and when get in trouble then we bail 'em out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events